New Restore - red head stainless performer.

Garth C

TVWBB Super Fan
EE 1999 Weber redhead with no dents. Picked up under 100 on craiglist. I have two stainless performers now, also have a DD green one fully restored.

Cleaning: Washed, used carbon off, and scraped interior and did a high heat burn off before I started taking her apart. I had never seen any grill with this much carbon. It had layers upon layers. I got it down to bare ceramic coating around edges where any food would touch above the grate, so was happy to leave it there.

Fixed:
- Rusted connecting tube nuts inside the tube had been pushed in, so purchased a longer stainless bolt and it attached pretty good.
- Cleaned up best I could older style sweeper and ash catcher assembly. I was rusted but work so I left it alone instead of replacing like i wanted since i'd have to purchase both at the same time(ash catcher and sweeper).
- Surface rust under stainless table scraped, neutralized and painted in spots.
- Propane tube is in great condition, ignition sparker cleaned good and still works fine, but deciding to convert to 1lb propane regulator soon. Already tested the gas rubber tubes and they work just fine.
- Scraped all the rust off the wheel axle. This was the quite a project
- replaced broken/cracked wheels with newer ones. The casters do not roll, but they are solid and hold the grill up just fine.
- purchased smoke n sear stainless grates.
Future: Convert to 1lb propane regulator.

PXL_20220317_020912923.jpg

PXL_20220317_021118777.jpg

PXL_20220312_203240818.jpgPXL_20220312_204842421.jpg

PXL_20220316_201636597.jpg
PXL_20220312_205735482.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220317_021125650.jpg
    PXL_20220317_021125650.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 14
nice job, and a hell of a score for only $100!
thanks, it's a huge leap to almost 2k to get a properly made square tube cart and stainless table top from weber now. The only way I'd get rid of one of my two performer is if can find a weber kamado with cart cheap.

Great job. You put so much work into, buy some casters. They are $10 each. It is nice to have a grill that rolls around;-) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WEKMRU/?tag=tvwb-20
On my green performer i did replace both as the tube was rusted out and needed repair. I find myself rarely using them since weber either by design or by accident extended the tube frame where it's easier to just pickup and move like a wheelbarrow.

On my green performer i did replace both as the tube was rusted out and needed repair. I find myself rarely using them since weber either by design or by accident extended the tube frame where it's easier to just pickup and move like a wheelbarrow.
If you change your mind, since you have the inserts already, here's a pair of casters for less than $10

If you change your mind, since you have the inserts already, here's a pair of casters for less than $10

I have purchased about 3 sets of those. I either have to grind the bottom of the head of the stem or replace the stem with the old one to get them to go all the way in. The original wheels have sort of a mushroom shape top and these have more of a squarish shape. Do you experience the same?

I have purchased about 3 sets of those. I either have to grind the bottom of the head of the stem or replace the stem with the old one to get them to go all the way in. The original wheels have sort of a mushroom shape top and these have more of a squarish shape. Do you experience the same?
I've only bought one set so far. The stem fit into the existing frame insert without any issue.

The grill was not level, and I added one or two washer to raise the LH side a little to level it out.

This was on a 2002 Silver B frame.

Back