New Kingsford Sucks!

I bought two bags of the new stuff yesterday at HD. I didn't see any of the old stuff around. I'll probably drive around this week to see what I can find.

I have about two chimneys of old stuff left. My WSM should come next week, so I think I'll be using the new stuff by then.

I live in the Tidewater area of Virginia. I am interested in trying the Kamada extruded cocunut charcoal. I need to find a nearby distributer or failing that local interest in splitting the costs of a pallet (about 13 cases) shipped from the left coast.

Does anyone have any info on Kamado dealers in my area?

Jeff - a group of us here in the NY Metro area were interested in this a while ago. Apparently, their shipping prices went up recently. The company said that they were planning to ship a bunch of stuff out East in the spring or early summer and that we'd be better off waiting for that shipment. Jeff davidson, on this board, knows more. But... I'd contact kamado and ask them about their East coast shipment - where it is going to, etc.

Good luck.

Since I posted this I saw on their web site that they had a Richmond VA phone number. I called and sure enough the lady said they handled bulk orders for the East coast. I asked her to email me a quote for a ten case (17lb/case) shipment. I have not seen that email yet, nor has she called me back.

I would try this for BBQ'n but would also like to try it with Dutch Ovens (DO). I use DO's when I camp quite a bit. Kingsford rules in the DO community primarily because of it's consistency in burn temperatures. But I hate it because of the ash build up on the lids. On windy days you just don't open that lid to check for fear of the ash blowing in. Heck I worry about that on calm days.

I just wanted to echo Hunter's thoughtful comment -- it is great that Kingsford pays attention to what folks are saying about its new product, and the best way to keep that attention is to make constructive points telling them exactly why this community is disappointed, and how they can win us back (especially since there was a great deal of loyalty to the old product).

That said, there's nothing wrong with stocking up on the old stuff -- as of Saturday, the Home Depot under the BQE in Brooklyn (an otherwise horrible place) is still selling the old stuff (sadly, only in the 20lb bags, not the 48lb twin packs). Pick it up while it lasts!

I've gone to the Kingsford website, forced to view a 10 second ad on the new stuff. I clicked Contact Us, and sent in my critical feedback. Hope others do the same.

I'm looking forward to trying out the new stuff. I've had quite a bit of trouble with Kingsford and MM for some reason (getting to and maintaining temps above 215ºF).

Maybe it's the altitude here (~5000 ft) or ambient temperatures (20ºF - 40ºF avg for overnight), load (I normally do large cooks) or use of Brinkmann pan or some combination of these factors.

Perhaps the new product will work better for me.

This thread is so funny.
icon_razz.gif
Lump, Lump Baby. My BJ's here in Central PA still has the old crap if anybody wants it. I use it to start my coal stove to keep me warm in the winter, works great for that.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
This thread is so funny.
icon_razz.gif
Lump, Lump Baby. My BJ's here in Central PA still has the old crap if anybody wants it. I use it to start my coal stove to keep me warm in the winter, works great for that.
icon_biggrin.gif
yeah, yeah, yeah...
icon_smile.gif
I know, we are all kingsford geeks. If you want to persuade a dealer out here to carry a decent lump, I'm all for the conversion! Otherwise, keep on observing and laughing, cuz it's all we've got out here...

Has anyone tried mixing the Kingsford Classic and New Kingsford to extend the life of their limited Classic supply?

Originally posted by adam clyde:
yeah, yeah, yeah...
icon_smile.gif
I know, we are all kingsford geeks. If you want to persuade a dealer out here to carry a decent lump, I'm all for the conversion! Otherwise, keep on observing and laughing, cuz it's all we've got out here...
Give Humphrey's a call (814) 849-2302. They have distributors all over the North & South East. If nothing else he can tell you the closest place to get some. I have to drive about 30 miles to get it but it's well worth the road trip. Wickedgood and Naturesown is some other place's you can look. Good luck.
icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I called them. They don't sell anywhere in New York or Connecticut. I'm up for driving, but the nearest was in Pennsylvania. Naturesown is about 2 hours away. I'll swing by next time I drive to Boston...

I can get Wicked Good in Danbury - about 45 minutes away. But it's $17 for a 20# bag. Just a little too steep for me.

Alas, I'm relegated to pining away and waiting until I get a shipment of extruded coconut...

