New stoker-web

Feels like it's been forever, but I've started to complete the changes I dropped months ago. I spent the entire night on Monday trying to remember what I had done and almost decided to scrap it all. On Tuesday I decided to plug in the Guava EventBus (by Google) for my Event handling and it made the code much simpler. With the Guice addition added back when, the changes are taking shape.

Surprisingly, with little effort, the program started and connected to the stoker. I still have some unimplemented code for the config change screen, this is the code I was dreading writing months ago, but it's time to bite the bullet.

Gary,

Appreciate all the hard work. It sounds like you have the same issue I do with some of my databases I use at work. There is always a better idea out there. I just wish I could be more help!

Work has slowed my progress once again. Didn't have any time to look at it the past month. I have spent a few days on it now and have made significant progress. The Guice changes are all in and working and I'm now burning time trying to get the browser to reflow the highcharts graph correctly. At the current time it will resize larger, but no go back down.

When all is done, stoker-web will support multiple cookers, fan-less cookers (not fully), dynamic probe renames and will have the graphical probe configuration.

Not quite ready for a release yet, but made a lot of progress.

* Browser graph reflow finally working
* The probe names can now be updated on the fly, file log(s) will log the new name and continue. Adding a new series to the graph, I've still yet to do.
* Cooker can be defined with little as a single probe, fan no longer required.

Been toying with the idea of replacing the gauge with a highcharts version, but that will have to wait: http://jsfiddle.net/crabboy/wRnwg/1/
This will remove the Internet accessibility required to use the gauges.

I was going to check-in my development code so anyone technical enough could check it out, compile and build it could try it out, but there seems to be problems with Google code preventing large check-ins. http://code.google.com/p/support/issues/detail?id=28389

New release for stoker-web Beta 0.3.0 finally up. I finally got my latest changes stabilized and figured it was a good time to release them for testing. There was more functionality I wanted to add to this version, but I can get that added within the next few weeks. I had been sitting on changes since March and finally got some good time the past few weeks to get them working.

See the Release notes for details:
http://code.google.com/p/stoker-web/wiki/ReleaseNotes

Download:
http://code.google.com/p/stoker-web/downloads/list

I'll be updating documentation over the next few days.

A change I've been wanting since day one is now complete and I'm testing it out. If the stoker goes offline for more than 30 minutes, the program will go into a hibernate mode, stopping all logs and running events, the cooker display on the browser will also disappear. Once in hibernate mode, it will look for the stoker every 15 minutes, if one is found, it will come back to life and start a new default log and graph. Times are defaults and can be overridden.

In offline mode, the login will still be available and reports on past cooks can be generated.

This feature allows me to keep stoker-web running 24/7 on my web server, turn the stoker on and off as needed and never had to start or stop stoker-web.

This will likely be in the 0.3.1 release maybe at the end of the week.

Also will be fixes for not being able to end a log and the color indicator not changing correctly.

I have not had a chance to use this and I have a question on the alarms. If you are viewing from a remote computer, will you have audible alarms on the remote computer? I've been using Stokerlog and I just put my laptop by my bed at night and it will wake me up if anything goes wrong. I really like the idea of setting this up on my home server so it can always be on and then just connecting with my laptop when I want to monitor it, but for overnight cooks the audible alarm is a great feature to have.

Thanks,

Gary, this is great work. I can't wait til you get the timeout feature released as this is one I am really looking forward to.

Hi Paul,

Yes, any browser that is connected and receiving data will sound an alarm when triggered by the server. The alarm settings are global, so if you set an alarm on the browser in your office, any and all browsers connected will receive that alarm. I plan to revisit the alarms soon to improve the functionality a bit. Currently, the alarm will sound every few minutes while the alarm condition exists, until the condition goes away or the alarm is cancelled. I'd like to add a snooze option with a select-able number of minutes, similar to a meeting request in Outlook, so it will be easier to silence alarm conditions that you are aware of.

I also can't say that I've tested the alarms since the server-side overhaul, so be sure to run a test before any mission critical cooks...

I'm planning a brisket this weekend, and I'll be using beta 3 for the first time on a cook. I'll test the alarms out before this weekend.

Thanks Bob. The code is complete and has been tested to a fair degree. Google Code has made some changes to address this Issue and has finally allowed me to check in my code. Once I get my branches merged and check that in I'll build the package. Should be within the next few days.

I appears that stoker-web no longer works on the the newer versions of Firefox on Android. The native Android browser loads the page, but does not update the temps. I've put some new features on hold to get the android working.

Have you tried it with any other Android browsers, such as Dolphin? If I had it running I'd test it for you, but I haven't had a chance to get it going. In general I find Dolphin to be one of the better browsers on Android.

Thanks,

So far so good with 0.3.3. I do see a few issues that need to be fixed, added issue to project, but It's running well.

Some live action on a brisket today if you'd like to see: stokerweb

Getting an error when running addUser.jar

Any ideas?

Enter username: nordy
Enter password:
Retype password:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sweb/server/log/Loggi
ngConfigurator
at sweb.server.security.admin.AddUser.addLoginAndPass(AddUser.java:37)
at sweb.server.security.admin.AddUser.main(AddUser.java:64)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sweb.server.log.LoggingConfigurator

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
... 2 more

C:\Temp\stokerweb-0.3.3>

I'm starting to put together an OpenVZ virtual machine container, anyone interested? BTW, I'm fairly good w/ Web Services, AJAX and Java

Interesting idea. I've thought of creating some package that included jetty to remove some of those complications, but I think you're idea takes it a step further. I think configuring a VM host may be quite a step for some though.

I am open to help help you can offer. I've got a bunch of features I'd like to add, but can only work on one at a time.

Back