New Kingsford Lump???

Steve, that has been out for a while now. The new product from Kingsford will not be out until April or so of 2009.

Gotch ya. Never seen this kind in my neck of the woods before. Have you used it before? Thanks for the info.
icon_smile.gif

I have never tried it personally...There are much better lump products in my area to bother overpaying for the KF stuff. I think naked whiz gave it an average rating if I remember correctly...I also remember hearing that it sparks like crazy during start-up...but I could be mistaken on that part.

You might want to check out some restaurant supply stores if you have any in your area. Most of the ones around me carry Hump Lump and hump lump hardwood briquettes.

The new KF product is going to be called the "Competition Briquette"

I got a 4 pack (40lbs total) at Sam's club for $20 earlier this summer. They sold out and haven't replinished (must have been one of those Sam's club experiements).

I was pleased with the product. I think the local Kroger still carries this, but charges $6.99 a bag.

Steve,I got some from a truck driver at work,about 4 busted bags worth. Unfortunately,I used most of it for my smokey joe while camping,before I got my bullet. I had just enough left to do my first lump smoke,after I got comfortable using K. It burned pretty well,had a good smell,and I wish I could find some more. It beats cowboy by a good stretch,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Steve,I got some from a truck driver at work,about 4 busted bags worth. Unfortunately,I used most of it for my smokey joe while camping,before I got my bullet. I had just enough left to do my first lump smoke,after I got comfortable using K. It burned pretty well,had a good smell,and I wish I could find some more. It beats cowboy by a good stretch, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil, you can get the Kingsford lump at Food Lion and Walmart around Charlotte.

I used it once, it was ok. I didn't last long, my biggest problem with it. Never used Cowboy so... but the K lump was the worst lump I've used, because of the short burn time from it. Smelled fine, just didn't last all that long. But then again, I'm so used to using Humphrey's (Hump Lump) it's hard to find anything better here in the states. And yes I've used the Wicked Good Competition Blend (old stuff) and the Hump burns just as long as that does, without the perfumey rain forest wood smell to it.
icon_wink.gif

Just FYI. Doing a business trip in Durham, NC (RTP). Was just at the Food Lion near the intersection of 55 and I40.

They had the Kingsford Lump, the mesquite and hickory "flavored" briquettes and the hickory and mesquite wood chips on the shelf. The Kingsford Charwood (Lump) was in the small bags for $6.99.

So I would think the other Food Lions in NC might carry it?

I'm not really interested in it, but thought I would post for those who are. I might try it if I was all out of Humphrey for some odd reason. There are other brands that I am more interested in trying.

Back