new to the WSM

Good luck Cole! What outdoor temps are you expecting up there in Maine when you smoke on Friday?

high of 30 Fletcher...its inside my insulated, unheated garage however....next to the fridge :) low on Thursday night and Friday night of 18 !!

smoked for the first time this morning! cooked a pork shoulder for 8 hours....slightly overdone...should have listened to my meat thermometer rather than the manual for the cooker....tried to get to 190 but really, it was cooked at 170 (6 hours). the WSM rocks.....maintained temperature the entire time, fluctuated between 225 and 275 but hung around 230-250 most of the time....couldn't believe the fire kept that long and sustained those temperatures....i'm addicted....

Don't be afraid to smoke outside in the cold. It will keep you from smoking up your garage. I was worried about cold temps when I first started with my WSM. But I seem to use my smoker more in the winter than i do in the summer (I seem to have more time). It's amazing how they will hold temps in the cold,even on fairly windy days.

Line the pan with foil and fill with water. And buy some chicken on sale. Fire it up and throw some apple or pecan wood in it will be the best chicken you ever had. Water evens the heat out.
WSM's make the best chicken period.

It is not complicated and some people make it WAY more complicated than it has to be. That's why you should read LESS and cook MORE. Seriously. Just have fun using your WSM for a while.

Chris nailed it!
Just remember people 100's of years ago were turning out Great BBQ.
Although, I'd bet there were those even back then that obsessed over the smallest of details. Just think if Ben Franklin, along with all his other interests, considered himself a "Pit Master".

Have fun with it, relax, and keep the "SLOW" in "Low and Slow".
Cheers,
J

No sense wasting good charcoal. But if your in a hurry,and don't want to wait for the time it takes most things to cook. Get some bacon and slap that on there. It only takes an hour or two. And if you havn't tasted bacon right off of a smoker. Well ,it melts in your mouth.

That's what I'm doing right now. I have a rack of baby backs on the lower grate and a pound of bacon on the top rack of my WSM 18.5. I've done baby backs before using the 3-2-1 method and they come out falling off the bone, which we love. You just gave me the idea to try the bacon. Looking forward to it.

Back