New Performer Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Winston

Just got a new Performer Grill and the lid does not seem to fit as tight on the kettle as on my old one-touch. Following my first cook I closed all the vents and it seemed to take much longer for the coals to go out than on the one-touch. I went by the Home Depot where I purchased the Performer and checked the fit on the lid on the display model. It too was a very loose fit. Has anyone else had this problem on a new Performer or maybe it is not a problem at all? I did take the lid from the new Performer and try it on the old one-touch and it is a tight fit. Tried the old lid from the one-touch on the Performer and it is loose. Not sure if the problem is the kettle on the Performer or if the lid is just not going go be as tight. Thanks for any assistance.

It's hard to say without seeing first hand. I would guess that after a few cooks and everything gets gunked up a little you will find it fits like your old kettle
icon_smile.gif

you may check to see if the lid is out of round with a tape measure. My OTG had an incident with a thunderstorm and the lid was ever so slightly bent. I tweaked it back to fit better than it did before.

I'm bettin on the gunk theory. A few cooks, a little gunk and you'll have a nice air-tight seal between the bowl and the lid.

Pat

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
I'm bettin on the gunk theory. A few cooks, a little gunk and you'll have a nice air-tight seal between the bowl and the lid.

I agree, My kettle was the same way...now its very snug....cook, cook, and cook on it some more...gets better w/ age.

Yeah, I'll go along with the lid gunk theory myself.
Perhaps even the Lids have to be seasoned with a few good solid Q-ing sessions.

Cheers
Davo

Gunk theory is fine until you clean it. My lid has a little float in it but is generally a positive fit. I don't get smoke coming out from it.
The best check for the lid air-tightness is to light it up have the bottom vents fully open put a few handfulls of chips on and get them really smoking. Put the lid on and close the top vent all bar about 1/4" check the area where the lid and the base meet for uneven smoke flow. Turn the performer 90 degrees and check again, repeat for all four sides. If you have a big leak it will show up. If it is out of round it will show up in that particular spot all the time.

Note - you will get some leakage of smoke from the join but not free flowing.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I just did my second cook on the Performer and this time when I closed all the vents the coals went out much faster than on the first cook. Not much smoke leaking between top and bottom during cook.

I have had a WSM for about a year and love it. I debated about purchasing the Performer to replace my old kettle and after two cooks I just wish I had got it sooner. Using the gas to light the charcoal makes things so easy and having the table is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back