New Q2200 owner with Griddle question

I agree with Bruce. With the constant heating and cooling it is not if, it is when the porcelain cracks. With uncoated CI it can be brought back to life with a little work. I think the whole in the middle would bother me also.

On a 320 Weber recommends only one half be a griddle, be interesting to see how this works out.

Yah, there is probably an over heating concern and Weber is putting out the disclaimer for legal reasons. Just like on commercials for drugs and supplements when they tell you "Don't use this product if you are allergic to it".

From what I understand the reason Weber says not to use 2 full griddle halves at the same time is the risk of accumulated propane in the cook box. This one you got has that cutout in the middle and I'm going to assume that's there for the same reason.

There is also about 1/4" of perimeter gap between the edge of the griddle and the grill body and then the round gaps at either end. Gotta have a place for the exhaust to exit the grill. The grease hole is directly above the hole in the bottom of the grill, so you can run the grease there without making a total mess of the inside of the grill or getting grease on the burner.

I fried some bacon and eggs on it today and it's a success. It was in the low 50s and breezy and the griddle was measuring 380-400 deg on a med-high setting with the lid open. I did lose an egg down that grease hole. I ordered a set of griddle rings to corral the eggs so they don't run because of my slightly unlevel table. The eggs did not stick, and it was the first time it's been cooked on. I just sprayed some pam on the griddle and went for it. No pics. Wish I had a video of that egg disappearing down the hole. LOL

Thanks for the write up. I thought that hole would be a problem. I tried the "little griddle" on my grill and I kept loosing stuff in the front grease recess. Luckily was easy to retrieve. I then went a bought a used stand alone griddle.

It is a compromise. Not as good as a dedicated griddle, but a good alternative if you already have a Q and don't want another appliance.

I would not discount it at all. It will serve you well. Eggs are what, about 7 or 8 cents each. No big deal if one gets away.

Nah, probably get the whole dozen for 7 cents back then. Maybe two dozen.
Well, you know, it depends on the egg.

Well, guess I better fess up... after using this for a few more days, I have decided to go ahead and do the adjustable regulator mod. Even on high, though it reaches a nice temperature during preheat, and does considerably better than it did before, it still doesn't hold the temp as well as I would like. I have the adapter and a 0-5lb adjustable regulator on the way. I'm keeping the old regulator in case I want to revert to the stock setup.

Last edited:
Well, guess I better fess up... after using this for a few more days, I have decided to go ahead and do the adjustable regulator mod. Even on high, though it reaches a nice temperature on during preheat, and does considerably better than it did before, it still doesn't hold the temp as well as I would like. I have the adapter and a 0-5lb adjustable regulator on the way. I'm keeping the old regulator in case I want to revert to the stock setup.
With the cast iron dedicated griddle and the 3200 I got to about 700°. Post links to the regulator you are buying and make sure to post some install / first use photos. I have a Q200 and would be interested.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210515_185440.jpg
    20210515_185440.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1

Back