new wsm slot or eyelets for maverick probe.

Bosco

before I do either method I just want to know what you recommend.

I have read both ways and just curious what others have to say.

I am leaning towards using the eyelet method but would appreciate some suggestions

I did grommets on my WSM, I had not learned about the slot method. If I had to do it over....SLOT! If I had the tool(s) I would go home and slot my performer.

I read another thread showing the slot method. I just don't know how wide or how far down to go.

The tread I just recently read had pictures of how far down to go. I would/will go a 1/4 past where the lid sits.

I just got my smoker on Friday and immediately slotted it. More so because that was easier for me than getting and installing the grommet. Took about 10 minutes total and works very well for me. Getting the probe wires in and out is a piece of cake.

i have the same question myself and I am leaning towards the slot method, but i plan on getting the digiq and i wonder how that might impact the temp control from the ATC? anyone have the digiq and the slot care to weigh in?

I have an ATC, that I've used once and I feel that either the slot or grommets would give you the same results. In the grand scheme of things the opening is not so large that it would impact the temp of the smoker.

I also did the grommet and quickly found out that its not optimal because it traps the wire......the slot is a much better fix.
i have a sawzall , but I'm not sure if the hacksaw blade would cut a wide enough slot.....I'm torn. Wish I had an angle grinder....maybe I'll see if I can borrow one.

As far as the width, just use the width of the cutting wheel. That is plenty wide enough. I went down to where the lip curves back in and stopped there. It was fine, just a little tight when I had two wires going through. I just used a round file to shave down a little further into the notch and it was perfect. Also it cleaned up the edges of the cut.

I started out using the lamp tube pass through and recently switched to the slot. Hands down the slot is easer to use and I am glad I switched. It is much easier to remove if you need access to meat on the lower grill too. I used a 3/16" round file to add the notch and went down about 1/4" below the lid ledge.

Last edited:
This is what I was thinking. And from the comments, if i plan on using the ATC the slot shouldnt be a problem either. Im going for it!
It won't be and you don't have to worry about a fit issue with the slot.

I am about to buy a 22.5 and can't decide if i want to do a slot or wait until Oct and buy the new one with silicon grommets.

I am about to buy a 22.5 and can't decide if i want to do a slot or wait until Oct and buy the new one with silicon grommets.

Even with the newly designed stock grommet, you're still passing wires through a hole which is where the difficulty lies when arranging, rearranging and moving things.
I still use the grommet as I have not cut a slot myself yet...but I'm happy I used the grate strap hole which will be easy and unnoticeable when I plug it and slot mine. ;)

Back