No Charcoal, oh oh

Allan

TVWBB Fan
OK, it's been a while since I Q'd. Had a not so pleasant experience last time out and that got me a little gun shy. But now I'm starting to go through a little withdrawl, but I have a little problem. I got no charcoal. So, I went to my local RONA because I know they have Maple Leaf Lump. Get there, no Maple Leaf Lump. No briquettes. The only thing I can find, in a nice 20# quantity is Kingsford BBQ Bag, you know the one, single use, burn the bag etc. So, my question, as silly as it may seem, is this. Can I just open the bag and use whatever quantity I want?

Knew I should have picked up some of that Maple Leaf lump when it was out.

Umm....I don't think 20#'s is a single use bag, unless you meant 2#'s? either way if its just regular ole' kingsford briquettes (single use bag or not) just tear it open and use what you need...

ron

I was a little surprised when it said Single Use. The bag was huge. I was thinking to myself, that must be for something like a lang or something like that. Actually, even on the kingsford site they don't advertise 20# bags.

Too bad you couldn't get any ML lump from Rona. My Rona has stopped carrying it.

Try Canadian Tire. The one near my home carries Royal Oak lump + briqs year round.

I have seen that big bag that you're talking about. It has a brown wrapper that says to light the paper to get the bag started. I saw them at WalMart once. I didn't check to see what type of charcoal matchlite vs. regular. I do remember thinking that you would have to be grilling over a pit or a large smoker to use that much charcaol in one use.

My magnum will hold 20# of charcoal. Unless that bag is round I don't think it will set in the charcoal ring in the bag though.

I have seen those small light the bag from Kingsford. I think they are 2 or 3 pounds.

BTW the small bags are not match light. I believe that is the reasoning for the light the bag. Same principal as the chimney starter.

So just go somewhere else and buy some regular Kingsford. K Mart, Walmart, the grocery store...it's all over town. Buy what you need and go on to the real part. Cook some Q.

Not quite so easy. Up here, most places don't stock charcoal for the winter. My Walmart, Home Depot, KMart, grocery stores, etc. are all out. This is my first season smoking so it never occurred to me to stock up before the cold weather came. Any place local that has it won't be re-ordering until spring.

Exactly what Joec said. Once Labour day comes up here in the North they think that BBQ season is over and that we all hibernate into our igloos, so they pull out the snow shovels. Some places do carry the 2# bags, but I didn't really feel like buying 5 or so of those at twice the price of what a 20# bag costs.

I don't know if you have a Sam's, but they always have charcoal. Also, if you ask, sometimes, there's still some "in the back". It's not winter yet so there might be some still out there even if it's not on display. Good luck.

Jerry, you are right. I talked to the manager of my local Sam's last year and he says they keep charcoal all year long. They just don't display it up front

Didn't realize it was a problem. I'm basically a Texas-California boy with time in lots of other places. Spent last winter in Penn Yan, NY at the north end of Keuka Lake in the "Lake effect snow belt" of western NY. We had charcoal available there, so I kinda figured it was anywhere.

Back