New member of my (Weber) family

Thanks. Did some wings, but the mod was a huge bust. The U bolts on the top grate interfered with the lid. I should have checked the fit before I started the cook. Anyway, I tried to adjust them, but they fell down. I'll post pics tomorrow. At least the food was saved.

Thanks. Did some wings, but the mod was a huge bust. The U bolts on the top grate interfered with the lid. I should have checked the fit before I started the cook. Anyway, I tried to adjust them, but they fell down. I'll post pics tomorrow. At least the food was saved.

Sorry to hear but like you said the food was saved.
If interested their is a Miguel cotto fight vs delvin rodrigues on hbo tonight

Here are pics of the U bolt mod that I did

The bolts didn't fit that well into the grate so I had to angle them

At this point I was happy with the mod. Then I started to cook and the lid wouldn't fit. I tried sliding the bolts in toward the middle a little and this is what happened.

They fell through

It's nothing a couple of washers can't fix.

Miguel;
If you buy two sets of u-bolts for each side, you can take the extra plate and nut and CLAMP the u-bolts to the grate. You can see that here:

I will shortly have three grates on my Mini-Joe but I will NOT put any handles on the top grate. I can easily get it out (it will only be down about 1/2" from the lip) and THAT is the grate I will use when I grill on the Smokey Joe so nothing interferes with the top.

Here's pictures of the modification done on my WSM (just used smaller u-bolts on the Mini):

FWIW
Dale53

Last edited:

Back