Originally posted by adam clyde:
Yeah, I called them. They don't sell anywhere in New York or Connecticut.
Adam,

If they told you Eastern New York, that may be true, but if they told you New York as a whole, they gave you inaccurate information. Humphries Lump is available almost everywhere here in Western New York.
icon_smile.gif

Decided to switch to lump. Picked up some Royal Oak and Nature Glo at the GFS store. 20 lbs of R.O. was 9.99 and 20 lbs of Nature Glo was 5.99. Both got decent reviews on the NakedWhiz.Will use the new Kingsford for lighting the lump. Sounds like that all it's good for on a long smoke anyway

Response from Kingsford:

March 17, 2006

Dr. Thomas Ferguson
710 94th Ave N
Saint Petersburg, FL 33702-2452

Reference Number: 4409099

Dear Dr. Ferguson,

Thank you for contacting us about Kingsford Regular Charcoal Sure Fire Grooves. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

As you subsequently discovered when you visited our website, Kingsford Charcoal with Sure Fire GroovesT has indeed replaced our previous Kingsford Charcoal products. We firmly believe that our new briquets are a significant improvement because they are now ready to cook on faster and burn longer than previous Kingsford briquets. The longe r burn time is a result of the shape change but primarily an increase in the amount of wood char included in each briquet. These changes result in a higher level of BTU's in each Sure Fire briquet than were i n our previous Kingsford briquet, without impacting the same great flavor you have come to expcct from Kingsford Charcoal.

I assure you that such a major change to a great product like Kingsford Charcoal was not taken lightly and was developed with both the "weekend griller" and the BBQ professional in mind. The team that worked on this product improvement uses Kingsford Charcoal regularly for grilling, BBQ and smoking and has seen the benefits of Kingsford Charcoal with Sure Fire Grooves personally. However, we are taking the concern you expressed about faster burning very seriously and our Research and Development team will review the product's performance under the scenario you shared.

Our website http://www.kingsford.com/faq/index.htm provides helpful tips about our new product and how to get the optimum results that Kingsford Charcoal users expect. However, it does not cover all situations. Accomplished BBQers like yourself, will notice that as the briquets heat up they will get a little hotter and that the heat comes sooner. Therefore, for low and slow cooking we suggest that you be ready at the beginning of the BBQ for the early heat and even experiment with a little bit less char coal at each addition to manage the heat and avoid losing any by having to damper it off.

I assure you that we are committed to raising awareness of our product change and educating our loyal consumer base. Because we appreciate your feedback, I would like to send you a free product coupon to try the product again.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper
Consumer Response Representative
Consumer Services

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
... However, we are taking the concern you expressed about faster burning very seriously and our Research and Development team will review the product's performance under the scenario you shared.
Dr. Tom, could you share this scenario with us?

Thanks for sharing the response from Kingsford with us and congrats on your new Stumps!

Bill

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:

Dear Dr. Ferguson,
... Accomplished BBQers like yourself, ... I would like to send you a free product coupon to try the product again.
Now Tom

This is getting pretty deep!
icon_smile.gif
Seriously, congrats on your response, it's not easy to get the big guys attention.

To show my appreciation, I'm going to save the fat cap off my next butt and send it to you in St Pete.
icon_smile.gif

Your friend from way back,

Paul

Bill,

Thanks for the congrats. Love my new Stumps, but not getting rid of my WSMs anyday soon.

The scenario that the Kingsford person spoke of was the Minion Method which I described to her in detail. Told her what happens with the new stuff, now it is difficult to bring under control as easy as the old stuff... holding steady temps for long periods of time.

I tried to be diplomatic, as someone else suggested here, and was as nice as I could be, while letting them know that they had a huge demographic out here that was looking for an alternative to their old briquets.

Paul,

Gee, man, would ya send that as soon as you can. I've got a brisket that I wanna cook and I'll put the butt fat on top of it
icon_biggrin.gif

How's everything goin' up there in the Panhandle? They still lynchin' country lawyers?
icon_biggrin.gif

Tom

Well it's not the same ole' Fla Panhandle where things sometimes got so slow the rivers only ran twice a week
icon_smile.gif
. Santa Rosa is the 5th fastest growing county in Florida and there may not be much room left for us country lawyers.

I looked up that new cooker you got and it sounds very interesting. I know you'll keep a place for your WSMs - 'cause they was yo' fust
icon_smile.gif

Hope we don't have to exchange hurricane stories this year. We need a break.

Paul

Back