New to Webers

Patrick M

Being tired of buying big box midgrade grills I got a second hand Spirit three burner 310 grill in need of a few repairs.
It fires up and gets temps that exceed 500 degrees but on my previous grills the flames were mainly blue. Is it normal for Webers too have mostly yellow flames coming around the edges of the flavor bars? And if not how do I adjust the burn?

Yellow flames with blue tips are normal for a Weber gas grill. You're probably just used to lesser brands.

Sorry, maybe that wasn't the answer you were looking for. First, welcome to the forum! Second, if you think you have a problem with your flames and before you do any adjustments take the flavorizer bars off and fire up the grill. Take a picture of the flames (preferably at night) and post it up here so we can see what's happening.

Thanks, yes I am use to the cheaper grills. I know this one is kind of a starter grill and it also needs some work but I can’t wait to get it all fixed upand looking sharp.
It was missing a caster and the door. I didn’t notice when I bought it but one of the ears that the top pivots on had broken off at some point and had been put back on with a bad epoxy job. But for seventy bucks I’ve got the start of a good grill.

Welcome.

If it gets hot, a little yellow mixed with blue flame isn't a bad thing.

Yes Pics please.

Of the burners with it off, and lit at night no flash, burners lit on high and on low.

Also, If you can get the first two letters of the serial number on the tag, we'll know the year.

Last edited:
I’m thinking I need a new regulator, last couple times lighting it had a very weak flame and wouldn’t light the crossover bar till I shut off the gas, unhooked from the tank and then rehooked up.
Full tank

Not 100 % sure. But it may be the burners need a really good cleaning.

Try a good stainless brush on one burner,

Gas off not lit.

See if opening up the burner slots improves the flame.

Its not bad, but I think it could be better.

I’m thinking I need a new regulator, last couple times lighting it had a very weak flame and wouldn’t light the crossover bar till I shut off the gas, unhooked from the tank and then rehooked up.
Full tank
Doesn't look ideal. Like Dan mentioned, cleaning burner tubes and crossover may improve things. Like you mentioned, it could also be the regulator, they do go bad. If it was my grill I would probably order a new burner tube set and regulator just to make sure.

Yah, those are not "Good" gas grill flames. You might be getting a hot grill, but your grilling results will probably have varying results.
The easiest and cheapest thing to do is to get a wire brush and brush them off particularly over the holes. You can do that while they are still in the grill, but taking them out will allow you to do a much better job. If things don't improve significantly, then you have to look at replacing the regulator and/or determining if it has NG orifices on it or not.
I would start with cleaning up the burners and report back though.
Blue flames are great. Blue flames with small yellow/orange tips are great. Flames that are mostly yellow/orange are not good. But keep in mind that after you clean up the burners, they will burn with a lot of yellow orange for a little while until all the loose debris is burned up.

Those almost look like LP in a NG grill.
You definitely want to check for this. Natural gas grills use a substantially larger volume of gas, propane uses a lower volume of gas. So if your grill is a NG but somebody slapped a propane regulator on (not uncommon) you could be burning WAY too much propane. I'd either take a picture of or write down and report back the serial number on your grill so we can help you determine whether it is set up for NG or propane. If you are running propane in a natural gas setup, you'll be way too hot all the time, and you will waste a lot of fuel too. Just two cents.

I am sorry that your first foray into Weber gas grills has not gone very well and also that it is not a simple plug and play type of a fix. Please don't get discouraged. There is a reason that it is doing that, and that reason can certainly be fixed!

In absence of a serial number, does the bottom pan of your grill have the round cutout for the LP bottle to sit in? If it doesn’t, that will be our first solid clue that it was probably born as a natural gasser and may not have been properly converted to LP.

That particular grill may not have come with a tank hanger. Not sure about Spirits and more so 2 burners. But, unless that grill came with a replaced bottom, that grill started out life as an LP grill. If you can find that data sticker with the serial number on it. That will tell us for sure. The data sticker might be that white sticker on the bottom to the left of the LP tank.

That particular grill The data sticker might be that white sticker on the bottom to the left of the LP tank.
On the pic above the SN was on the white sticker on the floor.

That's the only spirit I've seen in person other than at a dealer.

Back