New old stock Summit Charcoal

Was lucky to come into a new-in-box Summit Charcoal at an unbelievable price. Just assembled and very pleased with the quality of the grill and excited to get to cooking on it. I had a couple questions for members who have either this or a Kamado.

1.) How much charcoal should I expect to need for a normal cook? I have a performer and WSM 18, but I have read the Summit is much more efficient with fuel. I know I can shut the vents and save coals for next time but I generally like to avoid lighting more than I need.

2.) The literature mentioned a free cookbook with registering, is Weber still offering that?

3.) If you have them, how often do you find yourself using your performer or WSM now that you have the Summit? My wife has started to notice the accumulation of grills and I'd like to thin out what I can. I like the performer for the prep table and familiarity of the kettle, but I'm less attached to the WSM. I also have a pair of Genesis 1000s and a Genesis II for gas grilling.
Tom, where did you buy it from?

I recommend you place heavy duty foil under your grate on the charcoal grate (when the grate is in the upper position). This way you’ll keep the gunk out of your grill and you can toss the used foil every 3-4 cooks.
I'm not sure I understand where you are putting the foil? Starting at the top, you have the food grate, then the charcoal grate at the upper position, then under that you put the foil? Like down in the bowl? Or do you have 2 charcoal grates, one upper and one lower and put the foil on the lower grate when you have charcoal on the upper grate?

I'm not sure I understand where you are putting the foil? Starting at the top, you have the food grate, then the charcoal grate at the upper position, then under that you put the foil? Like down in the bowl? Or do you have 2 charcoal grates, one upper and one lower and put the foil on the lower grate when you have charcoal on the upper grate?
See this pic:

1689025239885.jpeg

Charcoal rack at the upper position (yes i do own two charcoal grates as it makes things easier for me).

The CBs are in a center circle setup, and the heavy duty foil is laying on the same rack all around the CBs.

This method keeps 90+% of the junk out of the grill. I’ll get 3-4 cooks with this foil before I roll it up and toss it.

Charcoal rack at the upper position (yes i do own two charcoal grates as it makes things easier for me).

The CBs are in a center circle setup, and the heavy duty foil is laying on the same rack all around the CBs.

This method keeps 90+% of the junk out of the grill. I’ll get 3-4 cooks with this foil before I roll it up and toss it.

Thank you! A picture is worth 1000 words!

I didn't get a recipe book, requested one and got this same one. It is very nice actually. It was surprisingly large and well done, IMO.
Is that book specific to the summit charcoal/ Kamado?

General question to the gang- Are any other Weber books specific to the summit charcoal/ Kamado?

I recently bought the webers way to grill book and have just started to go through it, but no mention of Kamado grills from what I see.

Is that book specific to the summit charcoal/ Kamado?

General question to the gang- Are any other Weber books specific to the summit charcoal/ Kamado?

I recently bought the webers way to grill book and have just started to go through it, but no mention of Kamado grills from what I see.
No it's not specific to any type of grill, but they obviously show many different Weber products in the book.

No it's not specific to any type of grill, but they obviously show many different Weber products in the book.
I looked at the publication date of the “way to grill” and it was 2008, so no way it would include the Weber “Kamado”.

I did get the Weber book that was offered as a promotion for registering the Summit Charcoal, and as a novice griller find it useful.

I can’t help feeling Weber really missed the mark by not promoting the Summit Charcoal/ Kamado more.

It seems like their most versatile charcoal grill, and based on what people spend money on these days, it’s not a stretch to think with slick marketing, they would be king of Kamado grills if they put some effort into it, even at the current pricing structure.

Ok, rant over.

Somewhere I read “it’s the griller and not the grill” if you want excellent BBQ;) In addition to this excellent Weber Forum; We generally have to make-do with what we have in our BBQ Arsenal and our wallet. With that said that WSK is sure a great looking cooker.

Attachments

• 47DFEA65-7FAE-4ADD-995E-7FD8344741BF.jpeg
    47DFEA65-7FAE-4ADD-995E-7FD8344741BF.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Somewhere I read “it’s the griller and not the grill” if you want excellent BBQ;) In addition to this excellent Weber Forum; We generally have to make-do with what we have in our BBQ Arsenal and our wallet. With that said that WSK is sure a great looking cooker.
The S6 would look amazing in your backyard. Nice property you have there.

‘The distance between the coal grate and the cooking grate is smaller on the E6. I like it better.
Are you suggesting that the there are differences in the Summit charcoal line in the cooker itself? I was not aware of any, so if this is the case, I'd like to learn more if you (or anyone else here) can point me to any information on this. I recently bought an E6 Summit Kamado myself and thought they were all the same minus the form factor.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that the there are differences in the Summit charcoal line in the cooker itself? I was not aware of any, so if this is the case, I'd like to learn more if you (or anyone else here) can point me to any information on this. I recently bought an E6 Summit Kamado myself and thought they were all the same minus the form factor.
WSK and WSC are identical cookers. the differences are: deflector plate, gas assist, cart and wheels. the WSK is a slightly less "built" unit than the WSC was. Imperceptible to a user, IMO. all other internal cooker measurements are the same from my prior research (before i bought a WSK).

I believe he was comparing to a Smokey Mountain.

The Summit and Kamado are identical bowls, the only differences are found in the “trimmings” on the carts

WSK and WSC are identical cookers. the differences are: deflector plate, gas assist, cart and wheels. the WSK is a slightly less "built" unit than the WSC was. Imperceptible to a user, IMO. all other internal cooker measurements are the same from my prior research (before i bought a WSK).
Thanks, this was my impression as well.

On a side note, I noticed on my WSK there are predrilled holes on both sides that would appear to be ripe for adding side shelves. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? Has anyone done any custom mods of their own to add shelves? A couple side shelves on this bad boy would be a nice addition 😁

Back