New to Webers

Take out all the burners and scrub them down with simple green or similar detergent with a stainless steel pad and put them back in. The flames should look like this.
20210217_171446.jpg

Take out all the burners and scrub them down with simple green or similar detergent with a stainless steel pad and put them back in. The flames should look like this.
View attachment 47685
Yeah, my flames definitely don’t look like this!
It did come with the cut out in the bottom and the hanging tank gauge so I’m pretty sure it’s set up for lp gas.
I got this baby off marketplace so I don’t know the history but I’m pretty sure it got dropped har at one time.
My replacement lid came today from a gal in Hilton Head Island who rehabs webers and that fit just fine but the new lid is the glossy paint and cheaper feeling metal whereas the original is the mat finish heavier feeling metal.
I can’t find a serial number, if it’s supposed to be on the white sticker on the base then it wore off years ago.
Was there a time when the door wasn’t a door but instead was a panel that hooked on pins? My grill came to me without the door but it doesn’t look like it’s set up for one but it has pins that are on the sides of the frame that looks like they could be a way to attach a front panel.

Patrick, post some pictures of the entire grill so we can get a better idea of it's condition and what else might be going on with it. I'm pretty sure that grill had doors at one time but a lot of people have taken those grills and opened up the bottom by removing the side panels, doors, etc.

It did come with the cut out in the bottom and the hanging tank gauge so I’m pretty sure it’s set up for lp gas.
I got this baby off marketplace so I don’t know the history but I’m pretty sure it got dropped har at one time.
My replacement lid came today from a gal in Hilton Head Island who rehabs webers and that fit just fine but the new lid is the glossy paint and cheaper feeling metal whereas the original is the mat finish heavier feeling metal.
I can’t find a serial number, if it’s supposed to be on the white sticker on the base then it wore off years ago.
Was there a time when the door wasn’t a door but instead was a panel that hooked on pins? My grill came to me without the door but it doesn’t look like it’s set up for one but it has pins that are on the sides of the frame that looks like they could be a way to attach a front panel
Patrick - Please post some pictures of your grill.

I am a lot happier today, took the control panel off and saw a lot of gook covering the screens on the burner tubes so I took to degreasing things and adjusted the screens and I think I have it at an acceptable level of burn. Still have some work to do on some issues but for now I think it’s working properly. 7B1258A5-CE5D-4C6E-8C6B-44E09DCADAD7.jpeg855408E3-FAB2-4788-A6A1-C5A1DFE7B0AD.jpeg855408E3-FAB2-4788-A6A1-C5A1DFE7B0AD.jpeg

Attachments

• B4D7CC1E-E49D-48E3-9428-9E0C7816E059.jpeg
    B4D7CC1E-E49D-48E3-9428-9E0C7816E059.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 25
I am a lot happier today, took the control panel off and saw a lot of gook covering the screens on the burner tubes so I took to degreasing things and adjusted the screens and I think I have it at an acceptable level of burn. Still have some work to do on some issues but for now I think it’s working properly. View attachment 47721View attachment 47725View attachment 47725
The burners still need to come out and really washed up wish steel wool and a hose inside and out to get a nice blue flame.

I'm guessing that whoever previously owned that grill never cleaned it and now there is just grease everywhere. Like Bruce and Joe said, you're going to have to do a little more disassembly and cleaning to get to the bottom of your flame problem.

They are really not hard to take out and clean. You can use steel wool on them in the sink even, and rinse the insides out through the holes that are in the ends. They might surprise you how good they will look after a good old scrubbing. Plus, like others have said, this is most likely why you have imperfect flames. It's worth it to start with fresh clean burners!

Lots of things being assumed here. Biggest is we don't even know if OP has a compressor. If not no sense putting water in the burners. So OP if you don't have one, get a good stiff wire brush (unused is best). brush the burners (out of the grill) HARD. You will not hurt them. Check all the holes (ports). Any not cleared yet, a small tool to carefully open them up. Then go to a store that sells this stuff (or anything similar) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LDR9HI/?tag=tvwb-20 (I know the haters here will tell you I am full of excrement for telling you this but don't pay attention to them.) The stuff will totally evaporate after use with no residue. Once you have the burners well brushed and cleaned on exterior use the tube on the can. Spray them out and dump the gunk that washes out. Best do this outside BTW. Let them dry. Reinstall. Use your grill.
If you have a compressor than by all means wash them out with water and whatever type of degreaser you like i.e. Simple Green or such.
I have been cleaning burners with BrakeKleen for MANY years and no issues. Well, other than the large protrusion growing out of the back of my neck :D Honestly don't pay attention to the gloom and doom crowd.

I don't know how Brakleen works, but that is some magical stuff that evaporates in seconds with no residue at all. It works really well to clean brakes. I also use it as starter fluid for my generator.

Yep. I love the stuff. One of the most useful products I have ever found. It will even drop wasps dead in the air :D Around here a VERY useful function

Yah, honey, all that stuff on the front bay window is just brake cleaner from killing wasps. Don't worry, it evaporates quick.
Actually when used near there you don't even see it. We used to use it when we worked on cars a lot. When my buddy and I had our business in the late summer they were intense. But, it shoots further than actual wasp spray, does not leave residue, and kills them REALLY dead REALLY fast unlike the wasp spray which allows them to live long enough to "get" final revenge

Was there a time when the door wasn’t a door but instead was a panel that hooked on pins? My grill came to me without the door but it doesn’t look like it’s set up for one but it has pins that are on the sides of the frame that looks like they could be a way to attach a front panel.
There are Spirit models out there that have a front panel that hooked on pins on the base cabinet without a hinged door. They were a Home Depot specific model. They also came with the Weber Gourmet cooking System grates...but they may have been replaced by previous owners.

Actually when used near there you don't even see it. We used to use it when we worked on cars a lot. When my buddy and I had our business in the late summer they were intense. But, it shoots further than actual wasp spray, does not leave residue, and kills them REALLY dead REALLY fast unlike the wasp spray which allows them to live long enough to "get" final revenge
Larry, I have used brake cleaner before, but I never would have guessed it wouldn't leave some kind of residue. I am gonna have to explore some additional uses for that stuff.

Took the burners out and scrubbed everything in the sink, used scotch bright pad in lieu of steel wool. Lots of dish soap and HOT water!
Really happy with the results, I don’t know if you’ll be able to see the flames but burners 1 and 2 are totally blue and number 3 is mostly blue with slightly yellow caps. Next on the list is some sort of door, I’m thinking about corrugated steel with a magnetic attachment system.
Those who wondered if I was equipped with tools can rest assured that I have a pretty good arsenal. D45ADA79-8ECA-44E3-9B08-3701BDD17C41.jpeg

Back