New to me SMW 18"

Nigel

I'll have to make a post in the introduction thread but just wanted to say hi.

A coworker of mine is helping their elderly friends downsize and they just happen to have a smoker.

I was talking to her a while back about smoking and she mentioned that they had one, she didn't know the brand, make, or model of anything, just said they had a smoker.

She brought it to work and said they don't want anything in terms of money they just don't want it at their house anymore.

I was expecting some janky thing and was quite surprised when I saw it was a Smoky mountain!

It's in pretty decent shape and it appears to be before the 2014 year because I do not see the side silicone grommet for a thermometer.

I've never smoked anything in my life, we do have a Weber charcoal grill and I have a Weber Genesis propane. I literally use the propane grill everyday.

With the Smokey mountain it looks like I'm going to have to get the charcoal brisket basket and the charcoal grate, other than that it looks complete to me. Seems like the previous owner of the smoker actually has the seal kit because I can see it around the smoking door and on top of the lid. Just needs a deep good old fashioned cleaning.

I've already started looking at so many threads of people modifying their smoker and unfortunately I can't keep anything stock so I can imagine that there's going to be some modifications done shortly.

But just wanted to say hello and excited to be part of the group :)

20240911_215528.jpg
20240911_215536.jpg
20240911_215629.jpg

-Nigel

Nice!

If there's no grommet, look up the side-notching threads where a notch is cut on the main body to allow thermo wires to pass in.

Otherwise yeah there's a ton of options as you've seen. I've liked everything I've got from Cajun Bandit and Unknown BBQ. Cajun door took a little reshaping but got there in the end.

New lid thermometer is nice if you want to make it your own.

Welcome.

Looks like you have the charcoal grate already. It is the one without handles.

But you are missing one cooking grate? Check the fit to be sure which one you have. The lower rack is slightly smaller than the top rack. The top rack is the one that is most often used. Top rack is the more standard size and easier cheaper to find.

Appreciate the info!

Yep looks like the charcoal grate. I can put the water pan in and then right above that the smaller grate fits, then above that the larger grate. I think the newer runs the smaller cooking grate has handles. I might update that while I'm ordering stuff off weber's site but I honestly can't see myself cooking on the lower grate. Seems too much of a pita to have to remove whatever is on top to get to the bottom, so realistically probably never use it.

I thought about the canjun side shelf, that alone looks like it's worth it. Plus the little clip thing that goes on the front door to lock the piece together so they don't tip. If nothing else to have the thermometer a place to sit on. I'm really surprized that after all these years Weber hasn't dont minor tweaks to the unit just for sheer ease of use. IE: Little bump out bracket to hold the thermometer, or come up with a side shelf/lid holder...etc. Just basic stuff that would make life easier. All good though.

I have noticed that people put the gasket on the actual door itself, where as with mine the previous owner put it on the smoker itself. Should I get a new kit and put it on the door vs the body of the smoker?

Cutting a slot definitely seems worth it for the probe.

I'm going to clean and pressure wash (not hard) the entire thing inside just to clean it up and hope that I get the rest of the pieces so that I can start "attempt" to smoke some chicken or steak. It'll be interesting for sure. I think mainly because right now I don't have a clue how much/little charcoal to add in order to figure out how long of a cook it needs to be.......... but that's all in the learning process I suppose.

Looking forward to it all though :-)

-Nigel

Nigel -- the no handle grate is for the charcoal. 15.75 diameter; part 63013. It goes all the way at the bottom. And then you put the charcoal ring (which you are missing) on top of the charcoal grate. A common mod a lot of us use is two of those criss-crossed to hold smaller charcoal pieces up in the fire.

Water pan goes on the brackets. Then the bottom cooking grate (has squiggly handles iirc) goes right above the water pan on the same brackets. Weber part number 85042 which is 17 diameter.

Then the top cooking grate goes on the rim. 17.5 diameter with straight handles. Part 7432. I think you have the top cooking grate.

Enjoy.

Jim,

Appreciate it! So then the grate I have IS for the charcoal.. interesting because I thought it was the middle lower cooking rack since it fit perfectly above the water pan.

It looks greasy so i just assumed it was that cooking tray. Good to know then! I was about to order everything today when I get home.

So you are saying I should order ANOTHER charcoal grate and criss cross it? (Just want to make sure I am understanding), that's fine, they aren't expensive and that totally makes sense on the holding the smaller charcoal pieces, probably makes for a cleaner cook as well?

Definitely have the top cooking grate. It looks almost identical to our charcoal weber one now, it might even be the same. I haven't swapped back and forth to see.

Thanks for the help so far!

-Nigel

Looks like they used the water pan as a charcoal bowl.
You did mention your missing the charcoal ring?
If you use lump the criss crossed grates help keep smaller pieces from falling thru. If using briquettes then not really necessary.

So you are saying I should order ANOTHER charcoal grate and criss cross it? (Just want to make sure I am understanding), that's fine, they aren't expensive and that totally makes sense on the holding the smaller charcoal pieces, probably makes for a cleaner cook as well?
The second grate is smaller, I think it’s 18”, someone else can correct me if I’m wrong.

This sits snugly inside the charcoal basket. Some people wire them to the basket so that it’s one unit.

The second grate is smaller, I think it’s 18”, someone else can correct me if I’m wrong.

This sits snugly inside the charcoal basket. Some people wire them to the basket so that it’s one unit.

Appreciate the info!

Yep looks like the charcoal grate. I can put the water pan in and then right above that the smaller grate fits, then above that the larger grate. I think the newer runs the smaller cooking grate has handles. I might update that while I'm ordering stuff off weber's site but I honestly can't see myself cooking on the lower grate. Seems too much of a pita to have to remove whatever is on top to get to the bottom, so realistically probably never use it.

I thought about the canjun side shelf, that alone looks like it's worth it. Plus the little clip thing that goes on the front door to lock the piece together so they don't tip. If nothing else to have the thermometer a place to sit on. I'm really surprized that after all these years Weber hasn't dont minor tweaks to the unit just for sheer ease of use. IE: Little bump out bracket to hold the thermometer, or come up with a side shelf/lid holder...etc. Just basic stuff that would make life easier. All good though.

I have noticed that people put the gasket on the actual door itself, where as with mine the previous owner put it on the smoker itself. Should I get a new kit and put it on the door vs the body of the smoker?

Cutting a slot definitely seems worth it for the probe.

I'm going to clean and pressure wash (not hard) the entire thing inside just to clean it up and hope that I get the rest of the pieces so that I can start "attempt" to smoke some chicken or steak. It'll be interesting for sure. I think mainly because right now I don't have a clue how much/little charcoal to add in order to figure out how long of a cook it needs to be.......... but that's all in the learning process I suppose.

Looking forward to it all though :-)

-Nigel
Don't worry about how much coal to use. Load that sucker up fully with coal - you don't want to run low in the middle of a smoke. When your smoke is done just close all the vents to choke out the remaining coal, which can then be used for your next smoke.

Correct. The slightly smaller second charcoal grate goes on top and criss-crossed.

I did the whole 3-in-1 mod -- criss cross grates, charcoal ring and handles all wired and bolted together to make a basket. After a cook, you snuff it out. Before the next cook, pick up the one piece basket, shake out the cold ashes, leaving the partially burned briqs behind, then refill the basket and lit it up.

Since you have to get a new ring anyway, you could just buy a whole new charcoal basket unit. ArborFab, Hunsaker, Amazon, etc.

Attachments

• wsm mod4 charcoal basket.jpg
    wsm mod4 charcoal basket.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 5

Back