New Smoker from Indianapolis!!

AngelFallon

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum as well as smoking! Actually I will not even have my smoker until tomorrow but I've been a fan of BBQ my whole life! :) I have been making plans on what I want to smoke on my first weekend .. I am pretty sure I want to try a brisket and we just happened to have bought a whole turkey last weekend that has been thawing so I am considering trying to smoke that and seeing how it comes out, any tips on smoking a whole turkey?

Since I ordered my smoker I've been focusing on finding a good source of wood. I'd like to start out with oak and then maybe branch out after I get the hang of things. But I don't want to spend a ton of money on shipping wood chips/chunks from online sources so I started looking for firewood suppliers on Craigslist. I found some people that advertise having oak and at $60-80 a rick I can feel good about the price. It's just a matter of finding a good supplier that will not give me junk mixed in that I do not want. Anyone have any tips on where I could look?

Thanks for having me!

Welcome Angel. Check with your local apple orchards to see if they'll give you some of their trimmings. My SIL heats with wood and gets a face cord of hardwood for $80. It's mostly red oak with some sugar maple mixed in so I steal the oak from her.

Thanks Ill check it all out for sure!

I just checked out Franklins videos on youtube and he appears to use just wood for his smoking but it appears that most people around here seem to use mostly charcoal with a few pieces of wood for the smoke .. would it be better (flavor-wise) to use all wood? Why do people use charcoal, is it just because its easier/burns longer?

Thanks Ill check it all out for sure!

I just checked out Franklins videos on youtube and he appears to use just wood for his smoking but it appears that most people around here seem to use mostly charcoal with a few pieces of wood for the smoke .. would it be better (flavor-wise) to use all wood? Why do people use charcoal, is it just because its easier/burns longer?

Post your question here. You will get more views and replies. :)
http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?69-Barbecuing

Back