New Spirit Igniter Not Working

Katie Frost

Hi all, I just bought a new little two burner Spirit from Ace Hardware here on St. Simons Island. They delivered it assembled. I used it tonight and the igniter did not click nor ignite. I risked life and limb igniting with a little Bic lighter as it was all I had. The grill was great once it fired up.

There is a long chain and a thin metal "poker" still in plastic near the igniter innards. Thoughts? Thank you.
--Katie

Hi all, I just bought a new little two burner Spirit from Ace Hardware here on St. Simons Island. They delivered it assembled. I used it tonight and the igniter did not click nor ignite. I risked life and limb igniting with a little Bic lighter as it was all I had. The grill was great once it fired up.

There is a long chain and a thin metal "poker" still in plastic near the igniter innards. Thoughts? Thank you.
--Katie
Long chain is to put a match to light it. Check to see if battery is in correctly. Flip the battery and try again. Call ACE if that does not work as it is a new grill and it should start right up;-)

Ah...long chain mystery solved. Thank you. I will look into the battery. How do I find it? Sorry to be so clueless, but my husband was the Weber guy and he unfortunately passed away last year.

Sorry for your loss.

I assume you don’t hear a clicking sound when you press the ignition?

The battery could be under the ignition button or it might be in a module inside the cabinet

If you can post a picture of the grill someone will be able to tell you where it is.

It's not a good idea to stick your arm into the firebox while lighting the burners. If all you have is a bic lighter, use it to light something longer like a candle. Then use the lit candle to light the grill. Alternatively, light a small piece of paper and drop it into the burner area, then turn on the gas. There's also the chain thing that can be used if you have some matches.

Well a solenoid is an electromechanical device. My guess is he had it confused with something else

Back