New member with some inquiries

Nice find! As far as the lid goes I would swap it with an enamel one....a redhead or even a black, blue, or green one would look nice. I'm hoping the cabinet is not badly rusted as that is the weak point of that grill. If it is then converting it to an open cart would look nice as well.
It appears that some grease had spilled over from the drip trays onto the bottom of the cabinet which doesn't look great, but probably helps keep the rust away. I'll keep my eyes open for an enamel lid too.

Last edited:
Attempting to remove the firebox from the frame for transporting/cleaning:

I see a single bolt on the side opposite the burner control dials that needs to be removed. It appears to be the only one, but is quite rusted. I guess not a big deal if I break it as I should replace it with stainless anyways. I'm thinking the burners will need to be removed with the firebox, but do they slide off their "holders" (for lack of a better term) under the control dials or do they need to be unfastened?

Yes, you can just twist that bolt off and replace it. You will also want to remove the manifold from the cook box on the other side in order to get the burners out. Do not remove the screws on the left side of the cook box that hold down the ends of the burners. They are place holders and not intended to ever be removed.

Yes, you can just twist that bolt off and replace it. You will also want to remove the manifold from the cook box on the other side in order to get the burners out. Do not remove the screws on the left side of the cook box that hold down the ends of the burners. They are place holders and not intended to ever be removed.
Thank you. Regarding that single bolt, is the inside threaded portion fixed to the cook box or just a loose nut that has rusted itself to the cook box? I've been spraying it with PB Blaster and giving it some small tweaks with the socket wrench, but it doesn't want to budge without snapping.

Very common Brendan.
Here is how I typically remove those frozen cook box bolts. But one disclaimer: There is the chance of ruining your cook box using this method. I have never had a problem and have used this method on probably a dozen cook boxes, but there is the chance of cracking the cook box. Since I usually have spares laying around, it is not a total disaster if I ruin one.
So, with that being said, this is how I do it. At least it is my first choice.

Very common Brendan.
Here is how I typically remove those frozen cook box bolts. But one disclaimer: There is the chance of ruining your cook box using this method. I have never had a problem and have used this method on probably a dozen cook boxes, but there is the chance of cracking the cook box. Since I usually have spares laying around, it is not a total disaster if I ruin one.
So, with that being said, this is how I do it. At least it is my first choice.
Thank you for that. I was actually able to arrange another way to get it home so I don't NEED to remove the cook box from the frame now, but if I do decide to do a proper restoration, I may give your method a go.

So I finally got it home and did a quick burger cook and so far so good. This is my first big boy BBQ and I noticed that the grates are much lighter weight than I expected. They are cast iron right? Also, is there a third-party cover that is recommended to fit this particular model? I don't have much interest in spending $100+ just to buy one with a Weber logo on it.

Last edited:
So I finally got it home and did a quick burger cook and so far so good. This is my first big boy BBQ and I noticed that the grates are much lighter weight than I expected. They are cast iron right? Also, is there a third-party cover that is recommended to fit this particular model? I don't have much interest in spending $100+ just to buy one with a Weber logo on it.
I was trying to follow the trail of grills you were looking at. Could you post pictures of the grill and the grates? I am betting you have stamped stainless rather than cast iron.

I was trying to follow the trail of grills you were looking at. Could you post pictures of the grill and the grates? I am betting you have stamped stainless rather than cast iron.

Attachments

• IMG_20220901_173733519[1].jpg
    IMG_20220901_173733519[1].jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220901_173747697[1].jpg
    IMG_20220901_173747697[1].jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 12
Brandon,
Those are stamped stainless grates (on a Gold model I wouldn't expect stamped regular steel with porcelain coating). So, yes, they are pretty lightweight. Some people really like cooking with these, and others do not. They don't retain heat like cast iron or thick stainless, but if they are, in fact, stamped stainless, other than weld failures they will last you a long time.

As far as covers, of course there is the Weber version, which I once had and liked very much:

King Kong is a favorite of many users looking for a better deal but still a quality product. The only negative I have heard is that they are kind of rubbery:

Here's another one on Amazon that gets pretty good reviews and is even cheaper. It appears it may be more breathable fabric like the Weber OEM cover:

I like my stamped steel grills that I used for about 20 or so years on my silver B. If I needed / wanted a sear grate I'd put one on top but for most cooks they worked grate.

Brandon,
Those are stamped stainless grates (on a Gold model I wouldn't expect stamped regular steel with porcelain coating). So, yes, they are pretty lightweight. Some people really like cooking with these, and others do not. They don't retain heat like cast iron or thick stainless, but if they are, in fact, stamped stainless, other than weld failures they will last you a long time.

As far as covers, of course there is the Weber version, which I once had and liked very much:

King Kong is a favorite of many users looking for a better deal but still a quality product. The only negative I have heard is that they are kind of rubbery:

Here's another one on Amazon that gets pretty good reviews and is even cheaper. It appears it may be more breathable fabric like the Weber OEM cover:

Thanks for the info. There is one weld failure on the grates. I'm in Canada. The covers you recommended are considerably more expensive on amazon.ca even with the exchange rate factored in. Home Depot has a cover for $20 with lots of positive reviews, but the measurements are 70x24x47.5 so it would likely be contacting the ground. Still might be worth a try though.

Back