New to TVWBB - Just Purchased a WSM

Vaughan

TVWBB Member
I have been using a Char-Griller with the side fire box for many years with great results - butts, 3-2-1 ribs, chicken. Over the years I wanted to try a vertical water smoker and picked up a couple of the Brinkmann El Cheapo smokers and tossed them due to poor performance and quality (but what should one expect for ~$45.00). This week I took the plunge and picked up a WSM from the local Home Depot. I assembled it last night and am amazed at the quality. A first class product. I am a little nervous in using it for the first time. I have read the reports about the 10 hour smokes and am hoping I can get these results. Also, I have never used the "Minion Method" so it will be interesting to see how the first smoke goes. I am thinking of doing chicken since this will not be a big investment.

Any tips are appreciated.

Ed

Welcome to the addiction. I to had a CG w/sfb for quite awhile and I believe you're going to really like the WSM,it really does go the distance. There is a lot of info here and a super good group of people. Read through some of the topics here if you already haven't, that should help to eliminate some of the smaller issues. So I'll toss in my .02 worth right off. The smoker will probably run hot the first couple of times you use it because of the newness of it meaning its just to clean and shiny inside so I would suggest useing the water pan with water the first few cooks until you get a better feel for it. The minion method is real easy, dump your charcoal (or layer and pack it for a longest burn yet) into the ring and give it a shake to settle it a little, light about 20 briquettes in a chimney starter and when they are ready dump them on top in the middle of the charcoal. Some people spred them around a little but thats up to you. Put the smoker together and leave the vents open until your temp gets (this part will very from person to person)around 190-195 and close 2 vents all the way and the 3rd one about half way until you get to with in about 10 degrees of your target temp. I put my food on when I put the smoker together some wait until it settles in to where they want it. The biggest thing is to relax,you use to use a CG for crying out loud, this is going to be a walk in the park and enjoy some of the easiest smoker cooking you've done in a long time. Chicken is an excellant choice for your first cook just incase the temps do run high on you,mine did the first couple of times.

Welcome to TVWBB and I hope you enjoy your WSM as much as I enjoy mine.

It's hard to suggest more than what Don has already suggested. But I will add that Weber has put a lot of thought into the WSM and until you get accustomed to it, it is probably best to follow the directions.

The only thing I've seen folks do that IMO is a mistake is to run an empty smoker as a test run. Waste of good charcoal!

Welcome and congrats to the new & last smoker you ever need.

Don covered it all i guess. Then its just trial´n´error ontill you have it perfected.

Even the errors usually turns out pretty tasty
icon_wink.gif

Congrats Vaugh
As with any new toy, the WSM has a learning curve to use but luckily its a short one. As Don mentioned a new WSM tends to run a bit hot. For my first cook I would cook your favorite chicken recipee and fire up the smoker using the "standard method" http://www.virtualweberbullet....ireup1.html#standard

or use Chris' basic chicker recipee. Yummy
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken6.html

Two more things, once you get the hang of using the cooker you'll be cooking like a champ and controlling the temps by just adjusting the bottom 3 vents is remarkable easy and stable.

And finally, this is the best most useful board I've see on the net IMHO.

Happy Smoking

Welcome to the board Vaugh and congrats. Can't add to much to what was said except make sure you've got plently of cold beverages and enjoy it!

Another good cook for first timers (or second timers if you're going with chicken for the first cook) is Pork Butt (or pork shoulder). Extremely forgiving meat and honestly it's pretty hard to mess it up.

Good luck on the first cook and we LOVE pictures around here
icon_smile.gif
. Just sayin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">[make sure you've got plently of cold beverages </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot that one,the WSM is so easy to use you'll actually have time to enjoy a couple before they get warm cause ya won't be run'n out to tweek your smoker all the time ..
icon_biggrin.gif

As has been said. I'm new to it too and have only used it twice (10lb of pulled pork last a while for 2 people)
icon_wink.gif

Temps are easy to maintain (takes about a hour from lighting the chimney to dumping and getting the rest of the briquets going) by closing off the lower vents.

First time for me I had the 225o dialed in for 7 hr straight. The bottom vents (on a new unit) were only open less than 1/4" on all 3.

Set it and forget it. After the initial-->Gee, I haven't looked for a while, better check on it. Oh, no need it's still at 225o. Sweet!

No break in period for this unit for me.

I might also add that the OEM therm in the lid isn't going to be dead on,I'm on the 3rd one, Weber sent replacements for free but just a heads up. I say this because the 1st one(original) wouldn't go over 255 when the grate temp was 285+ but kept up with grate temps until then the 2nd one stayed around 220 when the grate was at 260+ and both of these fogged up so bad you couldn't read them and now with the 3rd I seem to run about 15 degrees lower than the grate through out the whole cook which at least I can compensate for and can live with

Welcome to the passion. Others said it so well that this smoker will be the only one if not the last one you will ever need. Just a thought my 2cents...after reading others suggestions I loaded up the Weber and ran it hot and empty just to get the factory residue off. Enjoy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by P. Kelly:
Welcome to the passion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Passion? Yeah maybe but I consider it a sport. I settle down into my favorite chair on the patio, grab a few tasty beverages and watch Mr. Weber run.

Steve

Really the only things I'll add to what's already been said are these:

Temperatures change slowly so get in the habit of making a small change and waiting at least 20-30 minutes before you make any further changes. Otherwise you'll end up just chasing temps all over the place. Get in the habit of NOT checking it every 5 minutes once your underway with a cook.

Also, it's not the end of the world if the temps go up or down by 15-20 degrees. Just try to catch it as soon as you can and continue on. The meat WON'T be ruined if your temp jumped from 225 to 250 for a little while.

Relax, grab a coldie and a comfortable chair and enjoy!

Russ

Back