Newbie - problem with temp control

Christine S.

Hey everyone!

I am a newbie to the site and just got my WSM. This is my first post. I was really excited about cooking on the WSM until I cooked this weekend. Now I am a little frustrated. Tons of questions, but I'll try and keep it simple by starting with just one.

I had some difficulty controlling my temps within the 230- 250 degree range (stayed at 275 for about 5 hours). I closed all the bottom vents except one which I only kept open a small amount. I was using wood given to me by someone who does hardwood flooring. It's only an inch deep, and I was wondering if using what I approximated to be about 6 fist sizes of this wood caused such high temps? Anyone with experience using this type of wood? Also, I barely tasted the flavor (used maple and red oak for a 5.75 lb pork butt). It looks like really good wood. I don't see why there should be any issues.

Thanks,
Christine.

Hi Christine, welcome to the forum. Don't get frustrated, it takes a few cooks to get used to the WSM. First off, I think that brand new WSM's tend to run hotter. I remember a Good Eats episode where AB suggested keeping the oven clean, because the more gunk on the sides and other surfaces, the more heat is lost due to the gunk being heated up. Therefore, in reverse, the more gunk on the sidewalls of your WSM, the less heat reflected off and it turns out to be a good thing of sorts.

Second, what fuel were you using? You said you got some wood from a hardwood floorer, but that was in addition to Lump? Briquettes? How did you light the cook? It's weird that you did not taste any smoke after using six maple and red oak pieces fist sized.

Finally, it is odd that you couldn't get the temp down after five hours even with all vents closed except one that was barely open. I wold have to venture a guess that there might be a leak somewhere.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your insights. Just to clarify in case it's unclear, I had small pieces of hardwood flooring (about 4 to 5 inches long) and I stacked them on top of each other until it looked like I had about a fist size of wood. Then I did that 4 more times. I'm guessing there probably were about 15 small pieces?

I used Kingsford briquettes, and basically filled the thing to the top with them with the wood pieces jammed in there throughout the coals. I tried to use the minion method, but I didn't have a coffee can, so I used an apple juice can instead (smaller diameter) and stuck my electrical starter in it to get things going. It actually took a lot longer than I expected for the temp to get to where I needed it to be (about an hour give or take from when I started the entire process). Is that normal? I'll have to either try the coals on top method or get a larger can, I think.

I also did notice smoke coming out from between the lid and the rest of the smoker at times, as well as at the lower section. I figured that was probably normal, but maybe I am mistaken.

Thanks,
Christine

generally you should never use wood from construction since a lot of that stuff gets treated with various chemicals that can actually add in toxins to your meat.

you should only smoke with wood that is for sure untreated and comes in chunks and isnt green.

chunks of wood are better in that they wont burn but will produce plenty of smoke if laid on top of the coals and turned every now and then. 2-3 times during a brisket smoke seems to be good for me.

one other thing when i light mine off i use my regular weber round grill and a chimney starter. i put in about 20 bricks of charcoal (i use kingsford) and light em off. i then fill the ring of the wsm to the top with charcoal. when the coals in the chimney started are going i just dump em on top of the unlit ones and then using long tongs spread em out add 3-4 chunkc of smoke wood depending on size of the chunks and assemble the smoker add the meat and start monitoring the temp with all vents open. when it gets close to 200 at the top vent i shut the vents on the bottom to 3/4 closed and continue to monitor till the top hits 225 then shut all the bottom vents to only like a scootch of gap in all three and it stabilizes around 225.

i have found just spreading em out on top works wonderful and maintains rock steady temps with a slow startup to make catching that golden 225-ish at the roof a easy thing.

once im happy with it i check it during the first hour to make sure its holding then i can leave it be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I tried to use the minion method, but I didn't have a coffee can, so I used an apple juice can instead (smaller diameter) and stuck my electrical starter in it to get things going. It actually took a lot longer than I expected for the temp to get to where I needed it to be (about an hour give or take from when I started the entire process). Is that normal? I'll have to either try the coals on top method or get a larger can, I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't need a coffee can--or any other--though some prefer that method. You can simply scatter the lit on top, as Jon notes.

At what point after you put the lit on did you put the meat on? I am assuming you added the lit then assembled the cooker, right? Did you add water at that point? Did you add the meat then as well or wait till later?

Welcome to the board.

Welcome Christine,

Your WSM will indeed run hotter for the first few cooks. Two main reasons are heat reflection off clean shiny internal surfaces and the seal of the body sections, access door and vents. As you use your new WSM smoke, airbourne moisture, grease and ash particulate will seal the air gaps (gap gunk). You may want to check out some of this reference material about fit, air gap and so on but from what you described I don't think your WSM has any serious issue.

