New to forum, to Q and burning everything!!

Jeff
Thank you for the kind words.
I am extremely pleased that my posts have helped You, Suzie and many others in mastering cooking on the Q. The fact that you have continued on and are developing methods of Low and Slow and other styles of cooking is testimony to your dedication to the craft.
Using a waterpan is a good method of maintaining temp stability, if you top it up make sure you use boiling water this helps maintain constant temps. The only con with using a water tray is that you are cooking in a high humidity environment and it sometimes has a tendancy to steam cook so that you loose some of the BBQ flavours. I overcome this by cooking a bit of chuck steak (stewing beef) direct on the grill and let the grilled BBQ meat flavour mix with the steam laden air and circulate over the dish.

Cheers

Phil

Agreed on avoiding "steaming". The technique falls under the category of "just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it". I'm not sure I would ever try to do a true "low and slow" on my Q, but it is comforting to know I can if I ever need to.

On the other hand, steaming has it's good points. I used a pan of broth under an eye of round roast and it made an otherwise tough cut of meat much more tender. See my post on Italian Beef. I like the idea of the "sacrificial" direct cooked piece of meat. Might give that a go next time I braise.

Jeff
You can always rest it for a long time in an esky (I think that you guys call them a cooler.)
Cook the roast to about 10 degrees below the target temp and turn the Q down as low as you can and continue to cook until it is 5 degrees less than the target temp, (the longer it takes to get there the better) Take the meat off and double wrap it in foil and place in an esky, wrap a couple of old towels over it and put the lid on. You can preheat the esky by pouring some boiling water in it and then tip the water out and dry the esky before placing the meat in it. The meat temp will rise about 5 degrees (heat transfer from the outer to the inner part.) The meat will reach target temp and hold there for a few hours, the meat will be rested and tender. Note take care opening the foil there will be juices in the bottom, the juices can be poured back over the meat once it is sliced or used to make gravy.

Cheers

Captain

Only 12 more views to make 10,000 views, thats mighty impressive. Seems like there are quite a few people that have similar experiences to Suzie Q's
I am glad that i have helped some people.

Cheers

Phil

I was jus re-reading these posts and wondered whatever happened to Suzie Q and how she is cooking now. I noted hat he post count is over 10000 here, it also has a lot of followers at the Aussie Cue forum as well.

Have a great Xmas and fantastic new year.

Last edited:
Phil, when I first rescued my Q200 from its sad life with its former owner, I found a copy of your .pdf, and it helped me greatly to adapt what I knew about cooking on my other weber grills to the more constrained space on the Q. I used that grill a lot, and when it came time to send it off to college with my daughter, I made sure it went with a copy of your tips and recipes. A fantastic resource, and just wanted to say thanks (since you popped in and bumped this thread.) :)

Glad you are still around.....and, what did ever happen to Suzie?!? :)

Rich

Back