New Perfromer grill... Did I make a mistake?

ChrisV

TVWBB Fan
At my request, my family recently bought me a new Performer grill (non-gas model) but I haven't used it yet. Partly because the weather and our schedules hasn't really cooperated and partly because I have been second guessing that decision? Background...

I've mostly been a gas grill guy all these years but bought a SJS last year when my old gas grill died as sort of an interim solution until I could decide what to get next? I also figured I could using it for camping and it would be nice to have some charcoal cooked food for a change. I really wanting to start making some BBQ (mostly ribs and maybe some Brisket) so I wanted something that could do double duty (Grill and Smoke). I was seriously leaning towards a BGE (is that a bad word around here? ;)) but couldn't justify the cost and decided a Weber kettle would meet my needs and budget better.

After looking at the different Weber models, I decided on the Performer model because I thought it offered a lot of nice upgrades (particularly the side table) for not much more $ over the OTG model ($160 vs $220 around here). I decided against the gas fired version of the Performer because it seemed kind of gimmicky and not worth the premium over the standard performer ($220 vs $350) and I wasn't crazy about the additional hole in the bowl (especially with an eye towards using it for low and slow BBQ'ing). I have noticed though that most people on this site go for the gas version and seem very happy with it? Apparently its great for starting a chimney (which is something I hadn't considered).

Anyway, here are the main things that have me second guessing myself...
1. I have since learned about the Mini WSM and am in the process of making my own. It will be a pretty inexpensive solution because I already have an SJS and the rest of the stuff I need will be fairly inexpensive. From what I've read they work great and I like that fact that when it's not in use I can put it away and still use the SJS as a regular grill. Size wise I think it will be fine as I have a small family and don't entertain much.

2. If I use the Mini WSM for all of my smoking needs then I would only be using the Performer for grilling. In that capacity it is both bigger then I need and less convenient then a gas grill. For standard grilling I'd rather just use a gas grill with the thought that I will still have the SJS for those times where I just have to have that charcoal flavor.

3. I did a lot of looking around at gas grills when my old one died and I have to say I'm not really impressed with what's out there these days. IMO the quality vs. price ratio isn't there with most models these days but this site does have me seriously looking at the Weber Q line. They are not high end but they seems to have a pretty good quality + performance/price ratio and size wise they are fine for my needs.

So now I'm thinking a Weber Q + my SJS/Mini WSM is all I really need? The problem is, I've waited too long to return the Performer so it's either deal with it or sell it on Craigslist at a loss? I'm guessing a lot of you might be inclined to say keep it AND get a Weber Q but I think if I did that, the Performer would almost never get used and I don't really have any interest in having a grill collection or hanging on to stuff I don't use or need.

So I guess my really long winded question is this... Sell the the Performer and get a Q or live with it and hope I start to appreciate grilling on it as much as I do a gas grill?

Thanks

I don't think you made a mistake at all. The mini wsm is pretty cool. I've done all kinds of smoking on it when camping and around the house.

However, you can also smoke on the Performer by using foil to cover 1/3 of the charcoal grate, building a fire on the side without the foil banking the coal up using a charcoal rails or bricks, and placing your food on the grill grate opposite the fire (indirect). You make have to tend the fire more than a dedicated smoker but it is VERY doable. This makes doing a full rack of ribs nice.

As far a grilling: I prefer charcoal so I don't even consider gas an option -- but that's just me. The gas starter is pretty cook by a chimney and a starter cube works just fine.

As a long time gas griller myself, I understand the love and convenience of gas. I own multiple Weber grills and my sig line is waaaay out of date. lol
Since you asked opinions, here's mine on your topics...

1) I also built a rockin' WSM and use it quite a bit. Just did an 8 pound butt yesterday for a group of people to rave reviews. I love smoking chicken pieces on the mini, removing the pot and placing the cooking grate on the bowl, and placing the chicken (skin side down) for some direct grilling to crisp the skin. The mini is a really nice option to have and not one to disregard.

