New Roadside Find

1999 Genesis 3000 Rehab

Time to revive this thread. It was too cold in my workshop this winter so I'm finally getting to the restoration of the 1999 Genesis 3000 which is pictured on page one of this thread. I have sawn a few pieces of mahogany as a test to replace the original cedar (I'll need 30 slats total) and have started cleaning up the pieces. I was pleased to discover the manifold is in good shape as are the burners and crossover tube. I'll be disassembling the entire grill so I can paint the frame and will post pics as I go. I hope to have this finished for Memorial Day.

Mahogany Slats by L Baltz, on Flickr

IMG_2414 by L Baltz, on Flickr

IMG_2413 by L Baltz, on Flickr

IMG_1250 by L Baltz, on Flickr

IMG_1252 by L Baltz, on Flickr

IMG_1263 by L Baltz, on Flickr

IMG_1268 by L Baltz, on Flickr

Last edited:
I finally finished this project and reclaimed the space in my garage. I hope the next one doesn't take 18 months!

The right hand grate arrived damaged and I've since replaced it and seasoned it. I'm pleased with the cast iron after a few trial runs but it was cheap and I may try RC Planebuyers stainless in the near future.

The grill cover I grabbed on Amazon and I'm very pleased with the quality and the price. Search for: "UNICOOK Heavy Duty Waterproof Barbecue Gas Grill Cover, 60-inch BBQ Cover" It was only $23!

IMG_2182 by L Baltz, on Flickr

IMG_2186 by L Baltz, on Flickr

IMG_2188 by L Baltz, on Flickr

With Cover by L Baltz, on Flickr

Last edited:
Now that it is done, you are going to thoroughly enjoy that grill for many years. It looks great with the wood.

Thanks for coming back to update the build thread.

Thanks all for the compliments. I will admit I'm pretty happy with this one.

I am just getting a feel for the difference between this and the Genesis Silver B I was using previously. The additional row of flavorizer bars seem to make it seem a little more stable.

Grilling by L Baltz, on Flickr

Back