New (non-Weber) Smoker?

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
I love the WSM and have all three sizes but recently I've been contemplating the Masterbuilt Gravity series simply for the ease of control (if you don't know, it has a controller like a pellet grill but runs off either lump or briquettes). It seems almost like the best of both worlds to me; the control convenience of a pellet grill but I still get to use charcoal like I prefer. However, I'm torn. Managing the first in the WSM is a big part of why I bought my first WSM around 12 years ago and I do still enjoy it, but there are times I want something I don't have to worry about. Normally my WSMs are set-it-and-forget-it, but the last few cooks I've been chasing temps and can't figure out why; my process hasn't changed at all but it seems like I'm either getting above or below my desired temp or, in the case of last cook, holding 300ish when I want around 250, even with all the bottom vents closed.

This chasing temps thing is new to me; it happened a bit when I first got my first WSM 12ish years ago but once I figured it out I was good, until recently. I think if I got the Masterbuilt I would use it about half the time and one of the WSMs the other half. In reading reviews of the Masterbuilt the things I don't like are the 1 year warranty and the fact you can't use it in the rain due to the controller unit (it seems most other pellet grill manufacturers, including Weber with the Smokefire, designed it such that it can be used in the rain, but not so with the Masterbuilt). But I do really like the thought of having a controllable unit for a little under $500. I suppose I could get a controller for the WSM for less money than a new Masterbuilt, but like I said I do like managing the fire on the WSM.

I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with the Masterbuilt Gravity series and could offer any insights. I know that obviously people on this forum will be heavily biased towards the WSM (and frankly I am too) but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone has used one. If I do get one it likely won't be until late August; that way hopefully Masterbuilt will release a new version that is designed to be used in the rain, and besides that it's an in-joke with my wife that I can only get new grills/smokers in late August around her birthday. The first two buys around late August happened by accident, but after it happened that way three times it's almost a given now I can't get a new grill unless it's late August.

Chris -- if you primarily want to get rid of the vent fiddling, I'd suggest you try an ATC. I'm two cooks into the Billows I got from Santa, but I really like how it has cleaned up my user experience with the WSM.

I like building the fire, and was able to do overnight cooks and control temps well without the ATC. But after learning the WSM, for me it was more annoying (not interesting) to spend the day thinking "hmmm, temps trending up a bit with the sun now hitting the cooker and the meat warming up, maybe I should go vents skewer open rather than pencil open..." With the Billows, so long as the WSM has charcoal, I know the cooker is running between +5 and -10 degrees of the target temp. And if I want to change the target temp, I change the setting in 5 seconds. Rather than spending 15-30 minutes to see if my new vent setting is hitting the target. My focus is the cook, not running the cooker. My expectation is that I will do more WSM cooks going forward, because the ATC frees up the cook day more.

The Masterbuilt intrigues me too. While you can get the ATC for your WSM, the MB Gravity promises other things -- very fast/easy start up for the charcoal, and good charcoal grilling in addition to good smoking. A charcoal fired pellet grill that you can use on Tuesday night for burgers and for ribs on Saturday. A candidate for the elusive one arrow quiver.

I really wish Weber had made the SmokeFire run on charcoal, since the build quality of the MB is off putting.

Last edited:
I have the 560. I like it and have no complaints about it. But I also have a variety of other cookers including WSM's, Kettles, Pellet smokers, a Santa Maria attachment, and gas. I enjoy all of them at varying times. I store the 560 (and most others) indoors and I have a wind and rain shield when using them.

Our nephew has the 1050 with rotisserie. Obviously with the way things are now all I can do is droll when he sends me pics.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

since the build quality of the MB is off putting.
if you primarily want to get rid of the vent fiddling, I'd suggest you try an ATC. I'm two cooks into the Billows I got from Santa, but I really like how it has cleaned up my user experience with the WSM.

I totally agree about the build quality, Jim; if the build quality were better I would no doubt be getting one of these, but that is worrisome to me. An ATC is an option for me to look into (like I said, late August is my time-frame for buying so I have plenty of time to look @ all the options and make a decision) but I really like the Masterbuilt over the ATC because, as you said, it can do grilling and such easily as well and the quick start-up would be nice. And I have to admit buying a whole new grill is, to me, a "cooler" way to spend the money vs. an ATC. I also run a youtube channel for WSM cooking and think a new smoker video would be fun to make. Not sure it'd be $500+ investment cool though; we'll see.

I have the 560. I like it and have no complaints about it. But I also have a variety of other cookers including WSM's, Kettles, Pellet smokers, a Santa Maria attachment, and gas. I enjoy all of them at varying times. I store the 560 (and most others) indoors and I have a wind and rain shield when using them.

B, it's good to know you have no complaints with it. Can you elaborate on the wind and rain shield? I think I may be misreading that part; I initially thought it was something for just the Masterbuilt but rereading it now I think it might be a break you use for all your cookers. Not being able to use the Masterbuilt in the rain is a huge deterrent for me. If I get one I will be storing mine outside (using the cover you can buy for it when I'm not cooking on it) as I have no room in the garage for it and our HOA doesn't allow outbuildings; leaving the controller exposed all the time (even with the cover on it) also has me worried. It will be stored right next to my house when not in use but I'm still worried about it being exposed to the elements. Do you think storing it covered outdoors would depreciate its life?

Thanks again everyone!

Leaving electronics outside 365 would concern me. Even if covered, does the cold mess with them? While my WSM lives outside, my remote thermometers (and now my Billows) are stored in the garage.

But I guess folks leave Traegers and SmokeFires out in the cold all winter. So no problem?

If there was a well-built MB Gravity or a charcoal SmokeFire, my gasser and WSM would be at risk of being Craigs-listed.

Can you elaborate on the wind and rain shield?
We have an unfinished walkout basement. This area has a 12'X12' slab and is directly underneath the main floor deck. To the deck frame, I attached corrugated metal panels for walls. Under the deck floor and joists, I built and attached an ~12X12 PVC frame and secured an equal size tarp with bungee cords. On my list, is to replace that tarp overhead shield with more corrugated panels. We live in the country and there are no neighbors who can see this.

I cannot speak to outdoor storage of the MB Gravity but here's an excerpt from the manual:

1609713281867.png

Back