New Q2200 owner with Griddle question

Ed, I had a regulator on it that was advertised as a low pressure regulator for grills. I ignored several reviews saying it ran hot. I put it on a Q200 and forgot to turn off the gas one night after I left it on to clean the grates. By the next day, the bolts on the grill that attach to the stand had sunk down about 3/4" into the plastic. I could not even get screwdriver on them any longer and had to basically break the stand off the grill.
The Q200 would get well over 600 and even on low was hard to keep under 400.
Whew! That could have been so much worse!

Bruce, you gotta force yourself to learn to start doing the burn-off during the pre-heat. It saves a lot of propane that way. A New Year is coming up, good time to make a resolution, maybe even ask Santa for a fire extinguisher while you're at it.

Did the Q get warped at all?

Yep, I spotted that thread early on. I only skimmed through it, but remembered to slowly open it to avoid latching the safety valve.. This adapter hose is a buddy heater brand and supposedly doesn't have the oil problem, but I'll install the filter I have between the hose and the grill anyway just for an added guard against that.

thanks,
Ian
Some people go as far as to order a stainless steel braided hose for safety...I've not heard of a filter being used, but why not.

They call it a propane fuel filter, but it's really just a hollow can. Any oil that comes out of the hose collects in the can before reaching the regulator.

Propane Fuel Filter
I had two tanks that I had to dispose of when OPD devices were mandated. For them to be collected, they had to be empty. After using up all the propane, I thought I could feel something sloshing around in the bottom of one of them, so I turned it upside down and opened the valve. Gah! How that stuff stinks! It took a couple of days for the smell to go away.

Whew! That could have been so much worse!

Bruce, you gotta force yourself to learn to start doing the burn-off during the pre-heat. It saves a lot of propane that way. A New Year is coming up, good time to make a resolution, maybe even ask Santa for a fire extinguisher while you're at it.

Did the Q get warped at all?
Ed, since I got the stainless grates for my Q200, I don't really bother doing a burn off very often any more.

I did post some photos of the grill showing how it had sunk down at the mounting points. I can't find them any more... I may not have even saved them.

Here, I found one of them: https://tvwbb.com/threads/q2200-searing-temp.87541/#post-978154

Thanks so much, Bruce! Anything that can broaden our understanding of what these Qs can and can't do is most helpful. The heads of the mounting screws may be a good indicator of how hot the grill is becoming and something to monitor when using a full griddle.

I had two tanks that I had to dispose of when OPD devices were mandated. For them to be collected, they had to be empty. After using up all the propane, I thought I could feel something sloshing around in the bottom of one of them, so I turned it upside down and opened the valve. Gah! How that stuff stinks! It took a couple of days for the smell to go away.
Ed, you can take those old style tanks to most tank exchange outfits and they take them and give you a full OPD updated tank in return. I have done it 7 or 8 times at Walmart exchanges.

.... and allow me to close out this thread with this. My co-workers are enablers and conspired to perform Jedi mind tricks on me by sending me Black Friday deals and constantly talking about the following. I am innocent(ish).

PXL_20211112_192827471.jpg

Nice resolution to this thread, it was certainly a direction I thought to recommend.

I'm still kind of baffled by this thread a bit. My Q1200 has never had any problems getting up to very high temperature. If anything, the knock on it is trying to cook with lower temps. I put the griddle on, fire up the burner on high, and give it about 10 minutes to come up to temp and never ever have any problems.

If you look earlier in the thread where all the math and physics is discussed, the 1000 series has more btus per sq inch than the 2000 series. You can probably write it off to the blatherings and inexperienced expectations of the OP (me).

Back