New Kingsford Sucks!

Jon MI

TVWBB Super Fan
Using the Minion Method to cook a brisket today. I've been fighting and fighting the temp all morning long. I close up the vents a tad to drop the heat, I've let it go below my target temp, then just crack open the vents a hair more. Boom, temp sky rockets again.

Kingsford isn't joking when it says it lights faster. Anyone else having this problem?

On top of that my chain keeps falling off my tractor tire. Man I need a drink already.

Happy New Years. Don't drink and drive!

I've never had charcoal of any brand react that fast. Could it be the smoke wood ingniting instead?

JimT

Ditto on not seeing anything combust like that. I just bought a double-bagger from Home Depot and it seems to be burning just fine.

I use lump (royal oak) so can't comment on the kingsford, but I have a tractor and I keep the chain on it by putting a wheel weight on the rim. The weights stick out so the chains cannot roll off the wheel. The first years I used my tractor without the weights (didn't think I needed any extra weight over the dive wheels
icon_biggrin.gif
), I couldn't keep my chains on. I tried springs and wires, but nothing really worked.

You probably have a leak somewhere. Make sure your sections are seated together straight.

Are you sure you have regular Kingsford and not Matchlight mixed in?

I keep some matchlight around so I can light my chimney. I put 2 or 3 matchlight in the bottom and regular charcoal on top. The matchlight gets the rest going easier than just paper.

i'm burning from a brand new bag and if anything i'm having the opposite problem. i went through an hour or so where i ended up opening all the vents just to stop a temp slide that dropped 20° in ten minutes.

Haven't tried the new product yet.
DuraFlame has briquete that works real well and has much less ash than the old kingsford product.
Jim

Originally posted by JRPfeff:
Jon- You are not alone. There is a thread on this topic at The BBQ Forum. Some there are concluding that the NEW Kingsford in incompatible with Mr. Minion's Method.

OK, some one give me a clue. I read the above thread, as well as the original from which it spawned. Also just scanned every side of my current bag and no where is there any information on how to tell if you have the "new" Kingsford.

What's the tip off?

--
Charles

You might be a redneck Jedi if...
At least one wing of your X-Wings is primer colored.

Originally posted by Charles Howse:
OK, some one give me a clue. I read the above thread, as well as the original from which it spawned. Also just scanned every side of my current bag and no where is there any information on how to tell if you have the "new" Kingsford.

What's the tip off?

Charles - I don't know either, but if the stuff in my garage is the "old Coke" version of Kingsford, I may be putting it for sale on eBay.

Jim

I haven't bought any charcoal since well before the storm (8/29/05), and all of what I have has "Lights Faster, Burns Longer" in large fiery letters at the bottom front of the bag. And I haven't had any problems with it. Am I correct in assuming the originator of the BBQ Forum thread and this one are the same person?

JRP,
I also just scanned Kingsford's web site, and saw nothing there about a "new mix" for the standard stuff.

That being the case, I'll have to see proof that there is a new mix or new product in the same ol' bag.

--
Charles

You might be a redneck Jedi if...
You can easily describe the taste of an Ewok.

The Lights Faster, Burns Longer is the new stuff.

Just notice how quick it lights. I have ashed over coals in well under 10 minutes.

My memory is bad. I thought it's always said, "Lights Faster, Burns Longer" on the bag..?
I've been using Kingsford for years.

A quick call to 800.232.4745 (the 'call us' number from the back of the bag) next week should clear this up.

I beleive the lights faster burns longer is original. I bought around 400lbs of carcoal back in may or june and what i have left says it on the bottom of the bag.Seems to be same old reliable stuff.

seeuu
Jeff

I read on that other website that:
The "New" stuff comes in a 41 lb twin pack, briquettes are smaller, have two deep grooves on one side.

I'm not sure what I got, it came in a 40 pound 2-pack, the briqettes may be smaller, but there are no grooves.

Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Haven't tried the new product yet.
DuraFlame has briquete that works real well and has much less ash than the old kingsford product.
Jim
I just searched the WalMart, Sam's Club, Home Depot, and Lowe's websites, and couldn't find any DuraFlame charcoal listed. This may be due to numerous factors, such as seasonal products, store locale, etc.
Just to be on the safe side, can anyone verify that any of the stores above carry DuraFlame charcoal?

And, also, if it works out that these new, smaller briquettes do burn hotter, couldn't we just cut back on the amount we use?
Sounds to me like this might be a good thing...we'd save charcoal, and therefore money using the new product.
It would take some time to experiment, and get the amount right, but still...

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You've been married three times and still have the same in-laws.

This may help, or it may just confuse things further, but...

Kingsford Sure Fire Grooves Charcoal

Although hard to make out in the image, the yellow banner at the top has a briquet with two deep grooves in it surrounded by the phrase "Sure Fire Grooves" on the left, and the phrases "Easy Lighting, Ready in About 10 Minutes". At the bottom of the bag, it says "No Lighter Fluid Required". We are, of course, used to the product bearing the term Match Light having a solvent component to make the use of starter fluid unnecessary. The link provided to the NACS Show listing does not provide any further enlightenment as to a non-Match Light version.

Back