new member - 18.5 WSM user with an AFTERBURNER mini-v conversion, needs help!!!

Olie Malit

hi this is my new post and i am a proud weber smokey mountain owner.

i originally got started smoking meat on my propane grill doing it that way. i have the duo chargriller so i bought the firebox for the charcoal side. i got frustrated how hot one side was than the other so i built a baffle. with the huge baffle i made, the smoke wouldn't go over 200 degrees on either side (both the same) i got frustrated and came across the propane conversion website of www.gassmoker.com. the guys told me i would waste a **** of alot more gas on a offset than a verticle. but would work wonders if you wanted to smoke fish at the 150 degree range. and that is what i mostly only use my offset for now is fish for the very slow smoking. but i almost wanted a solo/pure smoker as well.

i purchased the mini-v conversion for the weber, then purchased the weber from amazon.com. when i first did the conversion i was actually unpleased with it because with the slightest flame, the flame would go out. the guy who built it said you have to let the spent gasses go out for the flame to stay on.

knowing this, i now have a 3/8 hole in the charcoal pan (figured out putting the burner on the charcoal rack that the inlet tube can just get fed thru the intake vents) and i thought drilling 3 each 1/4 extra holes in the exhaust would give it the more exhaust it needed. by the time i now have a 3/8 hole in the bottom assembly and 3 ea 1/4 holes in the lid.

with that done, the only thing i accomplished was the tiniest flame possible wouldn't go out but anything more, the flame would still go out. the smallest flame isn't enough to heat up the can and create smoke and put the temp very high at all. with the smallest flame, the wind can blow it out as well.

i went thru a few smoking figuring out that i just had to cock-eye the hood onto the body section to get the flame high enough to cook the food and the flame not go out. i didn't like this.

i went to ACE Hardware, and told/show somebody there what i had to work with (they have the 22.5 wsm there). he showed me that i could use some window stoppers that had wing nuts on there. i wanted to see if i could just use 1 or 2 to prop up 1 side of the lid. nope, could barely get the thing hot enough to go to 190-200 with the flame not going out. so i put 4 of them on there to keep the entire lid up about 1/8 of an inch up. now i can get the smoker to 275 degrees without the flame going out (i haven't tried any hotter. however, alot of smoke does go out that 1/8 inch gap, but smoke is still going out the top exhaut vent now that i have 6 holes in it now. should i partially close that since i got alot of smoking out of the opening crack? IS MY MEAT GETTING ENOUGH SMOKE STILL ON THE TOP RACK? WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

with this being said, the only thing i'm not happy with is that the water pan is so freakin deep (7.25) i cannot change out the smoke cans without lifting the body off the smoker. to do this, i also have to take off the lid with it resting on window stoppers. doing this, i'm losing all thath eat from the last 2 hours. the smoke can will last about 2 hours. i want to be able to change smoke cans without lift the whole body. so here is my questions, will getting the brinkmann charcoal pan give me enough clearance or so i can take the pan out. it looks like if i have 2 more inches i'll have enough room to take out the can. i think the forum says the brinkmann pan is 5.25 and still maintain 2 galloons of water.

however, if this doesn't work, will the old 1 galloon pan work in the current model? i know on the replacement part sch, it says it has different rack straps. that'll give me 4 more inches of room and should definiately give me enough room to take out the smoke can, but now i can't go more than 2hrs not watching the water level. and i'm purely over night smoker while i sleep and wake up every 2-4 hours.

please give me your inputs on my situation/situations.

i'm also wanting to weld up those added i made just in case i wanted to take it camping and use charcoal. i do like the ease of the propane. i also just bought a 10 galloon tank for it.

Oh my, I would have done more testing before drilling a bunch of holes, especially in the lid.

I'd be concerned about the bottom hole allowing hot embers to fall through. And I wouldn't expect small holes like those to make much difference.

There should be some kind of air venturi near the gas value that allows sufficient air flow for proper ignition and flame shape. Is it open full?

How does it burn with the side door opened at different widths or removed?

Have you tried removing the water pan?

Could that deep water pan be reducing the air volume around the burner and/or interring with sufficient air flow.

You might consider replacing the water pan with a terra cotta clay saucer.

i have figured that the top holes can just be welded and have the exhaust replaced. the bottom hole could just be covered with a bolt and nut then have it JB welded. and/or welded.

i keep all 3 of the intakes opened to allow air to get in.

since i've done the thing with the lid when i open the side door (depending on the flame size) the flame doesn't really change all that much. when i didn't do the whole thing with the lid, it was mostly blue with just a little bit of orangy yellow flame.

i haven't ever tried not using the water pan. i was actually wanting to try the old 1 galloon pan so i can change the smoke cans without lifting the body. if i completely didn't use it, it would make a huge difference.

is there a clay saucer that woldn't fit in place of the water pan entirely? i always thought it made a difference using water, but i guess its all only about temperature regulating. if i were to use a water pan or a clay saucer, the meat would come out the same? i do most of my smokes overnight or unattended for hours on end.

any help would be appreciated.

You open the side door and the flame doesn't change? That should have provided plenty of intake and exhaust.

What about the venturi, is it open full?
Could it be the gas value is not opening enough?

Yes, the meat will come out the same.

As you surmized, the main use of water is for temp regulation.

The clay saucer provides a thermal mass but won't help prevent an over-temp so you have to have temp stabalizaton down pat.

