New here need advice.

SeanBowe

Hi everyone! So I just found this site and was looking for advice. I have a weber genesis gas grill currently. I hope I'm in the right place. I am considering getting a weber smokey mountain 22. I want to make sure I am making the right decision. I have built a smoker before out of two 55 gallon drums, which was a stick burner and a fuel hog. Regretfully I threw it away. After that I made a hasty decision and thought a pellet smoker was a good idea, and have regretted that everyday since, $800 wasted. I miss the flavor my drum smoker. I have been smoking and bbq'ing for a while now. I know if you are here, you most likely are biased to the WSM, however, I haven't tried anything cooked on one before, and after my mistake with the Traeger pellet smoker, I am gun shy. I have read reviews, and know that there is a cult following to this thing, but have also heard the negative sides, mostly with the door. Any input would be great.

I have a 18 and a 22 and I really like the both - they each serve their own purpose. They hold temperature really well, but it might take a few cooks to get it "gunked" up enough. I bought the cajun bandit replacement door. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have spent the money. The original door doesn't leak that much and you can easily form it for a better fit.

Can't go wrong with a WSM. Competition BBQ teams win with them. I have the 14" and 18", they are both cooking machines. There is a short learning curve but the rewards are well worth it. And we're here to help.

I have the 14, 18, and 22. I love the 18 and 22. I also have a cyberq temperature controller that I move from one to another, love the set and forget. I bought some gasket material for a green egg and used it around the door and cut it in half to use around my lid to help with air flow since I'm using the temp controller. I also cut a small notch just below the lid so my wires easily come out and go in when moving my grates.

I have the 18 and absolutely love it. I have done nothing to it for modifications and I really don't see what all the fuss is with the door. I don't feel it lets out that much smoke in my opinion. The only thing I wish is that it was the 22. I got the 18 for free as a house warming gift so I can't complain there. I would've never considered getting one unless I had gotten that one as a gift. The only reason I wish I had the 22 is for doing ribs. I can only fit about 4 racks between the two racks and have to cut them in half to get them to fit. Other than that I have no negatives to say!

Can’t beat the wsm, started out trying to smoke with the Genesis ( smoke meister ).....(good not great) .... got a wsm 18 from a friend and never looked back! added a rack to the top level ( 4 carriage bolts and a grate) for additional rib space, cut the rim for temp leads, and added gasket material to seal it up. There are so many options to customize depending on what you want to cook.
Just completed a long cook yesterday pork but on bottom and put a prime rib on top part way through, can’t beat the flavor....

Hi everyone! So I just found this site and was looking for advice. I have a weber genesis gas grill currently. I hope I'm in the right place.
You are in the right place!
I see from your profile that you are from Michigan. I'd be that out of the THOUSANDS of members here, someone lives close by.
Your best bet may be reaching out and trying to find someone local, arrange a meet-up, and check out one for yourself!

Thanks Everyone! Just wanted to make sure I didn't make another regretful mistake like with the pellet grill.

Last edited:
Sean, I started out on a stick burner too. I have a WSM 18 and really like it. Family members have pellet grills so I’ve experienced food from them as well. The WSM will get you closer to the smoke profile of the stick burner but not exactly the same. However, you control how mud wood you use in the WSM so you can get a heavier smoke flavor if that’s what you prefer. Definitely much closer than the pellet grill will get you.

For the longest time I just had the gasser. Decided to add a second unit about a year ago. Thought about getting a pellet grill as the #2, but eventually got a WSM 18 to use as a smoker and (occasionally) a charcoal grill. Because it was simpler, smaller and much cheaper ($80 used off of craigslist). And if I didn't like it, I could easily resell it for the same price (or more). Since Webers are ubiquitous and there's almost nothing that will break or wear out.

Definitely the right choice for me. Over time I've done a few mods. Recently added an ATC to get some of that cruise control function that pellet grills have. But it runs very well standard right out of the box.

Some of us on here happily use the Hunsaker or Gateway hanging rack (mostly for ribs), so you can cook PBC/UDS style directly over the coals.

IMO, hardly anyone really needs the extra capacity of the WSM 22. The reason to get the 22 vs the 18 comes down to two things.

First, ribs. If you want to cook full slabs laid out flat, get the 22. To cook ribs on the 18, you have to do some kind of work-around -- rib rack, cut in half, rolled ribs, hanging ribs.

Second, the WSM 22 is better when used as a charcoal grill (exact same size as a standard Weber 22 kettle). The 18 grates get pretty small when doing multi-zone cooks. But if a third unit is ok, a 22 kettle is a better/cheaper grill than a 22 WSM.

Enjoy!

I bought a WSM18 just to flip it and decided to just try it once before cleaning it up and selling it. After seeing how well it held temp (I had been doing long cooks on the kettle) I was hooked and still have it. If you buy used you will not loose a bunch of money and get to try a lot of grills / smokers. That way you can decide what works for you. I had not done charcoal cooking in ages, but since last fall now have a performer with rotisserie, and a WSM18. I even tried a SmokeFire pellet grill, sold it and went back to the WSM.

If you are a little worried about buying it and not liking it, do like Joe said and try to find a used one off Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. You should be able to find an 18" for around $100. Get one, smoke with it a few times, if you don't like it, then sell it for what you bought it for.

I do all my smoking and long low and slow cooks on a 26" weber kettle. I've used the WSM before, but I just don't smoke pork butts, brisket, etc...often enough to justify keeping one around.

I'm not a pellet grill fan either. When I grill/smoke I just like using charcoal, wood chunks and a thermometer to make sure my temp is right. I enjoy tending the vents and that gives me a good excuse to stay outside and drink beer 🍻

As for sizing, I think most people can get by with the 18". The 22" WSM is freaking huge.

I love my 18," and the only reason I haven't gone for a 22, is there is the two of us, so I really don't need it. I would say for the money you can't go wrong with the WSM. I used a 22.5 weber grill for a lot of smoking for years, good, but not great.

Hi Sean, I haven't read all the above posts (it's all Greek to me lol), but in case no one has said it.....

WELCOME!!!!!!!!

Back