New to me Q120 (corrected)

Sam L

I've been looking at Qs recently and stumbled on an ok condition Q220 for $50 (CDN). I'm most concerned about the state of the grate and whether it is useable.

I've tried to read as much as I could in the forums but I'm not sure what to start with first:
a) Remove grates and soak/scrub them with sponge/dish detergent
OR
b) Fire up the grill and burn/brush off as much as I can.

I don't have power tools to take this down to bare metal so if that's my only course of action I may have to replace.

Thanks in advance for weighing in.IMG-20210330-WA0001.jpeg

Me? I would toss it. There are some very nice ones on Amazon in cast iron enamel coated for less than half the cost of OEM and then there is the stainless ones you see Bruce and I enjoying. I highly recommend that route

I agree with Larry 100%. Those are toast. New CI enameld are reasonably priced and if you want low maintenance, last forever grates for it, get some SS ones.

Sam, those stainless steel ones Larry and Bruce mention are really nice but are $150 CDN landed in Canada. Here is the link for Amazon.com in the USA.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RZ17FC/?tag=tvwb-20

You will need these clips too since they are two piece grates

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G1PGT2T/?tag=tvwb-20

This one is $80 in Canada but is enamelled.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/AFTERMARKE/

The Weber ones are $100 in Canada.

Since that looks to be one of the older enamelled impregnated ones you could try cleaning it up but it will take some work and no guarantees. Spray with oven cleaner and put it in a green garbage bag in the sun and leave it for 24 to 48 hours. Use gloves and all the precautions needed when using the oven cleaner. Rinse well and use a wire brush to clean it off. Maybe even a wooden handled one from a paint or hardware store with the really stiff bristles. Then if it looks good, season it several times like a cast iron fry pan. I have done this several times to them and get no flaking off of the enamel like on the new thick enamelled ones. I just chucked a set of the original thick enamelled ones last week from my Q3200 which I was really lucky to get six years out of. No refurbishing those.

Good luck.

Really that grate set is too far gone. I did not use the clips BTW. Many of the Q's now come with 2 piece grates OEM so already have the support in the body

Right, I know the early 200 grills came with single piece grates and only one support in the middle. I am not sure if the 220 had the double supports, but I am pretty sure the 2000 and up grills do.
I have a 200 that only had the single support, so when I bought my set of SS grates, I welded them together to make a single grate that worked on my 200.

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I think I would have to buy the clips (they're like $17) separately unless I buy the OEM part which comes with them.

I'm inclined to at least try Richard's suggestion as I picked up this grill mainly for a cheap camping grill. SS grate looks sweet, but that costs more than what I paid for my main grill (not a Weber):p

Your health is worth more than the possible saving from using those grates. I would not even touch food cooked on those

All of the 1XX, 2XX, 3XX grills like Sam’s had a one piece grate and need the accessory supports. That is why Bruce had to weld his together. Only the me style 1XXX, 2XXX and 3XXX have two piece grills with the supports built into the firebox.
Sam, by all means, if you have flaking enamel coming off the grates after cleaning them, don’t use them.

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I think I would have to buy the clips (they're like $17) separately unless I buy the OEM part which comes with them.

I'm inclined to at least try Richard's suggestion as I picked up this grill mainly for a cheap camping grill. SS grate looks sweet, but that costs more than what I paid for my main grill (not a Weber):p
The second cast iron grate I linked to is a one piece grate and would not need the accessory clips to hold up the middle. It is a direct after market replacement for your original one.

Thanks for the tip Jacob. I took the grill apart over the weekend (except the bottom of the plastic frame after reading Jacob's thread) and gave it a good cleaning. The grill fires up and seems to hold temp ok.

I tried to clean up the cooking grates (grill cleaner and steel wool) but the wife is a bit hesitant on the remaining rust. I assume some enamel has broken off and it's rusting from the inside.

I've been looking for replacements but we don't have too much choice up here in Canada compared to US.

I'm considering OEM (about $100) or these cast iron ones:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SBSCVXJ/

They're aftermarket but I'm inclined to give them a try since the OEM is slightly pricey and this is my secondary grill. They're cast iron with no enamel, what are the pros/cons of CI only vs OEM?

Oh also I found out out is a Q120 not Q220. I've corrected the title.

Sorry the old ones didn’t clean up Sam. I hate the new OEM ones as the enamel
Doesn’t last, so would go with the aftermarket ones. They will be more maintenance though as you have to keep them oiled but there is no enamel to flake off. If they do rust you can wire wheel it off and reseason them. The really nice Stanbroil ones for the Q120, which I think is what Bruce and LMichaels got are around $130 CDN shipped to Canada. Decisions, decisions!

The photo Bruce posted is what I have on my Q320. They work great (grate) and easy maintenance

Back