Newbie, Advice on Britu Rib/Basic Chicken Cook

G

hi all, i was very fortunate to receive a WSM for father's day! i did a lot of research and requested it b/c of what a great resource this website is, and the fact that the WSM is a great product. i did my first cook last week, made the basic bbq chicken recipe, and it was by far the best bbq chicken i have ever had. couldn't believe how juicy it was. so i plan to make the chicken again for my son's 1st birthday party on sunday. will have about 10 people over. i also want to make the BRITU ribs. so my plan is to make the ribs first, then foil and cooler them while i grill the chicken after. my main question is when should i sauce the ribs? before i foil them and put them in the cooler, or after i take them out of the foil and cooler to serve? also, should i add more pre-lit coals to the WSM before i put the chicken on? any helpful hints would be much appreciated. thanks, nick

I like to sauce a couple of times the last 30-45 minutes of cooking....If you're cooking below 275 you shouldn't have to worry about your sauce burning...Just experiment and see what works best for you..But personally I'd try to keep the saucing towards the end of your cook session...After you take them out of the foil from your rest session in the cooler you can brush them again with sauce or just have a little squeeze bottle to squirt a little sauce on them...Hope this helps!!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Ron

Hi Nick, welcome aboard!

I'm not a BRITU fan, I suggest you review
Competition Ribs.

You may wish to try them both. The best way for you to learn is experiment and decide what you like. IMO there are three ways to mess up a rib cook: boil first (don't do this); too long at too low temp; and too high of temp.

If you want very soft ribs go for lower and slower with a foil and liquid stage (not too low and slow or they will dry out).

As a starting point I'd suggest a minimum around 235ºF grate temp. If you like more tooth (firmer bite) go for more like 250ºF grate temp and skip the foil or dont add liquid to the foil pouches.

If you choose to foil your ribs only do so the last 1/4 - 1/2 of the cook. The more time in foil increases the chance of mushy, fall off the bone (which is fine if that's what you like) ribs.

Your choice, but I don't sauce at all. I serve it on the side and usually a couple of different kinds.

Once in a while I'll use a gentle glaze, but I prefer to let others to sauce at their own discretion.

JMO, but I think saucing while cooking tends to overpower the ribs.

About saucing I for one prefer saucing then grilling ribs compared to serving ribs with sauce on the side.

Your point about saucing then resting in foil is interesting, it sounds like a good idea to me. Caveat here for me would be that the ribs are grilled after being removed from foil/sauce pouches. One thing you may wish to look out for: technically, if the sauce is highly acidic you may end up tenderizing the ribs more than you intend while they sit in foil.

thanks for the responses. i looked at the competition ribs, they look great. may try that next time. going to try the BRITU first, and see how it goes. i think i like my ribs on the softer side, so i will cook them on the lower/longer side. i am curious to see how the chicken cook will go after the ribs, and if i am going to have to add charcoal, wood chunks. i plan on using red oak and hickory for the whole thing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
Hi Nick, welcome aboard!

I'm not a BRITU fan, I suggest you review
Competition Ribs.

You may wish to try them both. The best way for you to learn is experiment and decide what you like. IMO there are three ways to mess up a rib cook: boil first (don't do this); too long at too low temp; and too high of temp.

If you want very soft ribs go for lower and slower with a foil and liquid stage (not too low and slow or they will dry out).

As a starting point I'd suggest a minimum around 235ºF grate temp. If you like more tooth (firmer bite) go for more like 250ºF grate temp and skip the foil or dont add liquid to the foil pouches.

If you choose to foil your ribs only do so the last 1/4 - 1/2 of the cook. The more time in foil increases the chance of mushy, fall off the bone (which is fine if that's what you like) ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey Nick, I should have added to this post I think the upper end is around 300ºF. Others on the forums have reported FINISHING at higher temps but at least starting lower for the first 1 - 2 hours is pretty much agreed upon.

Back