New Searwood pic.

If it’s slanted that would direct grease a certain direction, maybe they have some trough or something to catch and direct grease.

If it’s slanted that would direct grease a certain direction, maybe they have some trough or something to catch and direct grease.
It’s just going to run down the front and back of the larger V bar. If it’s angled, it’s only going to divert slight more heat to the high side. It would have little effect on grease management.

Last edited:
Good video, personally don't see the need to upgrade my Smokefire to this, based on that unless I really wanted the rotisserie function. Cleaning isn't much fun with a pellet grill, but even with the pull out tray there is still scraping involved same as the Smokefire.

I've got a Spirit Crafted frame (as well as GBS Inserts) that fits the EX4, had to buy crafted grates for it though. I assume the Searwood comes with the Crafted Grates at least, even if it doesn't come with the frame? and not a seperate purchase like it is for the Smokefire 2nd Gen, disappointed if they're doing the same thing and extra purchases are needed to be able to use the Crafted set up on it

Got the tables for the Smokefire and these look neater on the Searwood but same functionality by the looks of it.

One flavourizer is easier to clean I suppose but pretty sure a 36 inch one is going to be quite difficult to clean and manouvre in the sink compared to the smaller Smokefire ones

I haven't seen it in operation, but I find it hard to believe it will maintain a constant heat temp with the lid open, my Smokefire fluctuates and I can't see how the Searwood wouldn't suffer with that also in the winter at least, however good they say the PID is on this.

If I was in the market for a first time Weber Pellet Grill then it is worth buying this over the Smokefire, not worth the upgrade for me yet, till my Smokefire dies a death

Last edited:
Don't know about cleaning this obviously as marketing makes it look like a "no brainer". Maybe it is, maybe not. But, in re to 2 comments above. First, I can't know what people owning this or a SF go through to clean, but I know cleaning on my 2 is about as easy as cleaning a grill can get. If I REALLY go crazy TRYING to do more, I MIGHT spend 20-30 min TOPS. Otherwise my routine cleaning is all of maybe 5-10 min. Wrapping up the vacuum hose and cord takes longer than the work.
Second, re lower deflector being slanted making one side hotter than other. Totally untrue. Both of mine are VERY VERY even side to side and front to back. If that idea was true then no pellet grill ever would work correctly or well and they would have never taken off as they have.
Two grills, 2 different sizes from 2 companies. Both EASY to clean and about as dead even as anything can cook.
Also, in watching both videos the main deflector does look slanted slightly to my eyes. But, again we'll see once we actually see one in the flesh

Don't know about cleaning this obviously as marketing makes it look like a "no brainer". Maybe it is, maybe not. But, in re to 2 comments above. First, I can't know what people owning this or a SF go through to clean, but I know cleaning on my 2 is about as easy as cleaning a grill can get. If I REALLY go crazy TRYING to do more, I MIGHT spend 20-30 min TOPS. Otherwise my routine cleaning is all of maybe 5-10 min. Wrapping up the vacuum hose and cord takes longer than the work.
Second, re lower deflector being slanted making one side hotter than other. Totally untrue. Both of mine are VERY VERY even side to side and front to back. If that idea was true then no pellet grill ever would work correctly or well and they would have never taken off as they have.
Two grills, 2 different sizes from 2 companies. Both EASY to clean and about as dead even as anything can cook.
Also, in watching both videos the main deflector does look slanted slightly to my eyes. But, again we'll see once we actually see one in the flesh
On my SmokeFire I purchased a custom top grate that allows you to pack it on! I put trays under most cooks and clean up is a breeze. The grate was highly recommended by the great Lew Newby 🙏🏻

I do the same. I simply put a low rimmed sheet pan under my food. . Makes "cleanup" even faster as I simply toss an old paper towel in it after removing, then toss the 1/2 sheet pan into dishwasher. Or I will use the disposable pans. They simply get dropped into the recycling bin after 2 or 3 uses. I'll do this on especially fatty cooks. (pork shoulder, brisket, or a couple nights ago on some prime rib bones I bought AKA beef back ribs. They work great. Nice and handy. But, even if I don't use them. Quick scrape of the deflector is all I need, if/when needed, change out the disposable foil pan in the grease trap, 5 min vacuum, and I'm smokin' again.