Measure the diameter across the water pan's brackets and get a clay saucer to fit (probably a 14" or 15.5"). If not, you could place it atop the bottom grate.

when i open the side door most of the time, it has smoke rushing towards my face for me to really notice. however, when i don't have a smoke can in there to burn wood. its not super drastic or anything. the flame seems as if i just blew a fan on it and then it does grow a bit. it also seems if i were to just peak, the flame is mostly blue with slight orangy yellow tips (no can again).

if i were to no water, i think i'd be able to use alot less flame. i did notice before when i didn't have a smoke can in and i had the flame to almost the smallest, with those 3 extra holes i have in the exhaust damper, the flame wouldnt go out (with full pan water) but the temperature wasn't quite at 200 yet. so i have to crank up the flame a tad bit more, but then the flame would go out due to lack of exhaust.

so the clay saucer is just something to make sure the meat doesn't have direct heat as well?

i was contemplating on using the water pan on the 1st rack but its so tall its only like 1 inch from touching the 2nd rack. if i had the old style pan, it'll allow me to just put another grate on top of it and have a 1st rack still.

however, when i did that (i had no meat, just testing it out) the water wouldn't boil, it just got warm. i don't know if that matters or not.

i do have a pro-q stacker however, so maybe i can just do that. i do like the fact with a clay suacer i'm hearing htere is no temp spikes and i can just sleep while the whole cooking is happening.

can i get these things at wal-mart?

Water absorbs heat energy. Without water there, that heat energy is used to heat up the air inside the smoker.

Yes, the clay saucer blocks the meat from direct heat. You can get them from any place that sells large terra cotta pots for plants - WalMart, HomeDepot, Lowes, Garden Supply, etc.

That the water doesn't come to a boil just means that the temp is not reaching 212º at that location.

OMG, tonight i did my regular wal-mart shopping after the gym tonight. and befoere i started, i wanted to see exactly what everybody is talking about clay saucers. i went to the garden section and saw what you guys are probably talking about. all i saw was a 10 incher, and a 12 incher. so i didn't bite, i went ahead and did my shopping and was determined to go somewhere else to find the right size saucer. i called lowe's to see what time they closed. i traveled all the way across the other town to lowe's and found that they didn't have anything but a 12 incher and a 16 incher.

i thought if the body is 18.5 inches, then this 16 incher should fit someway or another and still give 2.5 inches around for the smoke to rise up. so i went ahead and bought a 16 incher.

i went home and triple foiled it up to keep as much heat away from it. and since its about 1.5 inches deep, i thought i'd put some water in it (about 20-30 ouches) just to give some moisture in the air. and behold, i can now put in and out a smoke can without lifting the body.

with the ridiculously deep water pan, the smoke can was only about 1/4 inch away from touching the pan. maybe the water pan was smothering the flame as well.

i quickly saw the temperature rise to about 250 at the lid with very little flame with the smoke can filled with some old mesquite store bought wood. i decided to take off the window stoppers at the lid to completely close the lid and see if the flame was to go out. i then saw the temperature guage grow higher. then i decided to lower the flame some go make it go down to about 225. the flame isn't on very high and the flame isn't showing any sign of going out.

all the smoke is only now going out the exhaust (of course with the 3 added holes i drilled in there. the lid does seem to be leaking some at the matching surfaces but that might be mainly due to the fact i got some caked on crud on there now.

it seems as if my whole problem the whole time was the water pan the new models come with. but maybe i do need those added holes i need. i wanted to make sure its not a fluke by keeping it on for the next 20-25 minutes. i went back outside and the flame was still on and holding a 225 temp. i took out the can and kept it on for another 10 minute. the temp went up to about 240 and didn't go out.

at this time i am completely estastic (not sure if i spelt that right). i will try again on tuesday when i run out of smoked food just in case this was a fluke. wanna make sure the flame still won't go out anymore. if not, then i'm gonna be a very happy camper. if not, i'll just prop the lid slowing using 1-4 window stoppers.

i don't know for sure with that 1/8 gap around the whole hood if i was losing smoke flavor or not. but now, i should get the whole effect.

wish me luck. i want to thank you guys for your help. and for a whopping $15 minus 10% military discount to fix all my problems. it costed me more than that for 4 ace hardward window stoppers.

Glad to see you got it working!

Gee, who ever suspected that water pan being the issue and suggested replacing it with a clay saucer must be a really smart guy.
icon_wink.gif

A few points ...

- Don't worry about losing smoke flavor. Too much smoke is worse than not enough. As long as whisps of light-blue smoke are coming out the top, you're good.

- Try slowly rotating the lid around to eliminate leakage around the base. Sometimes it fits better in different locations.

- Forget the water on top the clay saucer. It's not doing anything for you.

Is it going to be a problem me replacing the pan entirely with the clay saucer? Some people seem to worry about the saucer cracking due to heat shock!

I started to research pizza pans that will fir perfectly then maybe put a 12 inched on there. The reason is because most people r putting a 14 inched in the one gal
pan.

"heat shock"? As in putting a cold ceramic plate into a hot oven?

If the saucer is in at startup, would heat shock still be a problem?

I don't think people are putting 12.5" and 14" saucers in the water pan to prevent heat shock. It has more to do with indirect heat and thermal mass.

If it concerns you, there are options as you've mentioned. Whatever works for you.

i only really meant to ask if people are having problems with this thing cracking on them. and if i would run into a greater risk of having it cracked since i'm not using a water pan.

does using a alumium pizza pan seem feasible?

Back