New Kingsford Sucks!

Steve- I think your right about tarnishing the crown. At this point it's about perception, and that matters a lot. I personally use Kingsford as a convenience. Using RO means having to drive 10 miles to get it. But I like it better, and when I'm up that way I always pick some up. If this "new coke" causes me any problems, I won't think twice about buying larger quantities of RO or splurging a little more often on B&B oak lump at the supermarket down the street.

But Kingsford is still the leader for now. I could see the scenario others described taking place where the other companies follow suit and make their own "surefire" stuff to keep up. Even so I'm not worried. I believe we are a big enough niche that someone would come along to fill it (maybe someone off this board, more likely Kingsford releasing "coke classic").

Look back through this thread and really think about this... "grillers" may be 95% of the charcoal buyers, but do they buy 95% of the charcoal? How many of your neighbors who don't smoke (use charcoal only to grill) just went crazy and bought 200 lbs of charcoal because the formula changed? How many "exclusive" grillers ever have more than 20 lbs of charcoal at once? Somebody buys those 5 and 10 lb bags but it ain't us, is it?

I think we may be selling ourselves short on our buying power. I also think that even if all are fears about the new stuff are right, it still may not be that big a deal. I want to try some, but all this guessing gives us a good topic huh?

Originally posted by Willie H:

Look back through this thread and really think about this... "grillers" may be 95% of the charcoal buyers, but do they buy 95% of the charcoal? How many of your neighbors who don't smoke (use charcoal only to grill) just went crazy and bought 200 lbs of charcoal because the formula changed? How many "exclusive" grillers ever have more than 20 lbs of charcoal at once? Somebody buys those 5 and 10 lb bags but it ain't us, is it?

I think we may be selling ourselves short on our buying power. I also think that even if all are fears about the new stuff are right, it still may not be that big a deal. I want to try some, but all this guessing gives us a good topic huh?

I never thought of it the way you explained about grillers not using as much as people that smoke. I know I bought around 600 pounds of Kingsford this past year. 300 2 falls ago, 300 last spring. Would have been a lot more, but I made the switch to Hump Lump and only use the Kingsford for the kettle, and starting the lump in the WSM. I don't know what percentage of Kingsford is used by smokers, would not even venture a wild guess.
icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
When my supply is gone, I will try RO and lump. I may use both or fall back to the King. We may be the winner.
Steve,
I think you've made one of the best points of this conversation....this controversy is going to make many of us try something different with an eye on comparison to Kingsford.

I myself have used K'ford almost exclusively since getting my WSM. Why? Because it's the recommended charcoal of this group.
My results have been good...but compared to what?

We may find something completely better, or not.
But we will never find something better if we don't switch.

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You repaint your house every day because you like the smell.

Charles,

Great point. I have used kigsford for 25 years. Swore by it. When I started smoking last year with the wsm, I used a crummy lump (cowboy) one time and stayed with Kingsford.

This past week I have cut the chain for now at least. I bought a bunch of quality lump and absolutely like the flavor better thus far. It is a little more expensive, but I can tell the quality of my cue seems raised a level.

wsmsmile8gm.gif
Well, HD still had a pallet of the old stuff so 4 48#s followed me home. Maybe some more before others realize what's up.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by craig castille:
I used a crummy lump (cowboy) one time and stayed with Kingsford.
The last bag (forever!) of Cowboy I used had a 3# rock in it.

FWIW, I will probably switch to Royal Oak briquettes. Thought about lump, but I remember all the sparks when lighting...not good for my wood deck!

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You think Woodstock is the end you hold when shooting a shotgun.

I will say the new stuff seems to burn faster and light faster. Overfilled ring withabout thirty lit briquettes on top lasted a little over 17 hrs compared to 20+ normally. Also when I added about half a ring on top of the lit I had flames shooting up around the water pan when I took the lid off to probe and spritz the meat a few minutes later.nHad to close the top vent most of the way to get it under control.

I just did an overnight cook with the new stuff. It did ash over quickly and I ended up using a little more fuel than I normally do. I did not have any temp issues. Just another successful cook on the WSM!
icon_biggrin.gif

Just finished up an overnight with new Kingsford. Rock solid temps all night no problem. Did use more fuel. First time using it was a little worried but no problems.

I have not used the new Kingsford yet, but I did find a deal on the old ones. At Home Depot today they had the new Kingsford 2 pack of 24 lb. bags for $11.99. They had a few of the old 2-24 LB. packs not priced, but when scanned at the checkout they are priced at $7.98 . Is anyone finding this price at Home Depot? Here is the old UPC to look for: 44600 71158

Another thing I noticed on this cook is that it seems as though this stuff burns down to a certain point and then just dies without completely burning up. Anyone else notice this or did I have the air choked down too much?

The new stuff does heat up fast. I experienced a 60 degree temp. spike (290 to 360) in less than thirteen min. after making a 50% vent adjustment (50,50,50, to 50,50, 100) to one vent while cooking a sirloin tip this weekend. WSM was protected by an enclosure and Saturday was mildly windy. The new stuff will take some getting use too but that will be no time soon since I have stocked up 360 pounds of the old.

S Whipple

What we need is a volunteer who has two side by side WSMs, a bag of old Kingsford, a bag of new Kingsford, and who needs a lot of meat smoked all at once.

As a replacement test, I used HEB (local store) charcoal last night, and, at the 12 hour mark, had to dump a few more pounds in to finish the cook!! It is terribly fast-burning stuff.
icon_frown.gif
So not all other charcoal is much better. I'll try the new Kford stuff on an overnight next time.

Used the new stuff for a pair of butts last week, here's my impression -

Definitely lights faster, seems to burn hotter. I had to choke off the vents more than usual. Once i got the initial flare-up controlled, seemed to hold proper temp easier than usual. I added half a chimney (unlit) in the morning as usual, and pulled out great pork in the afternoon.

Could be due to luck, since I've never had two cooks work out exactly the same way, but I'd say the new stuff works fine. I couldn't taste any difference in the result.

Neil Z- I agree with you. Many reported problems may have another variable. At the same time, I believe the new stuff is having an effect. Just because most aren't having problems doesn't prove that the charcoal isn't causing some. I notice that most people who reported "no problems" still said that it was different (heated faster, had to add charcoal sooner, etc.).

I do think it's reasonably safe to assume (from the pics Chris posted) that the new stuff will both light faster and burn up quicker. The physical changes to the briquet pretty much assure this. That being said, we could still be overblowing it.

My personal guess, is that the changes will not be large enough to make a huge difference. Perhaps noticeable, but not huge. Again, I have not used it, just my guess. I think everyone will just have to use it and decide for themselves. I love the fact that it's causing people to try other stuff though. If more buy RO, maybe it will become easier for me to get
icon_smile.gif

The kingsford thing has been eye opening for me. Did two butts over a whole brisket using a quality lump. I am converted. The flavor absorbed and quality of the lump was noticable.The smoke ring on the brisket was prominent and defined.

Temps were easy to control...I was really careful the first couple of hours, didn't have any spikes nor loss of temps and went 16 hours before refueling with a couple of handfuls. Ended up using 8-9lbs of lump.

Extra cost was worth it....had guests.

Craig- nice to hear. What brand did you use?

I like B&B oak, mostly because it seems to have less bit's/dust than others I've tried. I often blend mine with briquets- but I only add lit briquets. For Minion I will use lump piled up then add lit briquets to the top. I'm one of those people that notices the bad smell from lighting briquets.

forgot to add- I do use "unlit" briquets with Minion for long overnights, especially when cold, windy. I don't like to for the smell reason, but I sleep easier that way.

Back