New stoker-web

I just finished my new stoker-web setup that I thought might be of interest. I've never had much success getting the wifi on my gen 1 wifi stoker to connected to my home network....it just don't do it. finally I decided to take a different route.
I setup a raspberry pi to run as both a router and a server. The router uses wifi to connect to the network then runs a separate subnet out the ethernet port for the stoker which is now wired only. Toss in a tomcat server and stoker-web and now wherever I go, I have a working stoker-web configuration that is wifi capable and could easily run off a battery if needed and it only ran me another $35 for the pi!

Thanks for all the work Gary! (I know my family appreciates the shorter, less kludge-like setup too)

Eventually I want to re-bundle the whole thing into a small pelican type case so I have one box instead of two, but that is for another day.

Installing Stoker-web on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

For fun today I tried to get stoker-web installed on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS NUC PC. It's smaller than the Stoker and is a Core i5. I downloaded the runStokerweb.jar per the instructions and everything seemed fine, but when I open the localhost:8080, it pops up a configuration page and it has my probes and blower listed. I can update that and even login as the user I created. But I never see the dials or graph. I'll insert some screen shots:

212s9pg.jpg
[/IMG]

wiou9g.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, I finally pulled my head out of my smoker and figured out that I had not properly configured the Stoker-web settings via the drag and drop function. Dials are now showing.

I wanted to close on issues above with configuration. I've gotten a lot more familiar with the operation and used stoker-web on my NUC PC monitoring the Stoker during a 14 hour smoke last weekend. Worked flawlessly. I used whatever PC/tablet was handy to login and check the cook, even used the Android phone app to work with the Stoker-web server. I setup my router so I could open the Stoker-web server on the WWW and have the phone app update me while I was away from the house for dinner.
Picture below. Note the NUC sitting on top of the Stoker in a weather proof plastic box. Also note the professional use of duct tape to build little awnings over the connector ports. :)

211ur09.jpg

Just plugged my stoker back in for a long cook and ran Stoker Web only to get a directory instead of the gauges... Anyone run into this?

hello all …. long time owner of Stoker (old version 2.6.0.193) …. have run StokerLog on Windows in past, but I have lost access to Windows machines

I saw this ref to a web based tool to control my BGE …. but I'm now a (novice) mac person

any links to StokerWeb on mac for Dummies?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

edited to add:
I made a little progress (I think)

got the runStokerweb.jar downloaded

ran it from the command line and got similar error as a previous poster:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/gbak/sweb/run/RunStokerweb : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:621)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

then followed suggestion to previous poster and ran java -version with these results:

java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode

don't know if this is the correct version …. when I run the Java applet to verify my level of Java, I get:
"You have the recommended Java Installed (Version 8 Update 45)."

now I'm stumped (again)

Last edited:
not sure anyone is still working with Stoker-web for development, but I still use it when cooking. I recently converted my server to a Pandaboard (TI OMAP4 ARM) because it's fast enough to run this app and I have the board doing nothing. It freed up a NUC for another project. Just looking at the output from the web page or the Android smartphone app, things are going fine, but looking at the logs, I see a constant stream of errors that I question. I'll paste one below. Seems to happen every time the Stoker is polled.

Not sure if I have a firmware that is not compatible with StokerWeb Server. I have 2.7.0.332. my Stoker is a White one with no WiFi. I know the firmware is a little advanced because it has WiFi options that's are meaningless to my Stoker.

11:07:52,198 ERROR StokerFile:224 - IOException writing to output file: [Ljava.lang.StackTraceElement;@1dd1ef3
Feb 08, 2016 11:07:52 AM com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus dispatch
SEVERE: Could not dispatch event: com.gbak.sweb.server.events.DataPointEvent[source=com.gbak.sweb.server.monitors.stoker.StokerPitMonitor@152f6aa] to handler [wrapper public void com.gbak.sweb.server.log.file.StokerFile.handleDataPointEvent(com.gbak.sweb.server.events.DataPointEvent)]
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor14.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventHandler.handleEvent(EventHandler.java:69)
at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventHandler.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventHandler.java:45)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:317)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:300)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:268)
at com.gbak.sweb.server.data.telnet.StokerTelnetController.addDataPoint(StokerTelnetController.java:476)
at com.gbak.sweb.server.data.telnet.StokerTelnetController.streamReader(StokerTelnetController.java:430)
at com.gbak.sweb.server.data.telnet.StokerTelnetController.access$1(StokerTelnetController.java:330)
at com.gbak.sweb.server.data.telnet.StokerTelnetController$1.run(StokerTelnetController.java:178)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.gbak.sweb.server.log.file.StokerFile.handleDataPointEvent(StokerFile.java:230)
... 12 more

not sure anyone is still working with Stoker-web for development, but I still use it when cooking. I recently converted my server to a Pandaboard (TI OMAP4 ARM) because it's fast enough to run this app and I have the board doing nothing. It freed up a NUC for another project. Just looking at the output from the web page or the Android smartphone app, things are going fine, but looking at the logs, I see a constant stream of errors that I question. I'll paste one below. Seems to happen every time the Stoker is polled.

Not sure if I have a firmware that is not compatible with StokerWeb Server. I have 2.7.0.332. my Stoker is a White one with no WiFi. I know the firmware is a little advanced because it has WiFi options that's are meaningless to my Stoker.

So I've been playing with this all day (advantages of being retired) and I've come to this conclusion:

1. My firmware version does indeed work fine.

2. The error can be eliminated by deleting the current cook and creating a new one, even though it's the same setup.

After doing that I received minimal dialog in the log files.

Jim A

For anyone that still uses the stoker-web Android app. I have an updated version that runs on Android Pie and Q, but its functionality is limited. If you would like to try it please, PM me or email me at the address in the play store. I would have to add you as an alpha tester.

Given that Stoker has gone out of business, I'm thinking there's no reason for this thread to be sticky anymore.

Comments, thoughts?

Chris, I would recommend taking down all three pins for the Stoker and create one pin titled "Legacy Stoker ATC Threads," with links to all Stoker-related threads or something like that.

Sorry for the late reply.

Last edited:
With the Stoker gone, I've discontinued all development and support on the web and Android apps. Since then Google has removed the Stoker-web Android app from the play store for some non-conformance with some new policy.

I've had a few requests to open-source the Android app so adventurous users can continue to use it. So here it is...

The master branch is the code of the production app, it is old, even pre gradle scripts old. There are other branches with newer project versions, but they were never completed. Getting this to compile and run on newer tool sets may be a challenge, good luck!

I'd agree to unpin the thread and let it fall into history.

Back