New to me Silver B

DanMcCauley

A few years ago my uncle was moving and offered me his old grill. I had a Char-Broil that still worked, but I like "free" and thought it would be nice to have a backup for when my grill went, so I said yes and put it in the back of my shed. Fast forward a few years and we now have a kid and life is busy and the grill is falling apart.

I remembered the grill in the shed and pulled it out. Thanks to this forum I determined it's a Weber Genesis Silver B, from 2000-2003 I think?

Anyway, it looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm going to wipe it down and fire it up soon. I'm excited to join the club and wanted to share.

Attachments

• IMG_20230713_094326.jpg
    IMG_20230713_094326.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20230713_094244.jpg
    IMG_20230713_094244.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230713_094247.jpg
    IMG_20230713_094247.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 33
Welcome Dan.

That silver B like really good. It has the extra swing up side table on the right too.

I think the year is 2000 or 2001. Overall in great condition for a 20+ year old grill.

Welcome to TVWBB, Dan!

Those are great grills from when a Weber was really a Weber! A little elbow grease and you can have a gem of a classic grill. The inside of the hood will clean up nicely with a scraper razor and some Simple Green and 0000 steel wool will clean up the rest and the outside of the hood and the control panel. If you want to do more there is always something! Refreshing the Weber badge comes to mind. I like painting the kettle on the badge red :coolkettle: .

At some point, if you want to go all-out you could look into solid rod stainless grates. What you have looks serviceable enough, however.

Twin brother says hi!

DD/2000 "Special Edition" Silver B.

Special means two flip up tables, SS flav bars, stamped SS grates, special mica lid.

My lid is green like yours. IIRC, Weber also did mica black and mica blue. Flecks like you see in a metallic car finish.

The second table makes for a nice grilling station in a small footprint. And also compensates for the right side being used up by the control panel (one of the negatives of the sidewinder design).

Mine is still going strong. Swapped out the grates, but the OEM flavo bars still in there. Replacement parts, if you need them, still have good availability.

After 20+ years of heavy use, my cook box started to bow out in the front. As the original owner, Weber sent me a new warranty cookbox. With a brand new cookbox, this grill will be passed down in my will.

A razor blade scraper works amazingly well on the inside of the lid. A 50/50 mix of bleach/water (wear old clothes!) works wonders on the gray plastic work tables.

Attachments

• Silver B.jpg
    Silver B.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yah, nothing like dual flip up tables. Another significant thing that the older grills have over the newer ones.

My cooler table started out as a blue lid silver B, firebox was toast after a few years with DIL so, I started the tear down, recycled the box, roughed out the cooler trolley, all I need is to find a thermoset side table and I’ve got a pretty fair “Horseshoe Bar” as my father might say.

Welcome to TVWBB, Dan!

Those are great grills from when a Weber was really a Weber! A little elbow grease and you can have a gem of a classic grill. The inside of the hood will clean up nicely with a scraper razor and some Simple Green and 0000 steel wool will clean up the rest and the outside of the hood and the control panel. If you want to do more there is always something! Refreshing the Weber badge comes to mind. I like painting the kettle on the badge red :coolkettle: .

At some point, if you want to go all-out you could look into solid rod stainless grates. What you have looks serviceable enough, however.

Thanks for the tips. I hope to clean it up this coming weekend and will definitely use your suggestions.

Twin brother says hi!

DD/2000 "Special Edition" Silver B.

Special means two flip up tables, SS flav bars, stamped SS grates, special mica lid.

My lid is green like yours. IIRC, Weber also did mica black and mica blue. Flecks like you see in a metallic car finish.

The second table makes for a nice grilling station in a small footprint. And also compensates for the right side being used up by the control panel (one of the negatives of the sidewinder design).

Mine is still going strong. Swapped out the grates, but the OEM flavo bars still in there. Replacement parts, if you need them, still have good availability.

After 20+ years of heavy use, my cook box started to bow out in the front. As the original owner, Weber sent me a new warranty cookbox. With a brand new cookbox, this grill will be passed down in my will.

A razor blade scraper works amazingly well on the inside of the lid. A 50/50 mix of bleach/water (wear old clothes!) works wonders on the gray plastic work tables.

Thanks for the info Jim - Much appreciated!

Great to hear about the longevity of yours and thanks for the tip on cleaning the work tables.

Back