I do the same. I simply put a low rimmed sheet pan under my food. . Makes "cleanup" even faster as I simply toss an old paper towel in it after removing, then toss the 1/2 sheet pan into dishwasher. Or I will use the disposable pans. They simply get dropped into the recycling bin after 2 or 3 uses. I'll do this on especially fatty cooks. (pork shoulder, brisket, or a couple nights ago on some prime rib bones I bought AKA beef back ribs. They work great. Nice and handy. But, even if I don't use them. Quick scrape of the deflector is all I need, if/when needed, change out the disposable foil pan in the grease trap, 5 min vacuum, and I'm smokin' again.
Do you think the pans affect the smoke flavor any?

Do you think the pans affect the smoke flavor any?
Nah, if I thought for one minute they did I would not use them. FWIW, I only use something large enough to be under the cook. I don't cover the lower rack. What I typically use is (IIRC), 1/2 or 1/4 sheet pan. I buy them in multi packs at Costco or Sam's. Once they get too grody for me to bother with I toss them and buy new ones. They're aluminum so I simply toss them into the recycler. They don't bother the air flow or anything. When I am doing something requiring to be finished on high heat (well higher heat), I simply pull it out, crank the grill and let it rip. Not because they change the heat but so I don't have all those drippings "burning". And once the first stage is done the heavier "dripping" is done as well.

Assuming then you have looked at one? As in the videos I would not stake a bet on it. And flat or slanted all that matter is "does it work". Though quite honestly, my impression is it "should" be slanted otherwise I can see it becoming a headache. But, again, going off my "intuition" and how it "appears" in the pics and video. Final verdict to come once we see one in person.

Assuming then you have looked at one? As in the videos I would not stake a bet on it. And flat or slanted all that matter is "does it work". Though quite honestly, my impression is it "should" be slanted otherwise I can see it becoming a headache. But, again, going off my "intuition" and how it "appears" in the pics and video. Final verdict to come once we see one in person.
Yea, I've got one about 15 feet from my desk that I went and checked out before posting my comment.

I work on the charcoal product team, so I can't speak personally on the matter as I haven't been involved in the product development, but I know our R&D, Pellet Product Management, QA, and Culinary teams have been working extremely hard on the Searwood and I'd be pretty shocked if they didn't make proper grease flow/management one of the core goals of the project.

Attachments

• Searwood FB right.jpg
    Searwood FB right.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Searwood FB left.jpg
    Searwood FB left.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 7
Yea, I've got one about 15 feet from my desk that I went and checked out before posting my comment.

I work on the charcoal product team, so I can't speak personally on the matter as I haven't been involved in the product development, but I know our R&D, Pellet Product Management, QA, and Culinary teams have been working extremely hard on the Searwood and I'd be pretty shocked if they didn't make proper grease flow/management one of the core goals of the project.
John, with the one large flavorizer you can no longer put a drip pan / water pan under greasy items like port butts or briskets, correct? How would that grease be handled as to not overwhelm that small aluminum grease pan collector? Could you ask the R&D team?

So, that is obviously a marketing video, but if the claims are true, I may be testing out Costco's return policy on my Traeger Redland, and finally selling my Genesis that has been in the garage. I really WANT a one grill solution, and from what I had heard, the smokefire has been the closest you can get, but could also had some pretty big issues. The searwood seems to work a lot of these out, at least in theory, and I can't wait to see firsthand reviews. Hope it lives up to the hype.

John, with the one large flavorizer you can no longer put a drip pan / water pan under greasy items like port butts or briskets, correct? How would that grease be handled as to not overwhelm that small aluminum grease pan collector? Could you ask the R&D team?
I spoke with one of our culinary experts, who's probably cooked on Searwood more than almost anyone here at HQ, and he said a grease/drip pan hasn't been necessary, the grease management system is very "robust" and there haven't been issues with excessive grease build up or flare ups, provided you are properly cleaning/maintaining the grill between cooks.

It does look at least promising that Weber learned a lot of hard lessons from the unfortunate launch of the SmokeFire. In spite of their efforts and progress on improving it, nothing was going to salvage that name. So, I think they did the right thing by starting over.

If I owned a Searwood, I would fully expect that very regular cleaning would be a given. That seems acceptable to me.

Well, pretty cool IF it actually holds up in "real world" as you well know it was real world where SmokeFire kinda fell on it's face a little in many ways due to some of these same concerns

Back