New Q2200 owner with Griddle question

Yah, be very careful with that regulator. It is designed for much higher BTU devices than a Q grill.

Well, guess I better fess up... after using this for a few more days, I have decided to go ahead and do the adjustable regulator mod. Even on high, though it reaches a nice temperature during preheat, and does considerably better than it did before, it still doesn't hold the temp as well as I would like. I have the adapter and a 0-5lb adjustable regulator on the way. I'm keeping the old regulator in case I want to revert to the stock setup.
W-o-o-o-o-o boy are you gonna have fun! I assume you mean 0-5PSI regulator? Working pressure on these is 11"WC, which is about 0.4PSI. It's going to be touchy getting it down to an usable pressure before you blow the flame away from the burner. And I've always wondered how these little Qs end up with the sides so bowed the grates won't stay up...now I know.

With the cast iron dedicated griddle and the 3200 I got to about 700°. Post links to the regulator you are buying and make sure to post some install / first use photos. I have a Q200 and would be interested.
Thanks
Is that hot enough for breakfast for 6? Trying to establish a target temp here.

Last edited:
Is that hot enough for breakfast for 6? What's the goal here? It took my daughter's Q320 about 15-20 minutes to get to 625deg. without a griddle, measured using the thermometer on the lid (not calibrated so no idea as to accuracy).
No idea about breakfast as I do that in a carbon steel fry pan on the range. I was trying to perfect my smash burgers.

How did it work for smash burgers?
Quite good. But then I replaced the Q with the Broilmaster and found a the Blue Rhino folding griddle. I like not having to pull the grates or and flavorizers (on the Napoleon) to use a griddle which you basically have to do to get flame to griddle to really make it work.

Quite good. But then I replaced the Q with the Broilmaster and found a the Blue Rhino folding griddle. I like not having to pull the grates or and flavorizers (on the Napoleon) to use a griddle which you basically have to do to get flame to griddle to really make it work.
But let's do this. How many square inches is that Blue Rhino griddle In total? I see that the Broilmaster P3 is 20k per side, so both sides running, yes?

Ian, try filling just half your griddle with smash burgers and then flipping them to the other hot half. While you are eating those let the griddle heat up again and repeat. The Q2000 does not heat up as hot as the Q1200 and Q3200 so it might not have the umph to recover after cooking on one area. I find I have to do this using the regular grates when searing a steak as well.

The Q2000 does not heat up as hot as the Q1200 and Q3200
Q1200 = 189 sq.in. cooking area, 8.5k burner, 8500/189 = 45BTU/sq.in
Q2200 = 280 sq.in., 12k burner, 12,000/280 = 43BTU/sq.in.
Q3200 = 468 sq.in., 21.7k burner, 21,700/468 = 46BTU/sq.in.

Larger grill = larger surface area for heat loss. The Q1200 is the hot rod of the 3.

By comparison, the BM P3 is 695sq.in., 40k burners, 40,000/695 = 58BTU/sq.in.
Weber Genesis 1/2/3/4/5 = 507sq.in., 35k burner, 35,000/507 = 69BTU/sq.in.
Weber Genesis Silver B/C = 507sq.in., 48k burner, 48,000/507 = 95BTU/sq.in.

For Ian to get 58BTU/sq.in. out of a Q2200, he would need a 16k burner, or about 33% more oomph.

Last edited:
I am sure your numbers are right Ed. All I know is that I have a Q120, Q220 and Q3200 and the Q220 is noticeably cooler that the other two, which correlates to your figures.

I am sure your numbers are right Ed. All I know is that I have a Q120, Q220 and Q3200 and the Q220 is noticeably cooler that the other two, which correlates to your figures.
I've noticed that same thing, too. I thought the Q200 I had was pretty anemic and I was looking for a way to account for it...that was the easiest way (for me, anyway!) to compare the performance of the different Qs.

When all that gas got into that small a space than he would have been featured in one of those Darwin Videos we see on YouTube.

Back