New Pork Rub Recipe Help

BWalker

TVWBB Member
Hey there folks. I'm going to be smoking a pork butt this weekend (about my 10th or so) and am looking to alter my go-to recipe. I have a great chipotle/coffee/brown sugar based rub I've been using but after watching all the Franklin BBQ vids on Youtube I want to try and simplify things a bit. I don't have my ratios down for the new rub but think it may go something like this:

2 parts Brown Sugar
2 parts Salt
1 parts Black Pepper
1 part Paprika
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1 part chipotle

Thoughts on the ratios/mix of spices? Any help/advice would be great. Cheers!

I'd replace the paprika with ancho powder. IMO paprika adds little or no flavour once it's cooked. Try 1/2 part rubbed celery seed. For a special treat replace the brown sugar with maple sugar if you can get your hands on it, I would suggest this more for ribs than a butt.

Is it common to use salt and sugar in equal amounts on Pork? When I do that it tastes very salty to me. I have gone with a 3 parts sugar to one part salt.

Is it common to use salt and sugar in equal amounts on Pork? When I do that it tastes very salty to me. I have gone with a 3 parts sugar to one part salt.

I thought the same, for me that rub would be way too salty. I'd use about 3-4 parts sugar to 1 part salt, but then again I don't particularly like salty food. It's all subjective really.

I got this off bbq pit boys and love it. 1/4 cup paprika,1/8 cup ground black pepper, 2 table spoons garlic powder, 2 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, 1/4 cup course salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar. Even amounts of salt and sugar but it doesnt taste to salty at all. Its about the same as yours.

Last edited:
Rub I have used for years came from alton brown. 8 parts brown sugar, 3 parts salt, 1 part chili powder, and 1 part whatever you want. Has not let me down yet. I use it on butts, chicken, ribs, and mix it with butter to put in my corn in the cob.

Simple... Yellow mustard, black pepper and sea salt. I use this when I'm out of other ingredients. Don't know why I don't do it more often because it turns out great. Just used this on my pulled pork I did yesterday and will be doing this on my baby backs today. Picks of my pulled pork are in the kettle section.

Danny, Alton Brown has also always talked about the 8+3+1+1 of rubs. 8 parts brown sugar, 3 parts salt, 1 part chili powder and 1 part a mix of whatever you feel. If you like it more spicy, then istead of 1 part chili powder use 1/2 and 1/2 chili and chipotle powder to equal one part.

Back