Nice CSR Smoke

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
This cook resulted in some really great country style ribs and a few other gems also which I added as the CSRs shrunk. This is right after coating with yellow mustard and liberally sprinkling on all sides with my Cajun spice.
CSR Rubbed.jpg

After about 30 minutes in the 14.5, the pieces still filled the grate.
CSR in Smoker.jpg

But two hours later, they had shrunk and I added 4 Johnsonville Jalapeno Cheddar Smoked Sausage in the available space. These are pretty good sausage when just grilled, though they really taste much like a good hotdog. But instead, put them in the smoker for an hour, and they became transformed. I couldn't resist one as an afternoon snack. Johnsonville's definition of "smoked" doesn't live up to mine. The pic here shows after I had removed the sausage and replaced them with stuffed jalapenos -- so about 3 hours into the cook. The jalapenos were also left for an hour and in the meantime I poked the CSRs with my instant read -- they weren't ready by temp or feel.
CSR w-jalapenos.jpg

After the jalapenos were ready, the ribs were up to 167*, so I wrapped them in a double layer of extra strength aluminum foil, added the last of my beer, and put the pack back on alongside a leftover cooked burger and a piece of cod filet. Not wanting to overdo, these extras were also left on for only an hour. The burger (probably because it was already fully cooked) didn't gain any real hint of smoke, but it was already one of my great simple burgers (recipe post coming someday) -- really a pleasure to enjoy. The cod I'll have later today and will post to this thread. CSR Extras.jpg

Sometime after 6 hours, the CSRs reached 203* and probed like soft butter. I took the foiled pack off the smoker, wrapped it in a towel, packed it in a small cooler and left it closed to rest for an hour.CSR in Cooler.jpg

When ready for dinner, the CSRs got unwrapped, moved to a platter, and a good bbq sauce brushed on. I'm debating on whether I should have sauced before wrapping, but the flavor was just fine.CSR Unwrapped.jpgCSR Sauced.jpg

I've cooked country style ribs a number of times, but none were particularly notable (or particularly good). These were fabulous to me! Fall off the bone, fork tender and succulent. I put the cooled jalapenos on the grill at 350* to heat up well and also grilled some frozen fries (grill basket, spray with EVOO). Plated, it all looked great -- eating was MUCH better. The pork barely almost melted, the jalapenos smoky with a nice bite. A very good ending to a nice long smoke.CSR Plated.jpg

BTW, if I have those Johnsonville Jalapeno Cheddar sausage available, I will always smoke what I have if the smoker is active and put them in the freezer. I plan to smoke/grill wings for National Chicken Wing Day this Friday, July 29, and will buy a pack solely to smoke and then freeze them. They never last very long -- they're just too good!

Those look tasty. Did the CSRs come cut up already? or did you cut them from a hunk of pork?

That looks beautiful, Rich. I enjoy CSRs but haven't made any this year. I'm bookmarking this to hopefully replicate your cook soon. And, yeah; as JimK said even your fries take the prize.

Those look tasty. Did the CSRs come cut up already? or did you cut them from a hunk of pork?
The CSRs were cut and sold at Food Lion as country style ribs -- 1" thick by 3-4" wide at $.69/lb. Very nice for smoking.

Last evening, the cod was also just fine though also not "smoked". I just took a shot using the last filet left. From what I've seen in passing, fish need long, low temp smoking, but I'll have to do some research before trying again. I have some salmon fillets too. 😋

As for the fries, I do them regularly with many meals. OreIda Extra Crispy -- 3 lb bag at Walmart or (better) 6 lb at Costco. I heat my small 6" grill basket during grill warm up, throw in some fries, spray with EVOO and toss with tongs. Heat at 350-400* between two burners tossing occasionally. If ready too early, place on upper level grate out of the heat. If I want to make my own, it's Texas fries with EVOO and S&P or, more often, split a potato with the same prep and bake on the top grate until they can be squished slightly and easily. Start skin side down, turn after 5 minutes, then again . If I want good crisp skin (often), finish with 5 minutes on the lower grate. Other than using the latter as a base for twice baked potatoes, these are pretty much the only way I have potatoes (unless my wife wants to make her mother's country "mashed" potatoes -- chunky, not mashed).

What did you stuff those Jalapenos with and how long were they on the grill and at what temp?
I want to make a batch of them - I probably will just use the gas grill. Thanks

My standard prep for the stuffed jalapenos is on my Genesis. I recommend a top rack (the bun warmer works fine). Cook at @400* until the peppers are soft or longer. If the filling gets a bit crisp, so much the better. 🙂 You'll find these are ideal for playing around with and going by eye. My cook time is 15-20 min.

I've tried many different "recipes", but my usual and favorite is to cut strips (1/2"+) of Virginia baked ham, lay the strips in the half jalapeno shell, fill with a good mix of 2/3 shredded sharp cheddar and 1/3 cream cheese with a good shake of Cajun spice to taste (about 1/2 - 1 tsp for 4 halved peppers). I actually have found that I prefer the ham to bacon wrapped.

I've done these so often I don't measure and can mix pretty exactly what I need for the number of jalapenos by "touch/sight". Leftover cheese mix (seldom) can be refrigerated for next time or used as a spread. Too little filling for the jalapenos? Just top with more shredded cheddar.

For the Cajun spice, I use my custom blend which is low in salt (not 50% like most), so some caution there. Some options include mixing in a little of other cheeses you like, sprinkling on a coating of Panko or what tempts you. When my sister comes for the weekend she always reminds me to make some.

I also listed this under Recipes/Odds and Ends/Canned Jalapenos.

😃 I'm always looking for ideas to try, so please let us know if you find something special. Something I want to try is a small wedge of Roma on top. Nothing beats the combo of tomato and cheese. (Just look at the he sliced Roma's topping some original Italian pizzas.). May not be traditional, but are we after tradition or great flavor? And my! That leads to wondering how those typical restaurants/fast food breaded and fried poppers would be with that wedge of Roma included. 😋

One last thought (no, I guess I don't have LAST thoughts), I recently stumbled on the poppers from Sonic. If you like fried jalapeno poppers, definitely try these -- not standard.

Back