New member and I am so happy to be here!

TateS

Hello all!

I'm Tate from FL and last week my wife totally caught me by surprise and got be an 18.5" WSM for my birthday. I 'm already a Weber lover between my Spirit for regular quick weeknight dinner grilling and little smokey joe that I've have a fun time using just for small stuff when I want to experiment with charcoal. But the WSM is a VERY welcome addition and I have always been interested in meat smoking so I can't wait to get started now that I have such a quality unit to work with. Super happy and excited to have found this community and I am looking forward to getting going soon!

My first question is what you all think a good first cook would be? My issue is that my wife doesn't eat red meat, and only eats pork sparingly. Since she was the one that gifted the WSM to me, I'd obviously love to include her in the spoils of the first cook! Would love any suggestions! Anything else a total newbie needs to know would also be appreciated!

Thank you all.

Welcome!!

Hot and fast chicken always breaks it in nicely. I did wings as my first cook but any chicken will do. Hot for crispy skin - so no water pan and flaming hot coals. All vents open.

Welcome, Tate. What a great birthday gift that will give back in spades for many, many years!!! (I always had to gift myself my own grills!) :)

Chris has it right with chicken. Hot/fast is a great option, as is low/slow if you want to also use it as practice for managing traditional smoking temps on the WSM. Our illustrious host has a bunch of poultry recipes HERE, which also include detailed instructions on setting up the WSM, and managing the temps with the vents.

Any way you go, that's a great plan to keep your wife happy/engaged. Smoked chicken is excellent, and any leftovers have lots of great uses (salad topper, chicken salad sandwich, tacos, enchiladas, etc.)

Enjoy the new toy!

Rich

I went with wings on my initial cook too. I just went with as hot as I could go and they took about 40 minutes. They take the smoke pretty quick too so you don't need a lot of wood for that smoke. Welcome to the boards.

Last edited:
Welcome!!

Hot and fast chicken always breaks it in nicely. I did wings as my first cook but any chicken will do. Hot for crispy skin - so no water pan and flaming hot coals. All vents open.
never considered you could still use the WSM for hot and fast kind of cooks. Super cool suggestion, appreciate it Chris!

Welcome, Tate. What a great birthday gift that will give back in spades for many, many years!!! (I always had to gift myself my own grills!) :)

Chris has it right with chicken. Hot/fast is a great option, as is low/slow if you want to also use it as practice for managing traditional smoking temps on the WSM. Our illustrious host has a bunch of poultry recipes HERE, which also include detailed instructions on setting up the WSM, and managing the temps with the vents.

Any way you go, that's a great plan to keep your wife happy/engaged. Smoked chicken is excellent, and any leftovers have lots of great uses (salad topper, chicken salad sandwich, tacos, enchiladas, etc.)

Enjoy the new toy!

Rich
Hey Rich, Thanks for the warm welcome and all the tips. I will be bookmarking that recipes page and start my reading on getting set up!

I did ribs on my 2nd cook...

3rd cook was a pork butt.

4th was some more chicken.

5th was a brisket.

All turned out great.

Darryl is right, be careful with the amount of wood you use for chicken as it doesn't need much - just 1 fist size chunk OR a couple smaller pieces in my opinion.

Good luck!

Hi Tate, a warm welcome to you and your very loving wife. Hope she will post, need more women around here. lol

I also have posted a lot of chicken (and other) recipes here on this forum, along with our other members. Hope you will check them out.

All poultry will be delightful! Welcome to the site, you will learn so much from the learned folk here. You may be surprised at how tastes might change when you start really getting into the wonderful world of the WSM!
Get a pork butt, and do that, you might see your wife enjoy some pulled pork!? You never know.
I’m not doing a turkey this year for Thanksgiving, my wife said she’d like us to have a brisket!!! She is not much of a beef eater, really. I was knocked out!

Welcome! Everyone has beat me to it on suggestions so not the button at the top of the page for the Bullet and read about all the good ideas there and in the WSM section,on and ask questions!

Tate, what part of Florida? Looks like we might be in for a little bit of bad weather.

Hi Tate, a warm welcome to you and your very loving wife. Hope she will post, need more women around here. lol

I also have posted a lot of chicken (and other) recipes here on this forum, along with our other members. Hope you will check them out.

Thanks for the welcome and the forum recommendation! I see myself spending a lot of time on there. I hope she gets interested enough to post as well! :) And I am in the Tampa Bay area. Really hoping the storm isn't much of an issue for the whole state, its the last thing we all need right now!

All poultry will be delightful! Welcome to the site, you will learn so much from the learned folk here. You may be surprised at how tastes might change when you start really getting into the wonderful world of the WSM!
Get a pork butt, and do that, you might see your wife enjoy some pulled pork!? You never know.
I’m not doing a turkey this year for Thanksgiving, my wife said she’d like us to have a brisket!!! She is not much of a beef eater, really. I was knocked out!
Pork butt is my plan for my second cook after this first chicken! So my hope is exactly what you are saying and that the bbq is just too irresistible! Happy to see there are others who have a track record of converting the non beef eaters. :)

Welcome Tate, you will love the friendly atmosphere on this forum, really a great group of very knowledgeable people on board. If you have a question about anything involving outdoor cooking someone and most likely many will have an answer for you.
As far as what to cook on your new WSM I recommend as others did a pork butt, very forgiving piece of meat to start with.

Back