New here, just got EX6

LanceJ

My new Smokefire will be here Tuesday. I just went with the regular EX6 because I didn’t think I needed the extras the stealth and sear plus had. I tried searching this forum to see if there was anything I needed to do before my first cook. I couldn’t find any results but I might have not used the right search terms. So, is there Anything you all recommend I do after putting it together before my first cook? Is there a faq maybe for new people?

Thanks, I look forward to learning from you all

Congrats, Lance! @Lew Newby recommended the Bilt App to me when I bought mine; it's a third party app with assembly instructions and I'm glad I used it.

The manual will prescribe an initial burn-in procedure.

Congrats, Lance! @Lew Newby recommended the Bilt App to me when I bought mine; it's a third party app with assembly instructions and I'm glad I used it.

The manual will prescribe an initial burn-in procedure.
Oh ok, don’t have the manual yet lol. I’m probably getting ahead of myself but I just want to make sure I have everything I need for Tuesday.

Thank you

Welcome Lance.

Share a little about your smoking and grilling experience on other smokers and grills. This may help the group with suggestions.

For example, do you have a good instant read thermometer?

Try to have someone give you a hand, when you turn it on it’s legs, it would really help. It can be done solo but you put some stress on 2 of the legs.
As the guys will tell you remove the finger guard for the pellets, make sure to keep one screw in at all times.
A lot of us upgraded the casters, super easy.

Welcome Lance.

Share a little about your smoking and grilling experience on other smokers and grills. This may help the group with suggestions.

For example, do you have a good instant read thermometer?
Hello thanks! I currently have a weber gas grill and a PBC (Pit Barrel Cooker). I've also had a BGE, a Yoder and a Camp Chef pellet smoker years ago. I found that I never had as much time as I thought to be able to use these other ones so I ended up selling them. So I have used pellet and charcoal smokers/grills before but I'm not a pro by any means. I understand that the Smokefire is going to be a little different to use than my other pellet experiences. I do have a Thermapen and I have the smoke by thermoworks also.

Hello thanks! I currently have a weber gas grill and a PBC (Pit Barrel Cooker). I've also had a BGE, a Yoder and a Camp Chef pellet smoker years ago. I found that I never had as much time as I thought to be able to use these other ones so I ended up selling them. So I have used pellet and charcoal smokers/grills before but I'm not a pro by any means. I understand that the Smokefire is going to be a little different to use than my other pellet experiences. I do have a Thermapen and I have the smoke by thermoworks also.
Awesome. The ESX should be a lot of fun.

Update the software, then do a burn off and you’re golden.

Congrats and enjoy. I truly love mine

Thank you all for the welcome. I have been reading and I see that most people use a drip pan for most low temp cooks. That means you aren't able to use the flavorizer bars or are they just for high heat cooks?

I’ve never used a drip pan and don’t see any reason to. The only time I use a pan is when I wrap

Welcome to the group and congrats on your EX6. Assemble it correctly, operate it correctly, and monitor your cooks and you’ll be rewarded. Weber now recommends using the BILT app for assembly. While assembling it remove the finger guard in the pellet hopper. 3 screws and only remove one at a time. I put UHMW on the long floor of the hopper. Mine is a gen1. With the gen2 you can use car polish to wax the hopper interior and the added slickness is good insurance against pellet bridging and flameout. If you’re on Facebook join the Weber Smokefire Woodfired pellet Grill Owners Group. We’re the group with 8.6K members. We built an owner generated FAQ. When I got my EX6 Weber recommended a burn in of 600 for 30 minutes. Have fun.

Last edited:
Speaking of the finger guard and slick tape, I did remove the guard in the beginning but never did add tape on my Gen 2. A pellet void hasn't happened often, but it has occurred as it did yesterday. I opened the hopper and saw an avalanche of pellets above the auger entry point. I guess I'll order a roll of tape, now.

1681734603376.png

(I wasn't using Weber branded pellets)

Welcome to the group and congrats on your EX6. Assemble it correctly, operate it correctly, and monitor your cooks and you’ll be rewarded. Weber now recommends using the BILT app for assembly. While assembling it remove the finger guard in the pellet hopper. 3 screws and only remove one at a time. I put UHMW on the long floor of the hopper. Mine is a gen1. With the gen2 you can use car polish to wax the hopper interior and the added slickness is good insurance against pellet bridging and flameout. If you’re on Facebook join the Weber Smokefire Woodfired pellet Grill Owners Group. We’re the group with 8.6K members. We built an owner generated FAQ. When I got my EX6 Weber recommended a burn in of 600 for 30 minutes. Have fun.
I joined, thank you, I was wondering if there was a FAQ around. I'll be sure to check that out.

Speaking of the finger guard and slick tape, I did remove the guard in the beginning but never did add tape on my Gen 2. A pellet void hasn't happened often, but it has occurred as it did yesterday. I opened the hopper and saw an avalanche of pellets above the auger entry point. I guess I'll order a roll of tape, now.

View attachment 69242

(I wasn't using Weber branded pellets)
What kind of tape are you using.

I'm not currently using tape, so I'd rather defer to @Lew Newby to answer this.

I'm not aware any other issue aside from pellet flow that would cause what happened yesterday.

Back