New Smoker Here - Plenty of questions (and pics of my find CL find!)

Drew Baker

I bought a used 18.5 WSM on craigslist, and cleaned it a little over the weekend. I didn’t completely scour it so it’s like new, but I wanted some of the thick buildup off, especially on the lid. You can see the before and after pics below.

Sorry that I have a lot of questions, but I truly am a newbie. But, I have already scoured this site reading about recipes, tips, etc.

A few questions:
1. When I cleaned the thing, I used some soft scrub on the lid. Didn’t think about the fact that maybe it shouldn’t be in there until I was done. I rinsed it down with a hose really good, but Should I do one “test run” this week to burn out anything that shouldn’t be in there, or am I good?

2. I planned to do 4 butts with my first smoke - should I cut it down to 2 or something to make sure I don’t screw it up my first time around?

3. If I’m doing 4 butts, that means 2 on bottom rack. How do you “get to” the bottom rack during smoking? If you want to mop the butts or test for internal temp, do you open the access door (looks like it would be hard reach trying to do those things) or pick up the top grate and set it aside?

4. Should I buy a separate thermometer to use instead of the lid one? Seems that I’ve read on this site often that the lid thermometer doesn’t always read great, is that wrong? And, given it was used, I have no idea knowing if it’s getting the temps right. If so, what one should I buy?

5. Good tips for making pulling the pork an easy job? What tool do you use?

6. With Mr. Brown’s rub, if I’m worried that it will be too “peppery” for my children, could I just half the amount of pepper and give it a try? if anyone has another great rub recipe that isn’t to spicey, I’d be interested.

Thanks for all of your help. You all have been invaluable as I’ve been researching getting into smoking.

BEFORE
Lid-Before.jpg

Mid-Before.jpg

AFTER
NewLidGrates.jpg

CleanedWSM.jpg

Looks good Drew! Those slide up side tables look like a custom job: Nice!
As far as your Q's
#1 Lid looks shiny clean, a good rinse is fine.
#2 If your gonna do one ya might as well do two. Fours fine, but that's two grates,and as long as you feel comfortable using both grates than certainly go for it.
#3 Yep, pick it up and set it on a table covered with foil,newspaper or a sheet pan. ( I set it on the OTG grate)
#4 I'm a top-venter. A 6" turkey fryer therm clipped into the top vent costs about $8.00 from HD or Lowes.
#5 I separate the obvious pcs with two forks, let it cool for a bit than use nylon gloves to pull by hand.
#6 I never tried the MB so no help on that.
HTH and welcome to the board!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

2) I find four pork butts one of the easiest cooks I do on my 18.5; usually in the 8.5-9.5# range. Load them up cold, toss in a full lit chimney, all vents open and off she goes.

3) I set mine on my Performer top grate, or set my Weber chimney starter on the ground and then place the rack on top of it.

4) Same as timothy, I slip a fryer therm in the top vent.

5) Bear Paws come in handy if you are doing them frequently. Click Here

That is one nice lookin smoker. I really like the idea of the side tables. Drew the guy you bought the smoker from is he a member here.

1. You're good.

2. If you want to do 4 do 4. With either 2 or 4 plan for a long cook. Give yourself plenty of time so you won't make yourself crazy.

3. Mopping is not necessary. Neither is checking internal temp. But in either case, should you decide to do one or the other, you can simply remove the lid, lift off the top grate with its butts to a side table, mop or temp the butts on the lower , replace the top grate, mop or temp, replace the lid: done.

4. I temp at the lid vent as well. I use a therm designed for this - but I'm with the others: a simple turkey or metal candy therm works just fine.

5. Nothing but a fork and a knife myself.

6. Yes, you can cut the pepper. I find Mr. Brown's rather uninteresting, even as written, but start with something. This one is simple, easy to make less spicy (just change the hot NM pepper to a mild chile like ancho, but has lots more flavor since it does not rely on paprika (virtually flavorless when cooked in dry heat over time) nor dry mustard (which needs liquid to activate its flavor - but heat then destroys it), and contains aromatics, spices and herbs to add interest to the bark. No mop necessary. (I never bother with mopping butts.)

First off, good job saving that WSM! It looks awesome!

1. I wouldn’t think you need to do a test run as long as you have rinsed everything out real good!

2. Four butts is A LOT of meat… Hopefully you are going to have a bunch of people over to help eat it!! I agree with what has been said before; if you want to cook four, cook four!

3. You don’t need to mop the butts during the smoke. (I never have) As far as checking internal temps, if they are the same size butts the temps should be the same.

4. You have received some good advice on thermometer. I for one have bought a Maverick ET-732. It has two probes; one for the pit and one for the meat. If this is your first overnight smoke I can almost guarantee that you will not get any sleep. The Maverick has alarms that you can set which help take most of the guess work out of an overnight smoke.

5. I typically use two forks or my hands to pull the pork. It isn’t as hard as you are probably thinking so don’t sweat it!

6. If you’re worried about your kids, maybe rub one of the butts with something that isn’t as spicy and rub the other three with Mr. Brown!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Back