Newbie Question: Does this grill need to be replaced?

Larry, your instrument analogy is something that strikes close to home for me! I used to sell instruments, people bought things from our shop because we did GOOD set up work on everything that went out the door. Most people bought (were sold) what they found out to be a better use of money. I had one guy literally ask what the “Best guitar for his daughter to learn on?” I told him that the Martin D-18 we had in stock would be a forever guitar. Then we talked more with the girl and we stepped back to a very nice “student” Alvarez in the same kind of design. Her dad and I chatted quite a bit about the tactics of dropping from a $1500 instrument to a well set up $250 guitar. He will spend a lot more than the 1500 by the time he’s done buying her guitars was what I told him, he laughed and said “Yep, probably but, I want her to make the jump if she likes it.” Two years later I sold the guy a D-28! (~$2500 IIRC) she learned a lot and he said she’d earned it!

Still thinking about getting that guitar of yours a neck reset?
Definitely but I can't yet justify the $$$ I need to come up with. Between house repairs, car maintenance and outrageous medical and dental bills for my wife every time the $$$ starts to get into the fingers they grow wings and fly elsewhere. So that poor Martin sits. I have actually been toying the idea of selling it for something a bit less expensive but still really good. Like a Seagull or a Larivee (both same parent company but slightly different price points). I think that generation of D12-28 I have is like a Ferrari. So outstanding when it's right but difficult and expensive to keep it that way

Larry,
If you want a new 12 string, (or 6) I’d seriously look at Guild, I really like the line a lot, now made in California, mine was made in Westerly NJ back in 1976.guitars,from them had a little peculiarity which was not a hard repair to do (when you knew what to look for), but, almost every one of them had the same thing happen. PM me if you want more information.
Sorry for the hijack folks!

I found a set of heavy Weber stainless grates for my Spirit last year, they also had some flavoriser bars but were too long, thought about buying as they were less than $30 but I know the cut end would rust quickly, forked over the $46 and tax local so I could run it that day. I was wondering about the stainless bars durability compared to enameled.

Back