2) Where I think you made the 'mistake' is picking the non-gas assist performer. I, too, used to say charcoal gave better flavor - but the extra time & inconvenience wasn't worth the effort. Once I got the gas-assist performer, I realized how wrong I was. Example - there isn't much of a time difference between getting my gasser or performer up to temp. Open the lid, dump in charcoal, hit the gas button, go prep the food. Pretty much the same steps (minus dumping the charcoal) I've always done for the gasser. When I toss the food on the Performer (chicken, steak, pork chops, burgers, etc) I'll also toss a handful of wood chips into the charcoal for awesome smoke flavor. Truly does make a flavorful difference. By the time dinner is done & cleaned up, the grill is snuffed out and cool enough to cover. I've been pleasantly surprised by all of the above.

I still have, and love, my gasser. But I've only used it for grilling veggies in the cast iron skillet because the performer was full of meat. :D I'm also going to toss a full rack of spare ribs on the performer tomorrow as 1) I don't wanna fire up the WSM and 2) don't want to cut the rack to fit onto the mini. Using the gasser for ribs ain't an option. lol I love the side burner of the gas grill for starting the charcoal chimney though.

3) I agree with you on today's gas grill prices not exactly a value bargain. Pick up a used Genesis from Craigslist, clean it up, and add a few pieces (flavorizer bars, cooking grates, etc) and you'll have a grill for years to come. I have a Q100 that I use as a tailgate grill. It does fine for that task. Even if I had a Q300 series, there's no way I'd ever have that as my everyday go-to gas grill instead of a Genesis. For me, the Q series shouldn't even be on your radar. Actually, I've seen Q series w/ the stand on CL in the Free section. Keep on eye on CL and you might get lucky. On the other hand, you'll take a beating selling your NIB Perfomer on there. Might as well use it and see if you like it. A used one vs. NIB won't net you much of a difference.

If something drastic happened and wiped out everything I have, here's how I'd replace them.
(And remember, I've been a long time gas griller)

1) Gas assist Performer
2) Mini-WSM
3) 22.5" WSM
4) Genesis gas grill

At my request, my family recently bought me a new Performer grill (non-gas model) but I haven't used it yet. Partly because the weather and our schedules hasn't really cooperated and partly because I have been second guessing that decision? Background...

I've mostly been a gas grill guy all these years but bought a SJS last year when my old gas grill died as sort of an interim solution until I could decide what to get next? I also figured I could using it for camping and it would be nice to have some charcoal cooked food for a change. I really wanting to start making some BBQ (mostly ribs and maybe some Brisket) so I wanted something that could do double duty (Grill and Smoke). I was seriously leaning towards a BGE (is that a bad word around here? ;)) but couldn't justify the cost and decided a Weber kettle would meet my needs and budget better.

After looking at the different Weber models, I decided on the Performer model because I thought it offered a lot of nice upgrades (particularly the side table) for not much more $ over the OTG model ($160 vs $220 around here). I decided against the gas fired version of the Performer because it seemed kind of gimmicky and not worth the premium over the standard performer ($220 vs $350) and I wasn't crazy about the additional hole in the bowl (especially with an eye towards using it for low and slow BBQ'ing). I have noticed though that most people on this site go for the gas version and seem very happy with it? Apparently its great for starting a chimney (which is something I hadn't considered).

Anyway, here are the main things that have me second guessing myself...
1. I have since learned about the Mini WSM and am in the process of making my own. It will be a pretty inexpensive solution because I already have an SJS and the rest of the stuff I need will be fairly inexpensive. From what I've read they work great and I like that fact that when it's not in use I can put it away and still use the SJS as a regular grill. Size wise I think it will be fine as I have a small family and don't entertain much.

2. If I use the Mini WSM for all of my smoking needs then I would only be using the Performer for grilling. In that capacity it is both bigger then I need and less convenient then a gas grill. For standard grilling I'd rather just use a gas grill with the thought that I will still have the SJS for those times where I just have to have that charcoal flavor.

3. I did a lot of looking around at gas grills when my old one died and I have to say I'm not really impressed with what's out there these days. IMO the quality vs. price ratio isn't there with most models these days but this site does have me seriously looking at the Weber Q line. They are not high end but they seems to have a pretty good quality + performance/price ratio and size wise they are fine for my needs.

So now I'm thinking a Weber Q + my SJS/Mini WSM is all I really need? The problem is, I've waited too long to return the Performer so it's either deal with it or sell it on Craigslist at a loss? I'm guessing a lot of you might be inclined to say keep it AND get a Weber Q but I think if I did that, the Performer would almost never get used and I don't really have any interest in having a grill collection or hanging on to stuff I don't use or need.

