New to the Forum w/Questions

Andy Kay

TVWBB Member
Just bought my WSM last week and smoked my first butt a couple days ago. Did not use enough wood so the smoke flavor was a little weak. Tasted really great when it was finished.

But, after warming it up it has an off taste to it.
Can't really describe but I'm sure most of you know the taste. Question is, what causes this taste and what do I need to do different?

Cooked the butt for 11 hours @ around 250 degrees. Took it off at 195 degrees.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

how much wood did you use? there's a chance it's over smoked. People rarely taste the smoke the same day you cook it. It takes a day or so to really know it's there.

Kev

What kind of charcoal did you use. I switched from Kingsford Blue to a mix of Royal Oak lump and Stubbs Briquettes because of that "off" taste. Once I made that switch, the "off" tase instantly went away - first cook. Something to consider. Or maybe as K McCarthy says - too much smoke. 6 chunks of wood for one butt may be a little much. But I have never done a butt so don't take my word for it.

As far as tasting the smoke the day you cook - here is what I do. I try to take a shower and change clothes once my food is on and I know I won't need to hang around the smoker much. I also keep an orange or two in the fridge and snack on them to clean my palate while the meat cooks. It may be a bit extreme but its no big deal if you go about it the right way. Just my 2 cents.

6 chunks of wood for one butt is a lot for my pallet. But if you're still not tasting smoke I'm not sure what the issue may be. What was your rub? and how long did it cook?

Kev

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ Harris:
As far as tasting the smoke the day you cook - here is what I do. I try to take a shower and change clothes once my food is on and I know I won't need to hang around the smoker much. I also keep an orange or two in the fridge and snack on them to clean my palate while the meat cooks. It may be a bit extreme but its no big deal if you go about it the right way. Just my 2 cents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too funny. I too can't enjoy my meal until I have showered and changed clothes after pulling off the smoker.

11 hours isn't out of reason, depending on the size of butt. When I do 7 to 8 1b butts at 225-250 they usually take 12-14 hours.

Was the meat cold when you put it on the grill? Putting the meat on cold (rather than bringing up to room temp) is supposed to make the smoke have more impact. Also, did your wood burn up quickly during the first hour or so? You want smoke around the meat for at least the first couple of hours. If you use the Minion method, you want to spread the wood around throughout the unlit coals, so you get smoke for at least 3-4 hours.

Finally...if you had a thick fat layer, and left most of that on, it probably rendered away, or you discarded it when the butt was done. You want to trim fat to about 1/4" otherwise the rub and the smoke go into the fat, not the meat.

Just some observations.

JJ

JJ, the wood did burn up rather quickly and the meat was cold. I'm starting to think the taste is warming up in the microwave. It produces a taste not everyone can taste.

Howdy hi Andy,

As a new WSM user, I suspect that you spent considerable time exposed to the smoke. And, as was previously mentioned, smoke exposure diminishes many folks' ability to taste/smell smoke on the finished product. Smoke flavor is one of those sensory perceptions where aroma influences what we think of as taste while the food is in the mouth and being chewed. Sensory overload by exposure to smoke reduces the ability to sense the smoke "flavor" in the meat.

As to the off taste, one thing that hasn't been mentioned, yet, is warmed-over flavor. Smoking meat helps to reduce the warmed-over flavor (WOF), but does not usually eliminate it altogether. One mechanism by which the smoking process helps ward off WOF is by way of producing water soluble nitrogen compounds that are absorbed* into the meat (Think of the nitrogen compounds that also have a different, yet, somewhat chemically similar role in smoke ring formation). (*Yes, I do mean absorbed in this case, not adsorbed like smoke particles adhering to the meat.)

Some folks are not very perceptive to WOF at all. Some folks are very highly perceptive to it. And, there is a range of perception in between for other folks.

Often the WOF is masked by highly flavorful rubs and sauces. Nevertheless, folks highly perceptive to WOF will usually be able to detect the rancidity in the warmed-over meat despite the masking flavors.

The genetic makeup of the animal and the type of feeds the animal consumed will have some effect on the type of fat stored in the meat and, consequently, the degree to which rancidity takes place and the degree of WOF that occurs.

I prepare pulled pork and beef relatively frequently. I don't overwhelm the natural meat flavor with rubs or sauces. Despite similar preparation and storage, I usually detect considerable variation in WOF between similar cuts of meat.

More information on warmed-over flavor.

###

D.L. I suspect the WOF is what I am noticing. Smoke is not the issue, if anything, not enough.

Went back to the fridge and tried some of the pulled pork cold. Taste great! But I don't like cold pulled pork sandwiches
icon_frown.gif

Thanks for the info, I knew someone out there knew the taste I was speaking of.

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Was the meat cold when you put it on the grill? Putting the meat on cold (rather than bringing up to room temp) is supposed to make the smoke have more impact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what I forgot to say. Cold meat does seem to hold the smoke flavor better. I think I read somewhere that the meat's ability to absorb the smoke is better when the meat is cold. I've recently gotten into the practice of putting my meat on the smoker either straight from the fridge or no more than about 5 minutes out of the fridge. My last smoke was a standing rib roast and it had an internal temp of 36 degrees when it went on the WSM - it had only been out of the fridge a few minutes. Give that a shot and see how it works out for you.

Hi Andy, When you say Warming it up in the nuke. How long and what power are you nuking at. When I reheat my pulled pork I like to do it in the oven covered with just a little spritz of apple juice to keep things moist. Comes out great..

DL, this is the first I've ever heard of the warmed over flavour issue (rancid is such a horrible word).

That said, I'm not sure the microwave is the best reheating tool unless time is an issue. Everyone has their method. I like placing the meat in a heavy ziplock and reheating it in simmering water on the stovetop.

Funny aside to Sensory Overload - My dad used to make a great bolognese sauce. He would start it in the early morning and tend to it all day. By the time dinner came, each and every time, he would proclaim "I've been smelling that crap all day. I'm not even hungry" and proceed to pick at a small plate. After watching him a few times I started to notice that when he did his hourly "taste test" he sopped up the sauce with a big hunk of bread. Suffice it to say, by dinner time, he had eaten half a loaf of bread and a great portion of sauce
icon_smile.gif

JDH

Back