No Grilling on the Big Guys for awhile

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Well, right now my Wolf is sitting in my family room (had to nearly remove the patio door to get that bad boy in), because it is just too big and heavy weighing in at about 350-400lbs and the Genesis is sitting in the garage. Have a contractor coming by today to begin stripping my deck in preparation to getting it stained (hopefully on Monday).
In the meantime, last evening took some gorgeous pork chops to my dad's house. Put his old Genesis 2000 to work on those bad boys. For those people who think you need something special to get great sear and grill marks again here is proof you don't. His grill has simple 3/8" stainless rod grates from an old built in Summit I scrapped out many years ago. Also the grill was NOT on max heat but actually I was using it with front and rear burners on medium only and cooking over the turned off center burner. Yet what I got could have come out of the Chicago Chop House. And yeah they were THAT GOOD!
1598015822741.png

Larry, how do you season them? Do you just grill them until they hit the USDA temp for pork?

Thanks Ed, I’m going to start chipping away at the scale, then, maybe angle grind a bit more, it's been a crazypast six months, kitchen remodel interruption with COVID. Needed to have an arborist deal with a damaged walnut tree limb th day before leaving for vacation, home to a mis measured counter project taking another week to got finally installed. Still waiting for parts for the electrical work! Demolished our old waterbed frame, assembled the new platform bed. And I’m just feeling dragged out tonight! The Frankenfirepit can wait for any other time, no pressure for a time line on this one!
Geeze, it feels like it’s been a very long day.

Oh my goodness, I NEVER thought I would hear from another waterbed owner! We have been sleeping on a wb since they were cool back in the early '70s. When we sprang a leak, always at the seam, we would prop the leaking area up with towels and rags to keep it from leaking until we could deal with it. My wife, who has her own way with words, would tell our friends that our bed was on the rags.

I don't think there is much you can do to halt, or even slow, the progression of rust on your Frankenfirepit, and like you say, you have other priorities and life events goin' on. No stress...but still 'way cool in my book!

Bruce, I usually make my own rub with a small amount of cayenne, some turmeric, smoked paprika, dark chili powder, cumin, black pepper and coarse salt. Put some on and then onto the grill she goes. IIRC I pulled those chops at 145. Rested them a couple minutes. I did them on indirect with the 2 outer burners on a medium setting. I did no special "sear"

Well Ed, I figure the pit will out last me anyway but, chipping a few square inches at a time would be a better way to spend time than watching lousy TV. But by the time I got the thing cleaned up in the last place the first would look like I’d never started!
I will think about it, low priority to say the least. Now, screw removal on the rest of the side rails then figuring out where I will store the parts!

Timothy, I recently bought a gallon of Ospho (45% phosphoric acid, converts rust to iron phosphate) so now I'm running around with a "solution" looking for a problem to solve. I think I'd be inclined to paint it on a very small area of the Frankenfirepit, well away from areas that food may come in contact with, and see how it holds up.

Here's a page devoted to the health effects of iron phosphate, commonly used in snail and slug bait, so if you have any little ankle biters (kids) running loose in the neighborhood, use with discretion.

Back