So I guess my really long winded question is this... Sell the the Performer and get a Q or live with it and hope I start to appreciate grilling on it as much as I do a gas grill?

Thanks

I bought my son-in-law and daughter the gas assisted version as a gift. I felt that it offered a nice easy way to get the charcoal going as they are a busy couple, and anything to help would be appreciated. Since that time, I bought a OTP and gave away my gaser. The one thing I did do was buy a charcoal chimney starter. With my setup, I'm ready to cook faster than my kids with the performer and usually faster than I could heat up my gaser. I've discovered a Weber Kettle, any variant, with a chimney starter is one of the most versatile combination cookers available. Yes I do have a WSM, but the OTP is the workhorse and the WSM is used only for smoking large things or quantities. Nope. You didn't make a mistake.

Since I got mt OTS my gasser has been relegated to hamburg and hot dog cooks when kids are over. I can start it and have it ready to go almost or just as fast as my gasser. Nope you didn't make a mistake.

Thanks for the opinions so far...

Where I think you made the 'mistake' is picking the non-gas assist performer.

I doubt I would do it but I am curious, is it possible to convert my current grill into a gas-assist version? I assume all the parts I would need are probably available but I'm not sure how much it would cost or how much trouble it would be to retrofit it?

I would really encourage you to spend some time online and look at some of the various cooking possibilities that Weber kettles offer before you give up on the Performer. If you get a chimney starter and some cube starters, they will make your charcoal experience much better. It is pretty obvious that you feel very comfortable using gas. There is nothing wrong with that. I use both gas and charcoal for grilling and like both. The biggest thing that the Weber kettles offer is the ability to quickly build and control multi-temperature zone fires. The larger gas grills can do that also, but the Q grill is very limited in this regard. As you said yourself, nothing does you any good if it just sits around unused. Whatever you decide, get out there and enjoy cooking with it often.

I doubt I would do it but I am curious, is it possible to convert my current grill into a gas-assist version? I assume all the parts I would need are probably available but I'm not sure how much it would cost or how much trouble it would be to retrofit it?

I have seen this discussed numerous times and the consensus is that it it really not practical. I really love the gas assisted starting, but it is not a show-stopper to me. What you will learn to really appreciate is the work table and the overall height of the grill.

is it possible to convert my current grill into a gas-assist version?

Anything is possible, but is the modification worth the effort & cost? Personally, I wouldn't do it.
You need an oblong shaped hole for the gas tube, the gas tube/regulator/hose assembly, igniter, etc...
As Don said, other people came to the really not practical conclustion

If you get a chimney starter and some cube starters, they will make your charcoal experience much better.
I already have a chimney but use newspaper to start it. It's really not the starting I have issue with. Sure it takes a little longer but the issue I have is, if I'm just cooking some dogs or burgers, I'm generally done long before the coals are. Sure I can close the vents and save the remaining charcoal but it's just kind of a pain compared to gas. Factoring that in with the longer start times just makes it a little worse.

Anything is possible, but is the modification worth the effort & cost? Personally, I wouldn't do it.
You need an oblong shaped hole for the gas tube, the gas tube/regulator/hose assembly, igniter, etc...
As Don said, other people came to the really not practical conclustion
Pretty much what I figured. I wasn't seriously thinking about it, just curious. Thanks

buy the rotisserie attachment for your performer and you'll never think about trading it in again...
That is a serious possibility? I had a rotisserie attachment for my gas grill and loved making leg of lamb on it. I'm sure adding a little smoke to it would make it that much better. I still have the motor and spit so I may only need the "ring" to use it on my kettle?

The other thing I miss about my old grill is the cast iron grates. I love cast iron and going from that to steel wire grates is a little bit of a disappointment. I am aware of the craycorts which look nice but I want to make sure the Performer is going to stick around before investing more money into it.

All that said, what really drew me to the Weber kettles is its flexibility. Direct/indirect. Low and slow or hot and fast, etc. and all that is still true. I already have it and can't return it so I might as well try it for a while and see if it grows on me. Now I just need the weather to cooperate!

Thanks everybody!

