New Member, New Genesis 1000 Rehab

What do you guys think about painting knobs for rehabs. I am worried new owners won't be real careful with the knobs and the paint will chip or rub off and look pretty nasty. I can't really expect them to break out a sharpie for touch ups.

For little things like painting the knobs, and painting the the kettle on the logo, I would expect them
to look new for at least a year under any type of use. Left out, no cover, direct exposure to the sun
and rain. After that, all bets are off. We are reselling used grills here, not new. Anything else, burners,
igniters, hoses, or whatever, I would expect to last at least 2 years. I sell basically the same way I
would want to buy something used. If I know something may become a problem I fix it before I
would sell it or I point it out to the buyer. This happens a lot with kettles and smokers. If the
charcoal grate for instance is in rough shape but still usable. I tell them, hey, this will likely on last
a couple more years, so be ready to spend $12 for a new one.

What do you guys think about painting knobs for rehabs. I am worried new owners won't be real careful with the knobs and the paint will chip or rub off and look pretty nasty. I can't really expect them to break out a sharpie for touch ups.

I admit it is an issue since we really don’t know for sure how an even well-painted plastic part will hold up over a year or more. I plan to paint at least some of my Silver end piece tool holders and handles black instead of gray, maybe even some knobs. I will be sure to explain that to my buyers.

Since the weather is good for painting, I've been working on the smaller items indoors. Yesterday I removed the burners, manifold, and sprayed all of the nuts and bolts with Kroil Penetrating Oil. I spent the evening cleaning up burner tube of surface rust and clearing the burner ports.

iKnGGD2h.jpg

zicdzGth.jpg

My next step is to clean and paint the manifold. Should I leave the valves on the manifold and just tape them off and paint or remove them?

Just tape them off. However, I rarely bother to repaint the manifold on my rehab grills. They are hidden and it would likely take decades for the rust to ever be a real problem on them. I have repainted a couple that were particularly bad however.

Yah, I paint the manifold if they're really bad and tape the valves when I do. If not then I just wipe it down and carry on.

Just tape them off. However, I rarely bother to repaint the manifold on my rehab grills. They are hidden and it would likely take decades for the rust to ever be a real problem on them. I have repainted a couple that were particularly bad however.

Yea, I know what your saying, but since the weather isn't warm enough to paint the end caps, frame, and cook box, I have time to work on it. It's not terrible and even though it is hidden, it will probably bug me if I didn't. I'll just tape the valves and inlet fitting and paint away.

May as well do that while you have the time. I like doing stuff pretty completely when I can, so your desire to paint the manifold is surely understood by most here!

Those burner tubes look great. I did not think this was possible to do. So this was done using a rotary brush?

Thanks. I actually did it by hand using 1" wide strips of emery cloth off of a roll, dental pick to clean out any ports that were blocked or reduced due to rust, then a cleaning with stainless steel cleaner/polish. It was a messy, time consuming job but what else is there to do when it's 22 degrees outside. These burners where in in decent shape so your YMMV.

You can get the tubes looking nearly new with a cheap angle grinder and wire cup brush. I have done dozens of pairs and honestly, they will come cleaner and clear out the holes. You could also use a wire wheel in a drill but it would take longer.

Here is one of the Genesis 1000 grills I did last year with re-using the old tubes.

XwIYJfk.jpg

Back