NEW Weber briquettes
Kokoko eggs briquettes from coconut.

I was checking for :
Black smoke quantity in the starting time
Off odors in the heating time
Creosoto

The worst beetwen the 3 is
The OLD Weber briquettes both for black smoke and off odors
The NEW Weber briquettes are much better in black smoke quantity in the starting period and NO off odors when completely white
The Kokoko eggs are the best with no black smoke in the starting period but WITH a slight off acrid odor when completely white.

This is the link to the video

https://www.facebook.com/bbqness/posts/542409422596158

And this is for the odor comparizon

https://www.facebook.com/bbqness/posts/542410329262734

Excellent comparison Enrico. Grazie.
I also found that the new Weber briqs produce a lot less smoke when firing up.

Good work Enrico.
I quite like the new Weber Briqs. Easy to light and just about last long enough for the long overnight cooks.

Just bought 40kg of Aussie Heat Beads though and not used them on the WSM before.
I have used AHBs for grilling in the past. Found them harder to light but good heat for a long time. More mineral char I think.

Be good to see a test of AHBs :)

Gary.

The AHB's are perfect for the WSM. I use them exclusively for low & slow.
They do take a wee bit longer to get up to speed. I have my settings for various temps down pat, so I can literally walk away and let it do its thing, with minimal management.
I have never had to add fuel when doing a cook with the charcoal ring full, & 10-12 lit briqs.

Heat beads for me in the WSMs too these days. My last stocks of the old white bag Weber briquettes have finally been used up.
The new ones fine for grilling - as Tony says they get real hot (and quickly) - but not as easily manageable for low n slow as the heat beads...

Difference in size and shape between Weber briqs (top) and Heat Beads (bottom)

Head Beads are much more dense but weigh a bit less than the larger Weber briqs.
Heat Beads had hardly any smoke when lighting and that was only the firelighters I think.
They don't create as much ash and burn consistently all the way through. Weber briqs seem to get more crumbly due to less density.

Taking up less volume I think you must get a lot more Beads than Weber briqs and therefore more weight in the WSM ring. No surprise if they keep going longer.

IMG_1171_zpsdtpbbrya.jpg

Taking up less volume I think you must get a lot more Beads than Weber briqs and therefore more weight in the WSM ring. No surprise if they keep going longer.
Gary.

In my charcoal ring, 14.5, I can get 100+ AHB when stacked. (See pic below). The charcoal ring was made for me, & is about two inches higher than the supplied ring, & is also a tad bit wider in diameter. I don't use a water pan so there is no interference.

2h6wtba.jpg

The pic shows five rows, (70 briqs). I added another two rows up to the top of the ring making 98 briqs. I put the tin can in and fill up the void with briqs & wood chunks between the can and the stack. Adding another 8-10 lit briqs in the can. I can get +/- 130 briqs in there. This is more than enough for at least a 15 hr cook. I reckon there must be close to 5.5kg of briqs. Whatever doesn't get burned, gets re-used.

Last edited:
Gary.
I did read somewhere that was +/- 230 briqs in a 10kg bag.
Which would equal 23/kg, x 4 = 92/4kg bag.

Edit:
For research purposes, I have just de-canted a 4kg bag of AHB into my plastic storage bin. I got 95 full briqs, 3 broken pieces & some dust.
So that works out at 10.77281 briqs/lb, or, 42.1052631579 grammes/briq. :D
Where I get my supply from, that works out at £1.75/kg or 8.25 Shekels/kg if you're buying them in Tel Aviv. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
nice post, glad to see some brits here!
I use the restaurant lump from coals2u, bloody nice stuff and free delivery if you buy 4 bags

Working my way through 10 bags of AHBs
If I can keep getting them for £1.25 per kg (or close to) then I will definitely use them all the time.
Part used beads are almost as dense at the unburnt ones. they don't crumble like a part used Weber Briq.

304F69DB-D352-493E-AC41-E190897BFFE4_zpsx7mog9ct.jpg

I found a nice detailed comparison on a german site which tests the new Weber briquettes against 4 other brands: http://bigbbq.de/testbericht/grillkohle-briketts-2016-im-test-welche-ist-die-beste/. My German isn't on top these days, so if you prefer to read it in English, I suggest reading it via Google Translate, here: https://translate.google.com/transl...test-welche-ist-die-beste/&edit-text=&act=url.

After reading the article, I would also be interested in testing these Greek Fire briquettes - I hope I can find some in Austria in the next days.

Those Greek Fire briqs look interesting. They appear to give good results.
£23.60 for 10kg shipped from Germany. Not bad. Hmmm.

Been using the AHB's for a few cooks. Last big one on the WSM went for 16 hours+ and there looked to be plenty left.
Since then I have only done grilling on the Kettle using the leftover coals.

I have to say that the AHBs really do hold together well and are dense all the way through.

Some bits get a bit too small and just drop through the chimney or the grate.

Interesting too that smaller chunks of briq mean the chimney end up more densely packed.

I will stick with Aussie Heat Beads for the forseeable future, if I can get 4kg for a fiver. It'll be interesting to see what the new Weber briqs are like. Chris A mentioned them. They sound very similar to AHBs.

Back