If you value convenience over the improved taste of radiant heat cooking (charcoal will get much hotter than any gas grill and produce a better tasting product), then I'd stick with gas. When we're talking hotdogs, I don't know that gas v charcoal makes any difference, but with just about everything else I prefer the flavor of charcoal. That said, gas is more convenient. To each his own.

I already have a chimney but use newspaper to start it. It's really not the starting I have issue with. Sure it takes a little longer but the issue I have is, if I'm just cooking some dogs or burgers, I'm generally done long before the coals are. Sure I can close the vents and save the remaining charcoal but it's just kind of a pain compared to gas. Factoring that in with the longer start times just makes it a little worse.

Close the vents down and reuse the charcoal. Next time dump the used charcoal in your chimney, fill to the top with fresh coals, and light. When you first start cooking on the grill it may take a little while to shut it down, but that will get better with more cooks. After I cook I shut my grill down, go eat dinner, come out and it's usually ready to throw the cover on.

Also try the weber starter cubes or some oiled paper towels instead of newspaper. Prevents that whole paper ash flying everywhere issue.

Without the whole in the bowl it would be a pain to add the gas assist. If you haven't opened the box maybe you could exchange your NIB performer and just pay the difference for gas assist ? It really does make something easy even easier. I walk out, dump the previous day's coals in the chimney, top off with fresh, click light and go back to prep.

Even if you are only cooking hamburgers / hot dogs, there is still some prep time involved. My chimney is usually ready to go in 10-15 minutes. If I am done prepping before then it leaves you a nice window to crack a beer, and "tend" the grill.

i think you will find that they all have their place. stop second guessing and start enjoying them all. i do, its a fun journey.
but if i could only have 1 grill or whatever it would be a kettle of one sort or the other.

My Performer is the best grill ever, I like gas assist but I could just as easily get by with starter cubes for my chimney.Keep it and get it greasy.

I have a WSM22 and a Performer with gas assist. If it did not have gas assist, I don't think I would care. You get a better flavor with charcoal and the Performer will last forever. I just got the WSM 4 months ago so until then we did a lot on the Performer and still will. Our Christmas or Thanksgiving turkey's come out great and if for that reason alone, I would keep it. My wife says that they are some of the best turkey's we have ever had and we have been married for 36 years. Before the Performer we did turkey's and leg of lamb and many other things on a regular Weber 22 inch kettle. You can't beat them. I have tried different brands of gassers over the years and they all fail. I would like to get a Weber gasser from craigs list to rehab. That would be fun. KEEP THE PERFORMER. GOOD LUCK!!

I bought my son-in-law and daughter the gas assisted version as a gift. I felt that it offered a nice easy way to get the charcoal going as they are a busy couple, and anything to help would be appreciated. Since that time, I bought a OTP and gave away my gaser. The one thing I did do was buy a charcoal chimney starter. With my setup, I'm ready to cook faster than my kids with the performer and usually faster than I could heat up my gaser. I've discovered a Weber Kettle, any variant, with a chimney starter is one of the most versatile combination cookers available. Yes I do have a WSM, but the OTP is the workhorse and the WSM is used only for smoking large things or quantities. Nope. You didn't make a mistake.

I am going to agree completely with this. You didnt make a mistake at all. Spend some time here reading about what people are doing with their performers and you will find there arent many limits, especially considering you are not making huge amounts of food. The learning curve isnt really that bad either. Just takes a little practice.

I know people love the gas assist but I am with Barry, I prefer to use a chimney. I just feel it is a really versitile option. A lot of time I am cooking indirect or even smoking and I just want a small amount of lit coal on top of unlit. So I light 1/4 chimney. If I wanted a hot fire I would just light a full chimney. It's nice to have the chimney for the small grill too. Everyone has a preference, none are wrong.

If it were me, I would keep what you have and cook with it. After a while, if you feel you still want to have a gasser around, go get one. It sounds like a collection but you would just have the little one for camping and picnics, the performer and a gasser. Although once you get used to the performer, you may not worry about getting a gasser. That's what I did. I got rid of my old gasser with the idea that I would replace it. So, I started cooking more on my kettle and now I dont see any use for the gasser. Like Barry, I'm ready to cook just as fast.

Dont sweat it. You will love the performer. I am the king of second guessing my purchases so I know where you are coming from but you are fine on this one. Keep it out of the weather and you will have it the rest of your life. That is a great $220 investment.

Back