New Kingsford Competition Bags - smaller and more expensive.

Craig A

TVWBB Fan
I picked up a bag of Kingsford Competition Briquets at my local Home Depot today. They had restocked recently and the new bags are smaller, but more expensive.

The old bags are labeled 12 lb, equivalent to 15 pounds of Kingsford Original. That is a 1.25 conversion. These bags used to be $8.97

The new bags are 11.1 lb, eqivalent to 13.89 pounds of original. Still 1.25 conversion, but these bags were $9.97. More money for less charcoal.

I grabbed a few of the old bags. They have a different SKU so they still ring up at the old $8.97 price.

If you like Kingsford Competition you may want to stock up if you can still find the 12 pound bags.

What's the competetive edge, with the Comp. K, anyway? (poet didn't know it)

They don't smell like hardwood briquettes, and they don't last as long as regular K.... so what's the point?

Competition (Grilling) K, maybe? Well, that's some pretty expensive added BTU's, if you ask me. ???

I bought a bag 2 weeks ago and still haven't used it. Having a tough time pulling away from lump. But as I'm doing these longer cooks now, and hear how consistent and long comp K burns for (minion method), I'll at least have to give it a shot.

I've been using Comp K because they don't smell like blue K but they burn pretty consistent. I haven't found any other natural briquettes locally. The price jump might inspire me to try some other fire sources.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig A:
I've been using Comp K because they don't smell like blue K but they burn pretty consistent. I haven't found any other natural briquettes locally. The price jump might inspire me to try some other fire sources. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya. They don't stink near as bad as the reg. K. If memory serves, I read recently that the new K (or back to the old, just w/ deeper grooves, as some have suggested) has a little less stink or smoke (can't rememember which or if both) than the reg. K that's being phased out. I'm thinking of trying it, as I noticed Home Depot has the big double bag (cheap price) of the new K.

Speaking of stuff that folks say smells like hardwood, you might check out the Royal Oak chef select that Doitbest.com has. It's a great price, but I can't remember what it was. Place your order online, and pay no shipping. They're rather large briquettes, and I've not read anything bad about them, just hints that they might burn a little quicker than expected (maybe for being as large).

This is happening with the Kingsford blue also.
The price hasn't changed at Walmart ($7.50/bag) but the weight is now 16.6#. Says "Lasts as long as 18#". I smell a scam. They did the same thing a couple of years ago when they went from the 20# bag to 18#. "Lasts as long as 20#". So Kingsford is saying that 16.6# lasts as long as 20#. I can just see it 10 years now. We will be down to a 1.5# bag "Lasts as long as a 2.3# bag" etc, etc, etc.

This is from the FAQ on kingsford's web site

I noticed that the bag weight has changed.

While the weight of each briquet has changed, the current bags are the same size, have the same number of briquets as before and the same number of uses as previous Kingsford® charcoal but offer a performance improvement at the same great value.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
What's the competetive edge, with the Comp. K, anyway? (poet didn't know it)

They don't smell like hardwood briquettes, and they don't last as long as regular K.... so what's the point?

Competition (Grilling) K, maybe? Well, that's some pretty expensive added BTU's, if you ask me. ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a really good article on comp K vs lump.

Back