New wireless router - no hm devices

Dave Smith

TVWBB Super Fan
got a new wireless router and when I go to heatmeter.com/ devices I get this message:
For security, as of Chrome 94 an Internet site can no longer open a network connection to devices on your local network unless both are running HTTPS. Therefore, this page can not test for the availability of HeaterMeter on your network.
Any ideas how to fix this......get it on chrome, bing and firefox .

@Dave Smith

What is the exact error you get in firefox?

I've found firefox is fairly easy to adjust to allow older protocols. I haven't seen routers enforcing HTTP only which is why I'm wondering if it is the browser.

If you post the exact error message, and firefox version there might be an easy work around.

@Dave Smith

What is the exact error you get in firefox?

I've found firefox is fairly easy to adjust to allow older protocols. I haven't seen routers enforcing HTTP only which is why I'm wondering if it is the browser.

If you post the exact error message, and firefox version there might be an easy work around.
firefox ver 117.0.1 64 bit

No HeaterMeter found at your site​

in chrome and edge the message is - For security, as of Chrome 94 an Internet site can no longer open a network connection to devices on your local network unless both are running HTTPS. Therefore, this page can not test for the availability of HeaterMeter on your network.

do you know the numeric IP of the HM on your network? Can you connect to the routers administrative screens and look for it?

If so, ( presuming windows ) can you open a CMD window and ping that IP address?

this may be the problem.......since changing my wireless router, the hm won't connect to my internet, even using an ethernet cable to router, not connecting. no big deal as the hm still works, just can't bring up webpage to watch it in the house.

I've been out of this stuff for a while so we're working with some pretty stagnant brain cells here, but... I assume the HM should automatically get a new IP address from the new router. If it won't then I wonder if the IP address in the HM is set to static (a hard address) and not DHCP.

I've been out of this stuff for a while so we're working with some pretty stagnant brain cells here, but... I assume the HM should automatically get a new IP address from the new router. If it won't then I wonder if the IP address in the HM is set to static (a hard address) and not DHCP.
hmmm possible, can't read the card on it as my laptops have no card readers, got a usb one coming........may have to update frimware as its been a feww years too.

firefox ver 117.0.1 64 bit

No HeaterMeter found at your site​

in chrome and edge the message is - For security, as of Chrome 94 an Internet site can no longer open a network connection to devices on your local network unless both are running HTTPS. Therefore, this page can not test for the availability of HeaterMeter on your network.
I found this. Hope it helps.
After some research, it's apparently enough to set the "Block insecure private network requests." flag to "Disabled" in chrome://flags. This works on OSX, Android, iOS and Linux devices too, as opposed to the Windows Registry workaround.

Sounds like the same issue I had with an ASUS router. Security is an issue for both EDGE and all new routers. Here what i did with my ASUS device.
Make sure in Administration You have the " Local Access Config" setting setup.
Authentication Method set to both.
you must make sure the HTTP/HTTPS lan port have a port selected.
make sure you have an Installed Server Certificate. Got one from ASUS.

Under the "Service" section make sure your ssh port is set. Change from port 22 for security.
hope this helps.

I hooked it up with ehternet cable direct to router (smartRG), got address but says no DNS.........I'm not that comfortable playing with the router workings so I'm gonna leave well enough alone. Thanks for all the help everyone.

I hooked it up with ehternet cable direct to router (smartRG), got address but says no DNS.........I'm not that comfortable playing with the router workings so I'm gonna leave well enough alone. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Have you called you service provider for support?

That's both.... good and bad.

1) That's not a link local address, it is a valid RFC-1918 test network address.
2) *USUALLY*...... the ends of a network range are reserved for infrastructure devices. In your case, you've shown a .1 address. I'd have expected that to be the Wifi AP/router itself.

So... I suspect that you you are getting DHCP packets back to the HM. No DNS attributes, which is a little odd. And unless you're running your own local domain with DHCP registration, symbolic name lookups will also fail.

Dave have you fixed your problem? I had something like this mine was caused by my new router being 2.4 and 5g and my PI zero not working on 5. Here is what I did to fix mine :

Great big update this all started after I got a new router, and despite the specs on the PI zero it is not compatible with a 5g router( stumbled on this by accident on the internet) . When I set up the new router the 2.4 and the 5g were given the same name and pass words. What i had to do was give them different names so the HM would connect to the 2.4 g router. The problem i was having with the error message was do to a brain fart on my part. I had forgotten that the HM and the laptop had to be on the same network, so once I moved the laptop to 2.4 from 5, Houston we no longer have a problem here. So I'm happy I figured out by my self. Guess this gray haired guy can do some computer stuff. ( Wish the computers had tubes in them), them I know. No smoke and mirrors, just light and heat. Now if I can figure out how to add a short cut on my cells home page to take me to the HM like my tablet does Cant remember how I did it another gray hair moment. Well It's after 5 so makers mark time.

Back