New use for heatermeter!

Dan Francis

TVWBB Fan
Leaving these single digit temps for Florida tomorrow. Got this great idea, since it's so cold, to monitor my home temp with Heatermeter. I remembered some post by Bryan where he mentioned he had a heatermeter on for months monitoring it's stability, so why not! My house is my Pit. Can't think of a reason not to do it, how about anyone else?

Florida!
oN8Tnvk.png

There's no reason to not leave it on all the time, so you can see if it is warm somewhere you aren't, right?

Florida!
oN8Tnvk.png

There's no reason to not leave it on all the time, so you can see if it is warm somewhere you aren't, right?

Right! Only supposed to be high 60's in Sebring but that will feel wonderful compared to here. I'm just a little worried about my 22 year old and neglected furnace. This will bring much peace of mind.

One time while on a January vacation the pilot light on my furnace blew out... When I got home my house was 42 degrees, IDK how long it was out but a few more days and I am pretty sure my plumbing would have frozen! So for my own peace of mind I always leave my HM running inside my house when I leave town in the winter, cause I could call someone to come and light the furnace easily enough if need be. Of coarse it never happened again but it is nice to be able to bring up my HM graph and KNOW that my furnace is working....

A couple of weeks ago it was supposed to be something like -30 overnight here. I almost threw my HM outside and put it on the post your live cooks thread just because I could. I don't even know if the HM and/or probe resistance on the mavericks will work that low. Aww heck forecast is -18 overnight tonight, maybe I'll try it.

Shockingly, the Maverick probes will go down below -40F but their delta-per-ADC-tick is 20F at that point. HeaterMeter on the other hand is going to think you're broken and stop reading at -4F (-20C).

EDIT: I love my homemade Nest as well, which only cost me $60 and was a year or two before Nests were around. Ever wonder why the source code for the HeaterMeter graph says "tstatSuccess"? Thermostat graphs and controls!

Some day I'll finish that UI!

Last edited:
I was re-reading the open source Nest article and clicked on the Sparc Core web site They say Sparc Core is an Arduino replacement and has a web stack. Moreover, folks have been using it to do analog temperature sensing and replays. With all due deference to Bryan's great work on Raspberry Pi and Arduino, the form factor of the Sparc Core is tiny, its price is $39, and suggests it has the functionality of both.

Is Sparc Core a candidate hardware platform to port the HeaterMeter software for HeaterMeter.future?

-- Mache

That homemade Nest is pretty terrible. It lacks virtually all the parts that make a thermostat besides displaying the temperature.

The Sparc Core isn't a bad device, but it relies on "the cloud" for data storage so you can't directly access it. It also needs continuous access to the internet (which isn't a problem in your back yard but you can't use it off site without tethering). I'm also not sure what frequency of data updates the Sparc Cloud allows, but it probably isn't once per second. There's also not enough I/O pins, HeaterMeter uses 17 pins + 2 serial and this only has 16 pins. The final question is how to get the data back out for display and if it has the availability to do things beyond their stock widgets.

Also it would require a complete rewrite and I see no benefit other than being smaller and a few dollars cheaper. If it can't meet the same level of functionality, then these benefits are inconsequential.

That homemade Nest is pretty terrible. It lacks virtually all the parts that make a thermostat besides displaying the temperature.

The Sparc Core isn't a bad device, but it relies on "the cloud" for data storage so you can't directly access it. It also needs continuous access to the internet (which isn't a problem in your back yard but you can't use it off site without tethering). I'm also not sure what frequency of data updates the Sparc Cloud allows, but it probably isn't once per second. There's also not enough I/O pins, HeaterMeter uses 17 pins + 2 serial and this only has 16 pins. The final question is how to get the data back out for display and if it has the availability to do things beyond their stock widgets.

Also it would require a complete rewrite and I see no benefit other than being smaller and a few dollars cheaper. If it can't meet the same level of functionality, then these benefits are inconsequential.

OK, Just a thought. Sounds like a pretty comprehensive no.

-- Mache

I have a few Spark Cores. An HM-type device would likely be different with a Core. I would forget about the display screen and button input (this functionality would be on your phone), so I think I/O pins would be OK. I'm pretty sure the meat would taste identical, though, so not much point in re-engineering the wheel.

Back