I can totally relate to your temperature angst. When I started I tried very hard to 'get it right' and have my cooks match described cooks on the forum and see repeatable results. The cliche 'every cook is different' is absolutely true. If you are really concerned about the temps, next time start your minion method with less lit coals than you did for this cook and use the vents to slowly increase your temps.

Always leave your top vent open 100%. About 'Also, I barely tasted the flavor' do you smoke tobacco in any form? There are two points here: scent fatigue and smokers insensitivity. Scent fatigue: the theory is if your nose is stuck in the smoke too much (regardless of tobacco use) you become desensitized to it and you can't taste it as well. Smokers insensitivity: people who smoke tobacco regularly can't smell or taste smoke particulate on food as well as non-smokers do. In either case try re-evaluating smoke flavor 24 hours or so after the cook to see if your perception changes. Ask others who partake for their opinion as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
Welcome Christine,

Your WSM will indeed run hotter for the first few cooks. Two main reasons are heat reflection off clean shiny internal surfaces and the seal of the body sections, access door and vents. As you use your new WSM smoke, airbourne moisture, grease and ash particulate will seal the air gaps (gap gunk). You may want to check out some of this reference material about fit, air gap and so on but from what you described I don't think your WSM has any serious issue.

I can totally relate to your temperature angst. When I started I tried very hard to 'get it right' and have my cooks match described cooks on the forum and see repeatable results. The cliche 'every cook is different' is absolutely true. If you are really concerned about the temps, next time start your minion method with less lit coals than you did for this cook and use the vents to slowly increase your temps.

Always leave your top vent open 100%. About 'Also, I barely tasted the flavor' do you smoke tobacco in any form? There are two points here: scent fatigue and smokers insensitivity. Scent fatigue: the theory is if your nose is stuck in the smoke too much (regardless of tobacco use) you become desensitized to it and you can't taste it as well. Smokers insensitivity: people who smoke tobacco regularly can't smell or taste smoke particulate on food as well as non-smokers do. In either case try re-evaluating smoke flavor 24 hours or so after the cook to see if your perception changes. Ask others who partake for their opinion as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> In general I'd add for most BBQ try to keep your temp above 230ºF and below 300ºF. 60 minutes a bit higher or lower isn't a big deal.

I agree w/ everyone else..The 1st 2 or 3 cooks the WSM will run hotter until you get a good grease buildup..I always try to watch my temps on the way up so they won't get out of control. I've found that with lump coals I have to close my bottom vents a little more than when i'm using briquettes. I cook with a Tru temp thermometer that I insert through my upper lid holes and cook around 250 lid temp...that way I'm at about 240-238 top rack and 225-230's on the lower rack..Hope this helps...

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Merka:
generally you should never use wood from construction since a lot of that stuff gets treated with various chemicals that can actually add in toxins to your meat.

you should only smoke with wood that is for sure untreated and comes in chunks and isnt green.

chunks of wood are better in that they wont burn but will produce plenty of smoke if laid on top of the coals and turned every now and then. 2-3 times during a brisket smoke seems to be good for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jon,

The wood I am using is uncoated with anything, but you make a good point. I have no idea whether there were chemicals used in processing it. I should ask around for more info.

I am also wondering if the fact they are drier than unprocessed wood could have impacted how smoky the pork tasted. Lots of fast burning wood might not stay around to flavor the meat for very long?

Another question : How long after being cut off a tree does wood need to sit before being used? My roommate just cut down some oak trees on his property and I was hoping to use some this weekend for my next cook.

Thanks,
Christine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Merka:
one other thing when i light mine off i use my regular weber round grill and a chimney starter. i put in about 20 bricks of charcoal (i use kingsford) and light em off. i then fill the ring of the wsm to the top with charcoal. when the coals in the chimney started are going i just dump em on top of the unlit ones and then using long tongs spread em out add 3-4 chunkc of smoke wood depending on size of the chunks and assemble the smoker add the meat and start monitoring the temp with all vents open. when it gets close to 200 at the top vent i shut the vents on the bottom to 3/4 closed and continue to monitor till the top hits 225 then shut all the bottom vents to only like a scootch of gap in all three and it stabilizes around 225.

i have found just spreading em out on top works wonderful and maintains rock steady temps with a slow startup to make catching that golden 225-ish at the roof a easy thing.

once im happy with it i check it during the first hour to make sure its holding then i can leave it be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tips, I will give this technique a try this weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I tried to use the minion method, but I didn't have a coffee can, so I used an apple juice can instead (smaller diameter) and stuck my electrical starter in it to get things going. It actually took a lot longer than I expected for the temp to get to where I needed it to be (about an hour give or take from when I started the entire process). Is that normal? I'll have to either try the coals on top method or get a larger can, I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't need a coffee can--or any other--though some prefer that method. You can simply scatter the lit on top, as Jon notes.

