No chuck roll..so bronto ribs--Again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
somehow they just dont get old...

Neways.. i went to butcher today (without meat map) and he had no idea what i was talking about.. he told me to bring in the meat chart and hell find it for me.....i like him...

neways so i got these.. def the biggest yet....
neways. .it was untrimmed so i had to do some cutting cuz there was like a membrane on the meat side .. and it just didnt look right.. and the meat is so marbled with fat neways....i saved some fat trimmings to place over it....so basically..i but a lil of W sauce just to make it wet and put on #2 rub...oh ya baby.......and put it in saran rap and luminum and in the frige it went

i filled wsm with load of lump...i think its Qik..its crap i think but it worked last time...i saw a huge piece with bark on it...neways

put in tom 830 am with guru on ramp at 220...temp will prob spike during day ..but what can i do...ill prob only put like 10 lit lump in and then let the guru do its job...i will be gettin home around 430ish..so like 8 hours or so.....since the meat is so thick i think it will be ok.......there will be no turning or basting...just meat side up on the top rack...will see what happens....cant be to bad right....

well.. i figure id give you late nighters something to read.. oh ya and here are some prilim pics.....

gnight Minion doug keith rob........any comments ill read them early tom morning....otherwise...its gonna be like i said...i know about some folks said dont let it sit overnight in W sauce..but i put so little on..just so the rub would stick..also.. i put about a cup of rub on...ok gnight.....

starter pics...

Mords,

One of these days I'm heading out to Queens. I'm going to find a butcher that will cut me these ribs.

The fashuginah guys in Port Washington are doing all they can to talk me out of it.

You're gonna have good eats tomorrow.

You thinking of trying to do something to be served Saturday night or is that out of bounds?

Thanks for keeping me smiling.

Peace and good night.

So Mords,

Could I get directions to your house........say starting from Florida? What times's din-din?

Mords,

Why do you think you'll get a temp spike during the day while using the GURU.

Also, I've found that the meat gets very wet if you let it sit with these Texas BBQ rubs. How did your ribs look after the all night rub 'n wrap??

I usually put on the rub and throw the meat right on the cooker. Easy as pie.

Al

they are usually called flanken style ribs uncut....to make the FSribs they cut them width wise...so there are like 5 ribs about 1/2 inch thick with a lil meat around it.. here ...they dont cut bone or trim meat...hence....
they also weighed about 6 pounds..

i have done cooks that ended on fri night and thats ok....just taking the meat off the wsm is fine.....i guess i could also do a early fri aftenoon cook and pull it for sat lunch time...a thought there...

i didnt coin the phrase bronto ribs.. i just use it...someone else here gets credit for that.....

also regarding the spike.. i find that when it gets hot and sunny outside i get a spike for an hour or so....thats just how its happeneds....weather channel is saying sunny and 80----will see what happens today..ill let ya know..ill have a nu temp in so my wife can call me every hour to tell me the temp ...hehehe.....

im going to take it out in about 30 min.. if its a lil wet.. i might put another dusting on of #2 rub.. but i konw what ya mean...i think that happens to my meat only after 3 min of sittin with the stuff on....

and last.. my zip is 11367.....mapquest it..give me a day and 8 hours advance and ill get ya any cuz..(almost) and have it ready by the time you get here.....take care

i almost forgot to say.....im using about 3 nice chunks of mesquite.......i cant find hickory anywhere here..no HD....and we dont have any BBQ stores here in queens....go figure.....maybe ill have to look in Long island for stores....go figure....and i have a feeling im going to like that tree...neways until then.. i have mesquite...ttyl

do you know that..Barbqueing in NY is illegal!!!???
yup its true!!!!

hi mords,

I can get you hickory pretty easily. I could meet you on my way into the city on the LIRR some morning if you like?

I could just get off at Douglaston, Flushing, Hunterspoint or Greatneck.

Mords, the HD in Brooklyn (Hamilton Avenue) has hickory (and that's about all they have, wood-wise). I'll bet the one in Long Island City has it too.

Thanks Art.....i called all flushing HDs not hickory....thanks rob for the offer.. where do you get you hickory from......im not that desperate yet to get you to shlep some wood around all day for me.. and im the flushing stop....

neways.. this is how it went.. put on at 830 three small chunks of mesquite....put on ramp at 225....and that was it.. i called my wife around 3 and she said the internal temp was 185 and the wsm was at 217.. ok ramp doing its job...wasnt until i got home i realized that she was looking at the knob which I had set to 185...uch.. neways... check out the pics....where did all my meat go....i guess taking them off at 530 and puttin in cooler .. nine hours a bit too much...oh well..

neways.. my wife with every bite was screaming how good these ribs are.. she loves my rub.. she asked if i made it myself... i coudlnt lie...neways she says it was my best cook yet...she wants them again....and now....SHE SAYS SHE SICK NOW..ate to much?!....You can never win!!!!!
guys your rock....

peace and have a great new year........and weekend too...

NYC its illegal to BBQ

ok check out more pics...the one with the up the nose shot.. is my youngest.. second girl...my oldest and my oldest after a long day of work.....

update pics

They're cuties, Mords!

The bronto ribs look great. One day mebbe you can try Raichlen's recipe with the hoisin sauce. Delish!

Hi Mords,

I pick it up at the hardware stores around here. Pretty much anyone who's carrying grills carries mesquite and hickory chunks.

Let me know if you need it. It wouldn't be that big a deal for me to drop it off for you some morning.

Thanks susan and robO....

neways you wont believe what im doing tonihgt....we have this custom that we well.. ill spare the customs...but basically....we atone our sins for the new year by waving chickens over our heads and then giving them to poop ppl to have as meals...thats nice.. so im going to Brooklyn tonight to go to this place.. atone sins...then the chickens have to soak in salt water for aabout an hour... and then they are kosher...yes they are slaughtered via the ritual way...slice the neck...and then you konw what im going to do....im bringing th ebottom portion of the wsm and im going to Q them about an hour after its killed....how cool is that.....beat that Perdue!!!!! hehehe....

hey maybe ill sell some...and some pl are going to think im sick...but hey....ill let ya konw how it ends up with prob a diff thread...ill take some pics though......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back