New Q1200 enameled two piece grate. Improvement or?

RD Hauch

TVWBB Member
I am thinking about buying a 2014 model Q1200. I noticed that the new models have an enamel or porcelain coated two piece grate rather that the old one piece black Cast iron grate. Do you think that the new style grate will be an improvement in performance? Will it be easier to clean? I've used various CI grates but never a coated one before.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00RFXS1Z6/tvwb-20

I thought that the grill was small enough just to keep it a one piece. I guess you can always purchase the one piece if you want for it.

I think the two piece grills in the smaller models came in when the model numbers added the last zero (1200 and 2200).

Are the new models (1200/2200) the same size as the older Q120/Q220? Can we purchase the newer grates to fit the old Q220? I would love a griddle.

Are the new models (1200/2200) the same size as the older Q120/Q220? Can we purchase the newer grates to fit the old Q220? I would love a griddle.

Walt; weber sells a #6504 griddle that fits the q100/120. I have one that we use a couple times a month and am very happy with it. It probably has more total surface area than the split grate.

The 1200 and 100, 120 have the same iron grittle. The only difference is the lid with one being taller then the other from 100 to 120

1000/1200 - newer two piece grate, has a griddle that replaces the grate on one side only. I bet the larger #6504 griddle that just sits on top of the grate would work fine.

100/120 - older style single piece grate.

Thanks Everyone for the tip on the #6504. I have the old Q220 and it looks like the #6504 will be small and fit inside it. I like that the griddle doesn't use the whole area so the grate can be used for sausages or something else.

Are there other griddles folks would recommend for a Q220?

the new 2 piece grate for the 220 size grills will not work on the older models. the casting on the new models supports the two pieces while the older model does not support
the 2 piece grate. I checked this out loooong ago. I suppose some mods can be done but I don't need it that much.

I have an older Q100. I'd like to get the right side griddle accessory. It sounds like it can sit on top of my original 1 piece grill grate but the lid may not close well. I also see that Weber offers a split grill grate option that I think will fit the Q100. Can I use the left side grill grate and the right side griddle together?

As long as the split set of grates comes with a set of "brackets" you should be fine. The older Q100 grills were not made to be able to use the split grates, but most suppliers of the split grates include the brackets. Genuine weber grates do and most, but not all aftermarket sets do as well.

Saw some aftermarket ones on Amazon for half the price of Weber. Are they decent quality? I also just discovered that my Lodge 10.5 in. dia. round skillet fits under the lid closed with the handle sticking out the side vent. Might try that for some burgers...

Back