New Model Larger WSM

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Some folks in the mid west have told me of rumors
a new larger WSM is in the works ???

Have not heard this around here in the florida panhandle.

Jim

Haven't heard that one and it would surprise me given Weber's reluctance to make changes in the WSM. For the sake of those who want one, I hope it works out but the size of this one is more than enough for me.

I was interested to see your reference to the Florida panhandle. I'm located near Pensacola and didn't know if there were others in this area of the State.

Paul

I'd give my first-born, er, cat for a larger WSM. I'd tried to have a local guy build me the "magnum," which is essentially a 22" weber kettle to water smoker conversion, but that project died when he was hit by a car while training for the MS-150. I might try to find another local shop that could do the welding/cutting for me, but a much better solution would be weber making an actual 22" WSM...just what I need, another smoker... ;-)

I guess if you bought a few weber rotisserie rings (you must be able to buy them as replacement parts, right?) you could weld 'em or otherwise fasten them together, since they fit fight on the 22 1/2 inch weber, and before long that thing would be a mile high and you'd have yourself a magnum.

Hmmmm......

Susan-

Yes, indeed, you can:

DigCam09102002%20055.jpg

RichG

Rich - did you have to buy those rotisserie units whole, or did you call and get replacement rings from Weber? That's an interesting idea...

I have ordered the ring separetly from Weber after asking them for suggestions on how to fit a larger turkey into the kettle for a Thanksgiving grill It was considerably less expensive than the full rotiss unit.

Paul

Rich,

Sweet!

Apart from the increased capacity, looks like the unit has some useful customizations.

What does the unit use for a water pan?

-Albert

Dwain-

Yes, as Paul mentions above, you can order the rings as "replacement" parts. I had one from my rotisserie, and just ordered one extra.

Albert-

I used a 20"x2" cake pan, and mostly used sand. I didn't want to mess with that amount of water, and as you can see, there's no access door to replenish, so sand was a bit easier.

All in all, this was an easy project which allowed me to continue to use my kettle for its intended (grilling) purpose, and to also use it as a large, vertical, water smoker. I did not have a WSM at the time, and converted my kettle for the cost of the ring ($30), and some hardware (about $15.)

If anyone would like a blow by blow of the demise of my kettle, I'm sure that Henry Joe or Rick Jones would be happy to jump in (HJ has some video.)

If you are interested in specifics about how I did this, feel free to ask here or send me a private message. FWIW, I got the idea from someone who used to post here (Webb Collings), and his version was much prettier than mine (read, he has more tools than me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Cheers,
Rich G.

Rich, I think your cooker is flat out awesome. I might make me one this spring or summer. I am getting my first WSM this weekend and I already have a few modification ideas in store for it.
DP

Dale-

Thanks, it was fun to do and helped me bridge a gap in time where I didn't have a WSM or access to my offset. You can probably figure out most of the details on your own (or come up with better ideas), but I'm happy to share with you what I did if you get into it this summer. FYI, one thing to note is that you should look at replacements for the aluminum legs. Two rings, 2-4 grates full of meat, and a cake pan full of sand are a bit more than the stock legs were built to handle (and you might guess have something to do with the ultimate fate of my modified kettle......)

Cheers,
R

Please go ahead and post how you went about your project, Rich, that might make a good summer project for me. It looks really promising!

Dwain-

I'll post an outline of what I did in the Kettle forum. Might not get to it 'til later today, but will get to it.....

R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back