At what point after you put the lit on did you put the meat on? I am assuming you added the lit then assembled the cooker, right? Did you add water at that point? Did you add the meat then as well or wait till later?

Welcome to the board. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kevin!

Here is how I did it. I put my apple juice can in the center of the grate. Stuck my electrical starter in it and stuffed coals all around it. Then I layered one layer of coals around the can. I put pieces of wood on top of the first layer of coals. Covered those with more coals and then put more pieces of wood on top. I plugged the electrical starter in and waited to see smoke or flames. Once I knew it was going I yanked out the electrical starter and then waited to see some ash. After about 50% of the coals had ash on them, I pulled out the can with some tongs. then I waited for 20 or 30 more min for the fire to take off a bit more. I already had hot water in the pan (larger brinkmann pan) and assembled the cooker. I waited for the temp to get up to atleast 225 before I put the meat in.

Thanks,
Christine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Christine S.:
Another question : How long after being cut off a tree does wood need to sit before being used? My roommate just cut down some oak trees on his property and I was hoping to use some this weekend for my next cook.

Thanks,
Christine </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depending on the size of the limbs & splits anywhere from 6 months to a year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
Welcome Christine,

Always leave your top vent open 100%. About 'Also, I barely tasted the flavor' do you smoke tobacco in any form? There are two points here: scent fatigue and smokers insensitivity. Scent fatigue: the theory is if your nose is stuck in the smoke too much (regardless of tobacco use) you become desensitized to it and you can't taste it as well. Smokers insensitivity: people who smoke tobacco regularly can't smell or taste smoke particulate on food as well as non-smokers do. In either case try re-evaluating smoke flavor 24 hours or so after the cook to see if your perception changes. Ask others who partake for their opinion as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Shawn!

Thanks for the link. It was very helpful. I think in the short term I am going to try the foil method to make sure there is absolutely no leakage while I get to the bottom of why I had some temperature issues.

As to the smoking thing, no I am not a tobacco smoker. But I was doing a bit of nervous rookie hovering over my smoker and got a bit gagged over all the smoke I inhaled. I did eat a bit of the pork the next day and it did taste a little smokier than I had remembered, but it was still pretty mild. I think I will try and get some regular chunks to smoke with next time. It's a little challenging, though, to find chunks in this town (other than hickory and mesquite). Fortunately, as I mentioned in an earlier post, my roommate is cutting down a couple of oak trees, so I'll get some trimmings from that.

Thanks,
Christine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Willcockson:
Go Ducks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright! Another Duck fan. WOO HOO! Go Ducks!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimH:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Christine S.:

Thanks,

Depending on the size of the limbs & splits anywhere from 6 months to a year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang! Looks like I'll be buying some wood online.
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After about 50% of the coals had ash on them, I pulled out the can with some tongs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">then I waited for 20 or 30 more min for the fire to take off a bit more. I already had hot water in the pan (larger brinkmann pan) and assembled the cooker. I waited for the temp to get up to atleast 225 before I put the meat in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Herein lies a problem: It is important to assemble the cooker immediately. Right after pulling the can (or simply duming the coals on top should you go that route) assemble the cooker, add water (if using), and put the meat right in.

Both the water and meat act as heat sinks and will moderate the climb in temos nicely. Then, when your therm shows 25-35 degrees short or your target, you can begin closing vents somewhat; most go half-closed or so if using briquettes, more if using lump, but this can vary. You'll get used to what works best as you cook more. The temp climb should now slow further and will stop and settle. Cheating the vents (or just one or two vents) slightly more open or more closed will shift the temp a bit either way, but two things: Allow 15-20 min for a change in vents to have an effect. And there is no need to chase temps. If you are within 10 degrees either way of your target don't worry about it.

Waiting for more fuel to light and/or waiting to assemble and/or waiting to add the meat can allow enough time to pass where the unlit is getting more substantially lit, and this can cause (usually does) temps to climb higher than they would otherwise.

also did notice smoke coming out from between the lid and the rest of the smoker at times, as well as at the lower section. I figured that was probably normal, but maybe I am mistaken.

Thanks,

This is normal as the WSM is not air tight between the lid and the middle section and between the middle and the charcoal bowl. You probably will/did see smoke exiting around the access door. This is normal as well.

Back